2 Posts

Hare & Tortoise» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Carrots or Lettuce? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Todd
United States
flag msg tools
I had initially bought this game to play with my 6 year old son. It took me almost a week to get it on the table but I finally did. I was happily surprised by the decisions you must make. When should I eat my lettuce? When should I stay put and get more carrots? When, when, when... That was pretty much what my mind was doing during this game. That's a big plus considering I had thought of it as a kid game in the beginning. The addition made it more difficult for my son than I had thought it would but my cousin and I kept that straight so things went rather smoothly. The rules are straight forward and cover everything they need to without bogging down into the blah,blah,blah I seem to begin to read after a certain amount of pages. The pages were in color with illustrations showing examples. This just made it that much easier to understand and sped the learning part of the game up considerably.

The game comes with a nice (albeit crowded) board that tells you almost everything you need to know at glance. The player-aid for figuring how much to pay for movement made it all the easier to help my son with his movements. Without this we could have been playing for a little bit longer than we did I think. The player markers are easily distinguishable between each other and aren't overly large. I'd say they are roughly the size of a 50 cent piece. The cards are a bit thin for my liking especially considering how much they are handled during the game. They should hold up well enough though. The game also comes with 1d6 used for rolling your action when you stop on a rabbit (hare) space.

This game is very easy to get people into considering how simple the mechanics are. If they're not too prone to thinking ahead though they could end up in bad shape and far behind fairly quick. My son enjoyed it even though he did finish last. That was mainly because he didn't understand how to move effectively IMO. As a teaching (math reinforcement if you will) game for 1st - 3rd grade kids I think it is a great choice. Plus they still have the fond memories of the story about The Hare and the Tortoise fresh in their minds. I know I don't remember the whole story, just the moral of it. That could be enough to get them to play.

I would highly recomend this one as a family game. It is easy to understand and get into the theme. There is a nice comepetive quality to it that makes you plan your moves so you can get the most carrots and therefore move the furthest if you so choose. If you're looking for a competitive family game with a racing theme it would be hard to go wrong with this one.

Overall score:

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.