Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw recently that this game has been published in spanish, so after reading here that it can be played with a regular deck of cards we decided to try it out.

As I don't have 2 decks with the same background we decided it was ok to just play with 4 suits. My GF and I both really enjoyed the two 3 round games we played, and the difference of score for both of us was quite big from the first to the second game, as we started to understand the strategy... (28 to -53 the first time and 207 to 153 the second)

Right now, it seems to me that with 4 suits, there is quite a lot of competition for the expeditions, as there is less to choose from. We also saw that it wasn't such a good idea to do a lot of them simultaneously, and found that it was better to concentrate on 1 or 2 only, and only actually starting the big one when it was quite sure to be a hit...

Those are my impressions after a couple of games. Is the real game with 5 suits much different? Does it feel more "relaxed" as both players have more expeditions to choose from?

I guess I will eventually buy the real game because I enjoyed quite a lot and it looks so good. These short kind of games are easier to fit in when there's no time to play a longer, more involved game. And even if I discover I prefer playing with less suits, that's easy to solve too...

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
maka wrote:
Those are my impressions after a couple of games. Is the real game with 5 suits much different? Does it feel more "relaxed" as both players have more expeditions to choose from?

Jorge, I have only played the game with five suits as published, so it's interesting to read about your experience. I'd imagine that the game with five suits will feel both more relaxed and more tense to you: more relaxed because you might have an entire suit to yourself, and more tense because you might have, say, a green 7 and a blue 6 and 8 and not want to start those expeditions, yet not throw away the cards either because your opponent is starting them.

With five suits, you should have a harder time managing your cards since you're more likely to have cards from all five suits in your hand and not want to use them or throw them out. Give the real game a try sometime, and report back with your impression of the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
With five suits, you should have a harder time managing your cards since you're more likely to have cards from all five suits in your hand and not want to use them or throw them out.

Hadn't thought about that... I guess you're right.

I'll probably buy the game eventually, but not this month... I've spent too much already on games And now I was just reading about Battle Line which seems similar in some ways, different in others... I don't know, but I'll just wait a while and make an informed decision

Thanks!

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To get a similar feel with 4 suits, lower your hand size to 6. I've played many times this way, and it works great. (I've also bought two copies of Lost Cities.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
This is a minor thing but when playing with a regular deck of cards, I remove the Aces and use them as a place holder on the table for the discard stacks like the game board. This I think helps keep the game organized on the table. The first time I played with a regular deck we lacked that and its less clear what's happening. Especially if you are playing someone new.

BTW, when we played we used 7 cards in our hand, and it seemed fine but I might try 6 cards instead as was suggested previously. Anyone tried 6 versus 7 cards in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the same thing with the Aces. Real Lost Cities doesn't have 1's.

I haven't tried with 7 cards in hand, but it should work well.

Lost Cities: 8 cards in hand, 5 suits = 1.6 ratio

7 cards, 4 suits = 1.75
6 cards, 4 suits = 1.5

It's pretty close either way. A 6-card hand is just a smidge tighter than real Lost Cities, and 7 cards is a tad looser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we played this with a deck of cards on a recent camping trip. I used the following rules (based on taking a ~4/5 ratio of everything from the original game):

4 suits, remove the aces and 9's 10's and kings, jacks and queens are "handshakes"

handsize of 6

expeditions start with -12 points

Worked pretty well, but was a tad too tight...I think the game is better with the extra suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isley, you should try without removing the 9/10/K. I think preserving the "9 number-cards (2-10) plus 3 investment cards per suit" is a good idea. You don't have to scale *every* aspect of the game when playing with one suit less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Perlini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting topic.

I'm interested to know more recent sessions with 4 suits. Is there a general agreement to have a 6 cards hand? And what about the 20 threshold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.