Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Welcome, to the WORLD OF TOMORROW! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BSG-Fan-Expansion [+] [View All]
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
One of my favorite science-fiction shows focuses on the crew of a ship, with politics, battles, and some evil robots thrown in. There's even religious tension in many episodes. I am of course talking about Futurama. So, what a better show to port into BSG?

I have here a list of characters that would replace the official characters in a BSG game. Some of them would necessitate expansions be used (Nixon, for example, has a treachery draw), but most would work in any arrangement.

I tried to balance their draws based on conventions from the official cards, and tried to get them abilities that were thematic, different from the official game, and balanced (i.e. stronger drawback for stronger abilities).

I'm thinking at some point it would be fun to mod a PBF with these characters.

Some of my favorite abilities include Nibbler's OPG (Poop Dark Matter: drop Food by 1 to raise Fuel by 1), Lrrr's OPT (Intimidation: When you activate Armory or Weapon's Control, draw a Politics skill card), and Flexo's negative Evil Bender that will change how you approach sleeper. The characters Hypnotoad and Morbo are also top favorites of mine.

So...comments? Critiques? Which ones are your favorites? Let me know!

Images have been updated to their latest version as of November 29, 2014, 10:40 AM Pacific Time. Unless there are any glaring issues, these will be the set that will be used in the PBF game when it starts up.

Political Leaders







Military Leaders







Pilots







Support





Cylon Leaders








Succession:

19 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww, perfect title!

I actually got a bit of a sneak preview of this.
Extremely creative, in my opinion.
I'll definitely be printing them off and using them next time I play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally think these cross-over variants for BSG are a bit unnecessary, but in this case I'm impressed, if for no other reason than because you've done a solid job of grafting the Futurama theme onto BSG mechanics.

Since there are so many characters, I'm going to try to limit my comments to those I think are problematic, because otherwise my post would be SUPER long. I will say that, generally speaking, I think they're all pretty funny and some of the mechanics you've come up with are interesting.

You seem to have fewer Political Leaders than other categories- have you considered making a card for a DOOP-affiliated leader? (I also think it's odd to have Wernstrom as a PL instead of Support.) I might also have moved Morbo to PL instead of ML, but that's more a personal taste thing, I think.

Amy's drawback needs clarification- what does it mean that the roll is the max amount she can contribute? The max number of cards?

Mom is a bit of a mixed bag. Her drawback might never or rarely come into play (especially depending on where she is in the succession track). Her abilities are also almost exclusively pro-human; a Cylon Mom is going to have little incentive to stay hidden.

Zapp... is interesting. His drawback paired with his ability to draw 6 cards... I'm not sure. Is it really a drawback? I mean, sure, he only nets 4 cards per turn instead of the usual 5, but he gets to pick the best 4 of 6. However, his OPG needs tweaking, IMO. I understand the theme (and approve of it, obvi), but would change it to: "Once per game, when you would be sent to a hazardous location, choose another character. That character is sent to the location instead."

Lrrr is also interesting, but his per-turn seems very weak (how often are you really going to be activating Armory or WC?).

Smitty/URL- I'd change the wording of their drawback to "When activating Communications or Command, you may only activate one ship of the appropriate type instead of two."

Morbo's drawback is effectively only a drawback half the time. Given that it's not going to come up much anyway (since it only activates on crisis card choices on his turn), I think it might be best to just make it 1-4 top choice, 5-8 bottom.

How does Fry's drawback actually work? Do you still draw 3 cards at the beginning and then only 2 cards on your first actual turn? I'm a little skittish about abilities that do things like that, because otherwise you might be sitting around without much to do (like Sam Anders). That's more a personal thing, but I don't think that sort of drawback is much fun.

Zoidberg's OPG is of no use to a Cylon player.

Calculon's OPG should be "Role of a Lifetime", I think.

