Subject: White Mountain - Chateau Stern Garrison question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Northman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hi!

I bought Saints in Armor recently and began punching and placing the White Mountain units on the map. Beautiful game, but it wasn't long before I was confused. The design notes on the chateau garrison says:

The three units inside the park were under the command of Wilhelm of Saxe-Weimar but...

(my emphasis) and the accompanying special rule says:

6. Star Palace Garrison:
The Saxe-Weimar and Jung-Anhalt HI units that set up inside the Chateau Stern complex are marked with a white border around their unit names. When inside the complex, these units are considered to always be In Command and they may ignore the requirement of Charge Orders to move closer to enemy units. If they leave the complex they are subject to the normal rules for command and orders.

The rule defining the Chateau Stern complex says:

C. Chateau Stern (Star Palace):
This complex is defined as the area within the walls on the south-eastern corner of the map. The Chateau Stern itself is the structure in hex 2426 and is treated as a Chateau hex. The light brown area near the Chateau (as in hex 2527) is the courtyard and is treated as normal clear terrain.

(my emphasis). So why does one of the three garrison units, a german Jung-Anhalt 5-6 set up in 2823, a hex outside the walls!?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata corrects that I believe
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.ee6f22d!enclosure=.1d...
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Northman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Thanks, that is very helpful!

This raises some other questions:

1. Why isn't the errata on GMTs site?

2. Why doesn't the file above show up when I google saints in armor errata consimworld?

3. How do I find errata in a similar situation with another wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that is very helpful!

This raises some other questions:

1. Why isn't the errata on GMTs site?
Because the after market errata and discussion is usually handled through consimworld.

2. Why doesn't the file above show up when I google saints in armor errata consimworld?
Who knows.

3. How do I find errata in a similar situation with another wargame?
Go look at consimworlds section for the game in question.

Golden rule, search engines do not always throw up what you want/need go read forums. If you cannot find it look at the links at the top of the section
eg. http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6f22d/12311

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually living rules versions of this game's rule books on GMT's site. They should have the most recent corrections in them (can't check at the moment if they are up to date, but that's the idea).

GMT is usually pretty good about posting living rules, FAQs and updates to their site, but some of the burden for that lies on the developers of the games to provide the files, I believe.

Oh, and I believe each new game in the M&P series contains errata for the previous games in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Northman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
One of the first things I did was checking the online playbook. It does not contain the errata.

The fact that each game contains errata for the previous games doesn't help when figuring out the latest game in the series.

Just saying. :-)

Besides the difficulty in locating the errata I love the game. When everything else seems so perfect, the little shortcomings become all the more glaring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully agree with the OP that the SiA errata should be readily available on BGG and not only on CSW. Preferably the Webpage for the game at www.GMTgames.com should also have it as a download.

Quote:
The fact that each game contains errata for the previous games doesn't help when figuring out the latest game in the series.

No, not directly, but the desire to get the errata might make more people beg/harass/plea/ask Ben Hull to get moving on the next volume in the MPBS series so the SiA errata can be printed alongside the others in that playbook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have missed this somewhere, is the a Volume VII planned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben has said he plans to do the battles of the Polish Deluge as the next volume, but I have no idea how far along the design is (or if he even working on it, as I know he has also working on other game projects)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
brian asklev aursen wrote:
...Preferably the Webpage for the game at www.GMTgames.com should also have it as a download.

You realize that as the designer you have the ability to request that GMT do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
consider it done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.