Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] To The Edge [2014 Card Game Design Contest] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an entry for the 2014 Card Game Design Contest.



Designed by Daniel Isom

2 or more players | 1 minute to infinity playing time | Suitable for all ages

Summary: A dexterity game where players flick, push, or slide a card across a table to score points by having dots on the card hanging off the edge.

Components: 1 Card

Game File: To The Edge Card

Contest Discussion Thread: 2014 Card Game Design Contest

Contest Geeklist: [geeklist=174468][/geeklist]

Contest Categories to win:
Best Single Card Game
Most Creative
Voter's Choice
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but surely only less then half of the card could ever stick out? So you can only ever get 1 or 2 points max? The 3 and 4 sections seem pointless...

Wouldn't a design like this make more sense

1 2 1
2 3 2
3 X 3
2 3 2
1 2 1

Or maybe you can just populate the card with dots and score a point for each dot that's completely over the edge. Nice and simple!

Koen
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
khendrix wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but surely only less then half of the card could ever stick out? So you can only ever get 1 or 2 points max? The 3 and 4 sections seem pointless...

Wouldn't a design like this make more sense

1 2 1
2 3 2
3 X 3
2 3 2
1 2 1

Or maybe you can just populate the card with dots and score a point for each dot that's completely over the edge. Nice and simple!

Koen


I like the idea of the more-points side though, because then it becomes tricky to try and get that side on the edge, rather than the one that might be closer to the edge.

Maybe you could do that and have the one with all the dots? Lots of dots on one side, fewer on the other side, perhaps?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
khendrix wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but surely only less then half of the card could ever stick out? So you can only ever get 1 or 2 points max? The 3 and 4 sections seem pointless...

Wouldn't a design like this make more sense

1 2 1
2 3 2
3 X 3
2 3 2
1 2 1

Or maybe you can just populate the card with dots and score a point for each dot that's completely over the edge. Nice and simple!

Koen


Some really great ideas here. To answer your first question, those sections would only be useless if you were to flick the card straight across the table. If you flick to one side of the card, you can get it to spin, allowing for the other side of thr card to be hanging of the table.

I do like the grid design idea better than the dots idea because it'd be easier to tell whether a box was off the table rather than a single dot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:

I like the idea of the more-points side though, because then it becomes tricky to try and get that side on the edge, rather than the one that might be closer to the edge.

Maybe you could do that and have the one with all the dots? Lots of dots on one side, fewer on the other side, perhaps?


This is an interesting idea. Would the dots be in a straight line or scattered within each section?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
I'd say scattering would be cool. It'd be trickier to get the wider edge off the table, so maybe you could put more dots there, because then people will want to take the risk of falling. In case that made no sense, I made a diagram:

_________________
| more |
| less|
| |
|less |
|________more____|
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job!

With more than one cards it's possible to get under other cards as counterweight, creating almost impossible situations

Like...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
disom wrote:
To answer your first question, those sections would only be useless if you were to flick the card straight across the table. If you flick to one side of the card, you can get it to spin, allowing for the other side of thr card to be hanging of the table.

I see what you mean, but (if I understand your rules) once the 5 hangs off you get 5 points, regardless of whether the 4 hangs off or not, as 5 is the maximum of those two. So even taking spin into account, the higher value should always be closest to the center of the card.

Anyway great one-card idea! I've been trying to come up with one too but I've failed so far. meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried some different variations of dots and boxes and have come up with a new card that utilizes dots.



As Koen said, the higher value should be closest to the center of the card so what I did was put more dots towards the center of the card.

And I agreed with Tanner that more points should be to the long edge so with more dots concentrated to the center, it accomplishes that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be great printed on a transparent plastic card so you can see where the edge of the table is through the card... But maybe without the rules on the back side.

Also, careful about your use of colors. I understand that you want a color scheme to make the card more interesting, but colors can convey information. In this case, since all the dots on the top are blue and all the dots on the bottom are orange, I thought that this would have some significance in gameplay, like the blue dots would be worth more points or something.
Not a big deal, and maybe most people don't think this is an issue, but food for thought anyway.

Nice job on the single card category.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ransoing wrote:
This would be great printed on a transparent plastic card so you can see where the edge of the table is through the card... But maybe without the rules on the back side.

Also, careful about your use of colors. I understand that you want a color scheme to make the card more interesting, but colors can convey information. In this case, since all the dots on the top are blue and all the dots on the bottom are orange, I thought that this would have some significance in gameplay, like the blue dots would be worth more points or something.
Not a big deal, and maybe most people don't think this is an issue, but food for thought anyway.

Nice job on the single card category.


I love the idea of printing on a transparent plastic card. Another idea would be to print the same image on the front and back so you could look underneath the lip of the table if it was close. But I think the transparent card would work better.

I understand what you mean about the use of colors. I could mix the blue and orange dots but I don't know if that changes the feel that they are conveying information.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed the colors and had some copies printed. Of course there were some minor errors noticed after the order but they were minor so the next batch will be corrected.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.