The Robot Devil's theme is hilarious, but it seems like forcing him to move to the Resurrection Ship every time a Cylon reveals is harsh. What if he's infiltrating at the time? I mean, actions are already pretty limited for Cylon Leaders, so this seems like it might handicap him significantly (since, as a drawback, it functions both to deny him cards when he starts his next turn because he's on a hazardous location, and penalizes him in terms of overall action-taking, because he's wasting turns moving back and forth and/or infiltrating).

Roberto's theme is also funny, but I'd again ask if his drawback is reasonable. He starts in the brig- okay, sure, but is anyone actually going to let him out? It seems like you might just be forcing him to download and re-infiltrate or just kind of cross fingers that the humans are feeling generous.

Anyway, on the whole, good effort- I think you've captured the theme well. If you do a PBF of this, make sure you post a link here...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well done sir!

Now if only someone could make an overlay for the board with the Planet Express ship as Galactica.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
You seem to have fewer Political Leaders than other categories- have you considered making a card for a DOOP-affiliated leader? (I also think it's odd to have Wernstrom as a PL instead of Support.) I might also have moved Morbo to PL instead of ML, but that's more a personal taste thing, I think.


There are just as many political leaders as there are pilots and military leaders. I just have more support and cylon leaders in comparison to the base 3 classes. Wernstrom I chose for PL because he is quite often some politician’s science officer, although he just blackmails his way into getting out of doing anything. Morbo I could see as PL, but I couldn’t see any of the other PLs as a ML, so that’s why he’s there. Besides, he’s always talking about destroying people…

Part of the problem is that some classes (Pilots especially) were hard to fill, while still getting all the characters in here.

Quote:
Amy's drawback needs clarification- what does it mean that the roll is the max amount she can contribute? The max number of cards?


Yes, max number of cards (max number of public knowledge things). I shall clarify.

Quote:
Mom is a bit of a mixed bag. Her drawback might never or rarely come into play (especially depending on where she is in the succession track). Her abilities are also almost exclusively pro-human; a Cylon Mom is going to have little incentive to stay hidden.


She can move the Raiders in a non-human way, but that would be a soft reveal. Some characters just are pro-human, there isn’t much way around it. Could you think of a better option for her OPG, or a way to make her OPG also be pro-cylon (without feeling like 2 different abilities)?

Quote:
Zapp... is interesting. His drawback paired with his ability to draw 6 cards... I'm not sure. Is it really a drawback? I mean, sure, he only nets 4 cards per turn instead of the usual 5, but he gets to pick the best 4 of 6. However, his OPG needs tweaking, IMO. I understand the theme (and approve of it, obvi), but would change it to: "Once per game, when you would be sent to a hazardous location, choose another character. That character is sent to the location instead."


That’s another possibility I’m considering, along with “if you and another character are on a hazardous location, you may move out.”

Quote:
Lrrr is also interesting, but his per-turn seems very weak (how often are you really going to be activating Armory or WC?).


Maybe more often now that you get politics cards out of it

Quote:
Smitty/URL- I'd change the wording of their drawback to "When activating Communications or Command, you may only activate one ship of the appropriate type instead of two."


Good rewording.

Quote:
Morbo's drawback is effectively only a drawback half the time. Given that it's not going to come up much anyway (since it only activates on crisis card choices on his turn), I think it might be best to just make it 1-4 top choice, 5-8 bottom.


Fair enough. Although since the top choice is a skill check and bottom is almost always bad, maybe 1-2 Bottom, 3-6 Top, 7-8 your choice.

Quote:
How does Fry's drawback actually work? Do you still draw 3 cards at the beginning and then only 2 cards on your first actual turn? I'm a little skittish about abilities that do things like that, because otherwise you might be sitting around without much to do (like Sam Anders). That's more a personal thing, but I don't think that sort of drawback is much fun.


I may just make it “During setup, or on your first turn if you are the first player, draw 3 less.” The nice thing about these types of negatives is that after the first turn they’re out of the way.

Quote:
Zoidberg's OPG is of no use to a Cylon player.


True, but many OPG abilities are generally pro-Human. What would you recommend instead?

