Subject: Games with huge, sweeping customizable boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Michael Yohe
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I've never played HeroScape but I've seen pictures of the boards and man does that look cool. I love the idea of meticulously building a map all week and then having friends come over and game on it. I'm looking for board games that allow for this sort of thing. No miniature war games (Warhammer) or pen and paper games (D&D), I'm looking really for board games. I'm not going to paint, screw, or glue anything Please don't dispute this and just tell me to play one of those games. That will be unhelpful. Please also don't tell me to just play Heroscape. I'm aware of its existence, and the purpose of this thread would be alerting me to the existence of any games with a similar large, customizable board.

I've googled to try and find and all I can seem to find are other miniature games. Nobody seems to be mentioning the board construction, which is really the main thing I'm interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
superfierostatus wrote:
I love the idea of meticulously building a map all week and then having friends come over and game on it. I'm looking for board games that allow for this sort of thing.

Well, I suppose that Magic Realm, a boardgame RPG, would apply here. The map is made up of 20 hexagonal tiles that can be laid out in a countless variety of ways. And – if you *really* want a big, epic map – you can combine two game sets and play on a 40-tile map. The image below shows a small section of a double-game, 40-tile map (open it in a separate window for a closer look):

Map tiles represent valleys, woods, mountains, and cave complexes, and contain from three to six clearings connected by roads, hidden paths, and secret passages that the players can move along as they explore the map.

Each map tile is also double sided, with the roads and art on the reverse side sometimes dramatically different from the normal side. Spellcasters can use magic to cause a tile to flip over, and there are optional rules will cause certain tiles to automatically flip over at certain times, creating a truly dynamic, ever-changing map!

Magic Realm is a complex and immersive game with near infinite replayability... but it can be difficult to learn on your own. You can look through the tutorial below to see if the game sounds interesting to you:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79698/magic-realm-tuto...

Unfortunately, Magic Realm is long out-of-print. Used copies are readily available, but are not especially cheap (you can pay anywhere from $70 to $150 for one set). There are rumors of a possible reprint circulating, but no one knows if a reprint will actually ever happen. There is also a Java-based version that can be played on a computer, and print-and-play versions for those who don't mind building their own copy from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

You could also just search the BGG database for modular boards. (I'd recommend sorting by rank)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansion of Madness

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Space Hulk

Level 7: Omega Protocol

A Touch of Evil + it's 2 expansions (the coast, something wicked) only customizable when you add an expansion

Zombicide

Arkham Horror

Descent

Castle Ravenloft

The Legend of Drizzt

Talisman Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)(especially if expansions are added)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.