Subject: SwissRunner - Another tournament managment option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe my first foray into web coding is now ready for the harsh eyes of judgement. So without further ado.

http://swiss.tearcell.com/

SwissRunner is a semi generic Swiss Style tournament organizer. More info can be found on its own page. It's considered beta software, but I've used it for the last couple local tournaments I've attended, and it seems to hold up to the test.

What do you get from SwissRunner?
*Web based. Its been marginally tested on some major browsers! If your device has a browser you can use it.
*Supports Late entry and Early dropping. For those times when the tournament attendees aren't quite perfect.
*Ugly! It's really ugly. So over time it can only get better! I mean seriously, look at the color combos.
*Ongoing development. Got quite a few more features I intend to support! Right now working on non-anonymous sign in which leads to database back up which leads to proper on going league support! Hope to have the first two rolled out by the weekend.

I've had fun developing this, and hopefully some of you will find it useful. I'm currently hunting for any show stopping bugs, so if you use it and find one, let me know. I believe it's pretty resistant to most anything you can throw at it. I'm also taking requests on usability. Knowing how to use something can cloud that pretty quickly, a little to close to the source...

In any case feel free to contact me via the given email or PM here with any questions, comments, love, hate, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the way it looks is really not up to current standards, sorry to be first to say that. If this is your first foray into web development, there's a lot to learn. Start with Bootstrap.

In general, web-based tool for tournaments makes very little sense, as usually, TO wants to streamline his process as much as possible. This means using tablet/phone or a laptop, often in places where access to the internet is not possible (underground, no wifi, etc.) or somewhat problematic (huge cons, shops, etc.).

In other words, well... it's good that you had fun doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. Just means I need to work harder.

What prompted me to build this to begin with were real life events in which it would have been useful (PAX East 2014 tournament springs to mind, with people coming and going all throughout the day), but it is important to remember other realistic scenarios. Thankfully I designed it with some frameworks in mind that should meet those needs as well.

Honestly, thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it is a very good effort! It's not nearly as ugly as you claim. It's intuitive, easy to use, and most importantly it seems to work well! My main qualm is that it doesn't have a feature to make preliminary groups to avoid pairing players for the first round.

I'm certain someone will have a use for this at some point, as we now have competent tournament organizers for IOS, browsers, and excel.

Great work and thanks for your contribution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, much appreciated.

In theory the seed function matches people of similar seed value for the first round and first round only. So people with seed 1 will be paired with other seed 1's first if possible, before being paired with seed 0's. But that's probably not clear from the interface nor is it quite 'preliminary group'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thing is awesome, no frills but it makes the late join / early leave thing really simple which I have been looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone whose checked out my tool and given advice. It's been invaluable.

I've taken it to heart (I rather like that bootstrap let me say!), and it should be a lot more pleasant to look at now. There are still a few odd offenders style wise, and I still may as well be color blind for the color choices... but I think it's pretty good work for the time spent so far.

Always more to do, and I'm happy to here any bugs or critiques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small feedback:

The flavor text on Janus 1.0 is "Face your fear." not "Face your fears.". :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
Small feedback:

The flavor text on Janus 1.0 is "Face your fear." not "Face your fears.".

Show Stopper! It's been fixed immediately! (seriously ;p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this very much!

The main thing that turns me off of it though, is that it a tournament is only persistent as long as the window remains open. Very risky! I hope you implement some sort of local save feature soon.

Otherwise, it's nice and clean.

Other features that would be nice to have are:
- Ability to export data (.csv format or some such)
- Better / more ways to view tournament history / reports
. For example, line graphs of player's prestige vs. round
- Double elimination bracket after swiss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like it!

Local/Database backup is pretty much my #1 priority. I hope to have good news on that front before the weekend is through.

Got tied up on the offline app version, which is the only reason for the delay thus far. Ionic Framework and AngularJS has a bit more a learning curve then I expected, but some good developments are being had there.

Otherwise:
- Ability to export data (.csv format or some such)
Seems very reasonable. It stores alot more data then it shows easily. At the least I can output it in some useful format to massage.

- Better / more ways to view tournament history / reports
I think I'll need to get login and persistent database support for this to be viable.

. For example, line graphs of player's prestige vs. round
Ah, yes well that certainly doesn't need database anything. I'll see if I can't find some handy graph plugins and see what comes of it.

- Double elimination bracket after swiss.
Double and Single elimination bracket creation along with Round Robin support will come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Great to hear you're still working on this. Do you intend to monetize this later? If not, do you have any plans to release source code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.