Quote:
Calculon's OPG should be "Role of a Lifetime", I think.


Good catch.

Quote:
The Robot Devil's theme is hilarious, but it seems like forcing him to move to the Resurrection Ship every time a Cylon reveals is harsh. What if he's infiltrating at the time? I mean, actions are already pretty limited for Cylon Leaders, so this seems like it might handicap him significantly (since, as a drawback, it functions both to deny him cards when he starts his next turn because he's on a hazardous location, and penalizes him in terms of overall action-taking, because he's wasting turns moving back and forth and/or infiltrating).

Roberto's theme is also funny, but I'd again ask if his drawback is reasonable. He starts in the brig- okay, sure, but is anyone actually going to let him out? It seems like you might just be forcing him to download and re-infiltrate or just kind of cross fingers that the humans are feeling generous.


These are some good points. Do you have better suggestions for me?

Quote:
Anyway, on the whole, good effort- I think you've captured the theme well. If you do a PBF of this, make sure you post a link here...


I definitely will! And if I don’t run it, it would be fun to see someone else run it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs15 wrote:
There are just as many political leaders as there are pilots and military leaders.


Oh! I mis-counted.

Quote:
She can move the Raiders in a non-human way, but that would be a soft reveal. Some characters just are pro-human, there isn’t much way around it. Could you think of a better option for her OPG, or a way to make her OPG also be pro-cylon (without feeling like 2 different abilities)?


(Mom) What if it was, "Once per game, before the Cylon Activation step of a crisis, you may choose a different Cylon Activation to have instead"?

Quote:
True, but many OPG abilities are generally pro-Human. What would you recommend instead?


(Zoidberg) What if it was something like, "Once per game, you may send another player to Sickbay and destroy all Centurions on the Boarding Track"?

(Roberto) What if Roberto's drawback was something like... "If you are infiltrating, at the end of your turn, roll a die. On a 1-3, you are sent to the Brig." (Still trying to thematically capture the fact that he's a criminal, so the longer he stays around the humans, the likelier he is to be caught...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I could go with those changes for Zoidberg and Mom. In fact, I think I will (the other option would be "every Human player on your location to Sickbay", so if they bunch up you can move and send them all).

I prefer Roberto's current negative to the one suggested...his OPT makes it harder for him to go back into the brig, which would sort of balance out, but I hadn't considered the number of actions available.

I don't want to go with something that encourages him to avoid infiltration, but I do like the idea of the brig. Worst case scenario is I could scrap him from the list; it's not like you need 7 CLs for a mod.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The reason I wanted Zapp's to be "on getting out" instead of "instead of going in" to a hazardous location, is I didn't want it to just be a more powerful version of the Professor's OPG ability.

This way, he has to work for it, but then he can use it. I will probably change it to "when Zapp leaves a hazardous location, he may send another player to the Brig."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Lrrr..."whenever you roll a die as a result of activating a location, draw a politics card"
OR
"Whenever you activate Weapons Control, Armory, or Command, draw a politics card"

Which is better?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs15 wrote:
Lrrr..."whenever you roll a die as a result of activating a location, draw a politics card"
OR
"Whenever you activate Weapons Control, Armory, or Command, draw a politics card"

Which is better?

You forgot FTL Control... But it is possible Command activation does not cause any dierolls, so they're different anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
That's why I gave two options and asked which was better. FTL control doesn't entirely fit thematically (jumping away instead of towards the fight) and Command might not be used to attack, but the more broad "any time you roll" also covers peggy.

On the other hand, moving ships into position is aggressive, as is attacking. It would just be too wordy and I'd rather avoid expansion-specific references as much as possible (i.e. CLs or Treachery could come from 2 expansions, executions from 2, but Peggy/Demetrius are from 1).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
New idea for Roberto:

OPT: Hostages: Action: Draw 1 Politics or Tactics card for each other player on your location.

NEG: Lunatic: Any time you roll a natural 1 while infiltrating, you are sent to the brig.

