Hide
4 Posts

City of Remnants» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yugai patrol and cards in hand or draw pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A D
msg tools
In one of my games, my opponent and I were battling to the point where we exhausted our hand of cards and only had like 2 card left in our draw pile.

At the end of the player turns, we started the Yugai patrol phase.

My opponent was unlucky because the Yugai patrols landed in 3 of her squares and one of them had two of her member figures in it. None of her figures had support from adjacent squares either.

On her first battle she blindly drew the remaining cards in her draw deck and unfortunately non of them were gang member cards; plus her dice roll was a poor one and she lost the battle (removed one of her unit cards from her discard pile and removed the gang figure from the board.

At this point all of her cards were in the discard pile. She still have 3 more battles with Yugai patrols whose attack value was a minimum of 5. She lost all of them by a long shot. All in all she lost 4 unit cards and 4 gang member figures.

She was never able to recover after that because I was now on the attack and my economy was good enough to take all of the good gang member cards.

My question is whether we were playing the game right in the Yugai patrol phase? Because her draw pile only had 2 cards, she had no cards in her hand and her gang members had no adjacent gang members; as a result the Yugai patrols killed quite a bit of her gang (in addition to them having a pretty high attack value).

It seemed unfair to end like that because I was about to lose a lot of my developments in the turns to come.

So is it that we were playing the game wrong, or was it poor hand management?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were playing right, sounds like a learning experience, keeping your guys tight in spots where you need to hold (being able to roll 6+ dice will beat the Yugai a lot all by itself) and keeping money or cards ready to go for the patrol phase.

However, the "unbalance" of where Yugai lands was not a fluke, that happens in this game, and can definitely influence the outcome. For anyone that doesn't enjoy the fun of that, that'll be a big negative for CoR. I was just playing this last weekend and it happens, however our group found this aspect enjoyable. More narrative, more challenge, etc.

Also it is indeed possible to get crushed in this game by the Yugai or other players. Especially the red faction, with an inexperienced player they can fall way behind in the economy game, but with an aggressive player they can be quite terrifying to other plays and can end their games. Once again not something everyone can stomach, although your situation was quite extreme and will be much less common in the future as your group learns their lessons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Only one square can be contested with each movement action. If played correctly the player who did not initiate combat had the opportunity to pick 'refresh' as their last action before patrols landed.

(2) She has the option to bribeing the yugai patrols away and thus not fighting them.

(3) It's really tough to wage multiple combats a turn, without multiple refreshes. So there may have been some hand mismanagement.

(4) Strageically speaking, combat generally needs to be waged for a purpose. If you were fighting over some prime real estate, or thought you were in a better position than your opponent - your doing it right.

Otherwise what you describe does appear to be a correct application of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
Okay good to know that it was mismanagement on our part (well more hers) and that it's also luck of the draw. I'm starting to discover that hand management is key to this game and a refresh action is your friend.

This was our second time playing the game. The first game I cited incorrect rules and we ran out of time. This time she got so frustrated that she as essentially gave up, plus I was strategically trying to take her out of the game, while maintaining a decent deck and stash of money for Yugai bribes.

I to like the Yugai patrol aspect of the game. I think it fits the theme of the game well enough. Though I have been thinking about adding some house roles where by the first couple of turns the patrols don't come out. Or based on a number of controlled developments I would draw 1 or 2 Yugai patrols cards.

The reason why I would consider adding these rules is to not force players to go conservative for their gameplay. Part of the fun I enjoy about this game is methodically moving your thugs over for an attack to disrupt production lines and renown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.