United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This applies to other race using games as well as TI. How much do you/do you like to play as much as you can to your particular race? And by that, I mean less sticking to the playstyle, and more sticking to the personality.

As an example from a game I played, my SO ended a game of TI (for me) simply by doing what he thought the Jol'Naar would do. The political card came up that involved the exploitation of an artifact found on Mecatol Rex. If it was exploited, there was a 50-50 chance of either everyone getting free tech, or everything on Mecatol... exploding. I had the secret objective that involved having basically all of my military on Mecatol... so I did. Naturally, I did not want to take the risk. However, the vote came down to him. And though I offered him everything I could spare... he voted to investigate the artifact.

I was furious to discover that I lost everything I had been building up to. It took me weeks to forgive him, and the reason I did it was because... well... he was playing his race, and playing them well.

Since then, my playgroup has started keeping a spreadsheet, to remember how the races have interacted in the past, so that we can keep that in mind when we play. It's added an interesting psychological mechanic to the game.

So, how much do you "play your race" in games? Any interesting stories to tell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just skimmed it but I think you're taking things too seriously when you are upset at someone for weeks for making a play... Games are supposed to be fun!

I will usually follow to the designated playstyle for my character/race/class etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Dunlap
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I say furious, I don't mean it with all seriousness... it was kind of play-mad, "I cannot believe you did that!" type of furious.

To be fair, I could also argue that I was acting as the Mentak would have.arrrh

In the end, it ended up being an intense, memorable part of the game that I have yet to encounter since, regardless of the fact that it was at my expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleetfiend wrote:

So, how much do you "play your race" in games?

In no way whatsoever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a memorable event, but its not related to twilight imperium. It was way back when I played munchkins. Usually my group plays quite cooperatively, even in competitive games, so my backstabbery in that one instance earned me the "wrath" of my friend. Years later, she still remembers it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excessive Force
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleetfiend wrote:
However, the vote came down to him. And though I offered him everything I could spare... he voted to investigate the artifact.

Regardless of his excuse it sounds like he made the correct choice. His goal is to help his own cause, and if that's not directly possible then hurt someone else's cause.

If someone was arguing strongly in favor of a specific decision without any obvious reason, I would probably also vote the other way. Especially on anything related to Mecatol given its importance in many secret objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any particular race makes me play in their personality directly, but I think with different races I'll have a different theme to my playing. With the Mentak I engage in smaller skirmish battles and expand quickly, with the L1z1x I expand slowly and send a single fleet of death. How much of that is the race personality vs the race rules I'm not sure.
I think race personality is also useful for those knife-edge decisions, early alliances, etc. It helps swing some of the balance sometimes. I'm just having trouble putting my finger on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Excessive Force wrote:
Fleetfiend wrote:
However, the vote came down to him. And though I offered him everything I could spare... he voted to investigate the artifact.

Regardless of his excuse it sounds like he made the correct choice. His goal is to help his own cause, and if that's not directly possible then hurt someone else's cause.

Well... we don't know how fat (and how credible) the bribe was. Maybe they should have taken it.

To the OP: not at all (except for table talk posturing). It's not a roleplaying game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
To the OP: not at all (except for table talk posturing). It's not a roleplaying game.

Agreed. Unless, of course, everyone at the table treats it as a roleplaying game. Even then, the goals of "trying score points and win" and "trying to stay in character and tell a good story" are often incompatible. It's difficult enough to stay in character in a real RPG when you are forced to choose between your maintaining your persona or doing something that is in your character's best interest. To have that expectation in a strategy board game seems untenable. How often do you see players break character in your TI3 games in order to go for the win? And is it difficult to judge when someone has crossed the line?

Your historical spreadsheet idea seems pretty weird to me. How do the past racial interactions have any bearing on a new story? Isn't every new game essentially a history reset button?

In any case, it sounds like your take on TI3 works with your group. I don't think I would ever consider playing that way, but to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a few races, if you play to their strengths, coincidentally make you play to their character.

Yssarril: Unless you willfully ignore your racial abilities, you'll end up playing as lurking, backstabbing manipulators.

Nekro Virus: Not having to buy techs means you'll have the resources to keep pumping out ships and menacing the galaxy, as you rapidly grow in power and technology. You can often win unless at least two people put aside their squabbles to save the galaxy from you.

Hacan: Your presence in the game means Trade will happen more often than most other games, and multiple players will be richer than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really let a race's flavor influence how I play, although as some of the above mention there are times when a race's abilities can affect certain strategies.

However, it's not uncommon in many of my games for players to find a thematic explanation for an action after the fact; the action wasn't influenced by the theme, but for us doing so just adds a little to the fun of the table talk, even if it's just "fluff".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the races abilities and techs lend them to play differently. The tactics used by Naalu are different than those used by Mentak for example. Other than that I play the game itself the same as a player.

For example: If you play the game say as mindnet and just attack everyone because it is "in character" you are just playing stupid, probably costing you and the poor sap next to you the game in the process.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
However, it's not uncommon in many of my games for players to find a thematic explanation for an action after the fact; the action wasn't influenced by the theme, but for us doing so just adds a little to the fun of the table talk, even if it's just "fluff".

Yes. That's what I was trying to put my finger on earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Yes. That's what I was trying to put my finger on earlier.

This!
Although I would add that every once in a great while, when confronted by two equally appealing choices, we'll choose to do the 'racially correct' decision, just because it fits.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.