Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Shaw
United Kingdom
Hartlebury
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This power is used as a tactic to fight with 3 dice and, if the highest die equal's target number, you both succeed and fail the roll.

I understand that if this is being used when attacking a blight as a Hero action, success will mean destruction of the blight but loss of one grace, but what happens if I use Poison Arrow in a combat against a monster blight at the end of turn phase?

During this phase winning a combat against the monster does not destroy the blight, but nothing happens to the hero, so does a successful roll (if equal to the target number)which would normally mean no harmful effect, mean that the Ranger still loses one grace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't necessarily losing grace - it depends on the blight that you fought.

Anyway, when fighting at the end of your turn, if you both lose and win, then you still face the penalties for losing. You gain nothing for winning under these circumstances (unless some power or other effects says otherwise).

Basically -
Winning = nothing. Losing = something. Nothing + Something = Something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Shaw
United Kingdom
Hartlebury
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response.

It would seem that Poison Arrow is not particularly helpful in these circumstances.

Unless I have misunderstood the rules all monster blights apart from crows will cause loss of grace if the hero is defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most monster blights inflict a wound, which requires you to spend grace or die. "Losing" grace is slightly different (see page 4 of the rulebook).

If a combat has a failure effect but no success effect, then rolling exactly the target number with Poison Arrow gives the same result as if you had failed. However, if the target number is between 2 and 5 (inclusive), then 3 dice with Poison Arrow is still better than 1 die with no tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Shaw
United Kingdom
Hartlebury
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy, thanks for that explanation.

I did realise the difference between choosing to spend grace, or dying, and losing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.