Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand the combat table. If you had Earthling infantry (4) attacking a Saucer (2). You could never hurt the Martians even though you have 2-1 odds. The table seems to suggest you always take the Martian rating and divide by Earthlings. Yet the rules say it is Attacker Combat divided by the target. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You're right. The CRT is highly counter-intuitive. And yes the infantry has no chance against saucers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you think that is a mistake? Are the rules for using the table just worded poorly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to fire off an e-mail to One Small Step, myself, but I finally figured it out.

Why does the Juggernaut cost so much if it only has a rating of one?! Why does it say the Angry Mob "is not strong on offense, but can wipe out Martian units that attack it"? Do they have to wait to be activated by an attack? And then the rules say the Artillery is "weak on defense" but "more effective attacks than Infantry or Calvary". What?! But the number is LOWER!

That's when scientific progress went "boink". wow

The combat ratio for the CRT is always Attacker divided by Defender. This means, for the Earthlings, a high number is great for defense, but poor for attacks. A low number is just the opposite: ideal for attacking and getting ME results!

This is terribly clever and delightfully thematic. Is rifle fire from your infantry really a threat to a Walker?! Of course not! You need BIG GUNS! However, big guns are also big targets, and they are easily damaged.

I was hoping to try this 2P first, but having figured all that out, I may need to try a solitaire rune first! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Compton
United States
La Plata
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Infantry is a poor match to ATTACK the saucer. It is great for BLOCKING the saucer. Use Artillery to ATTACK the saucer at 1-1 odds, or the Super Hero to get 1-2 odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched this video which laments the combat table at about 4:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQBUPjfeg04

Is there some gameplay or scenario specific reason to take anything other than a hero if a hero has a 2/3 chance of killing a martian with every attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Compton
United States
La Plata
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Here is the OSS response to the blogger:

"We can't help the blogger guy with his preferences, but we can help him with the rules.

Saucers do not land at the end of movement. The only function of the "Lander" side is to place the Saucer on the board. It "Lands" inside of what is basically an artillery shell fired from Mars. The rules describe the Lander side of Martian units as the "Inactive" side. The face of Martian counters is the "Active" side. There is a phase during which players are allowed to "Activate" units. There is nothing in the rules that allows players to "Deactivate" units. Therefore, when a Saucer Activates to its face-up side, it stays face-up for the remainder of the game.

Minions are hosted by the Martian HQ. When the HQ enters play, the Martian player draws a Minion at random and places it face-up near the HQ. While that Minion is Active, it provides a special benefit to the Martian player. When the Earthling destroy a Martian unit, the current Minion is executed by the Martian Overlord for incompetence and a new one is randomly drawn.

The black silhouette counters and markers and the color bust counters and markers for the Champions and Minions are not used simultaneously. Players choose one set or the other. (The black silhouettes look more like the rest of the counters. The colored busts look cooler. Float you boat.)

The map is a meticulous tracing of the street layout of London from real London maps from the 1880s. We simplified (removed the parks and some of the minor water features because they were distracting.

The CRT is intentionally counter-intuitive. The designer (Bill Banks) and the publisher (One Small Step Games) produced a game that was fast-playing and fun. There was no effort or interest (outside of creating the map) in capturing "historical accuracy." We included spectacular Infernal Machines and Champions to make for a flavorful, humorous, and replayable experience.

The game plays in about 40-60 minutes. In spite of this blogger's appraisal, we recommend giving the game a good play. We think you will enjoy it. We also invite the blogger to play online with an Ares staff member -- best out of three?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Compton
United States
La Plata
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Daniel,

The Hero kills one Martian and then Escapes. This removes the Hero from the game. Here is the rule:

“HERO
The Hero can’t Attack and is automatically captured when Attacked.
The Martian player must show the selected Objective to the Earthling.
(Curses!) The Hero destroys any one Martian unit on the map and
escapes his Martian captors. This removes the Hero from the game.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.