Robot Devil:

NEG: Welcome to Robot Hell: If a cylon player reveals, you must discard down to 5 cards. If at 5 cards or less, discard 1 card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
For Lrrr, maybe...
"Whenever your action causes you to activate vipers, launch nukes, or use a location to attack Centurions or Cylon ships, draw a politics card."

That would cover:
Nukes
Command
Weapons Control+Armory
Peggy locations
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why use the word "you may activate (for Smitty's weakness) that when you activate Cmmd, only activate one viper or one civvy from Comms?

Any work done on the movie characters?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Would like to see something for Lars, Leelu, and Nudar


Theme music's always appropriate (extended edition from the movie)...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, let me be frank. You rock like it's nobody's business.

I'm not a big fan of rethemes. I liked BSG, but the friend that had a copy left the country.

I might end up buying it myself and using this retheme for it. Some abilities could probably use some small adjustments, I'll have another, more in depth, look at them during the weekend.

You are a genius, this is so incredibly awesome!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Andrew!

Today or tomorrow I'll be updating some of the cards and then editing the original thread to show the updates. I have gotten a lot of good feedback so far; some grammar/clarification fixes and some "that ability is horrible omg change it" changes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I changed Lrrr's to:

Whenever you perform a hostile action, draw a Politics skill card.
Hostile actions include: activating Command, launching a nuke, or using a location to roll the die to attack the cylons.

The last fragment in that sentence should cover Armory, Weapons Control, and Peggy locations, but not FTL control. The wording with the clarification is because if I made it too verbose, the joke would be lost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Trigiani
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm in if you decide to start a pbf game.

One thing I noticed, Zoidberg is weak. His OPG should have a cylon use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
It's been updated to "send all other characters on your location to sickbay and destroy all centurions". Well, slightly more verbose, but you get the idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs15 wrote:
It's been updated to "send all other characters on your location to sickbay and destroy all centurions". Well, slightly more verbose, but you get the idea.

I like that.
If there are no centurions then he can move to a location with multiple other people and screw them all over without harming the cylons at all. devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Yep! Might make it harder on Kif...

Here's my rough draft for lines of succession. I'm not sure if it's perfect or not, but I definitely think it needs to be there for the game to work.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Updated versions posted. Unless there's any huge issues, I'd like these to be the set until there's been some plays with them.

I have received a good Cylon Leader and Political Leader by PM. If I can get a good Military Leader and Pilot as well, I will add in all 4.

However, I don't want this to get too out of hand, so I am going to only accept one more for each of those categories. In other words, no more new Political Leaders, Cylon Leaders, or Support, and only 1 more of each Pilot and Military Leader.

This weekend, I'll play around with the PBF tools, and if I find them workable, I will probably start a PBF game soon.

---

I do have ideas for a new rule for new crises (based on a mechanic from the Firefly board game) and I have an idea for an objective that would be like a much watered-down variant of New Caprica (i.e. it all takes place in the normal space phase, but you have to evacuate the civvies using Communications and/or escorting them instead of just jumping). Maybe some new destinations as well.

Definitely no new skill cards, mutiny cards, or loyalty cards (too random to be relevant), and probably no new Quorum cards (the last one isn't set in stone).

However, the first game I run will only include the new characters as the variant. All of the other stuff will come later. Mainly because I'm too lazy to do it all right now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This weekend, I'll play around with the PBF tools, and if I find them workable, I will probably start a PBF game soon.
That would be awesome! i'd definitely be up for that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
Quote:
This weekend, I'll play around with the PBF tools, and if I find them workable, I will probably start a PBF game soon.
That would be awesome! i'd definitely be up for that.


Ditto. I've never been involved in a PBF, but if you're willing to take on a newbie I'd like to give it a try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs15 wrote:
Yep! Might make it harder on Kif...

Here's my rough draft for lines of succession. I'm not sure if it's perfect or not, but I definitely think it needs to be there for the game to work.



Succession refers to Scruffy, but I don't see a Scruffy card
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.