Subject: W&G 1 to 10...What are your favs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there have been geeklists like this before but I thought I'd start up a converstaion in W&G to see your opinions! So my favorite games at the moment for # of players from 1 to 10 are...

d10-1 Shephy a cute littl solo game about sheep taking over the world. It's quick to set up and play and challenging. Runner up Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Casesthe downside with this one is that occasionally you can miss a clue that will trip up the mystery
d10-2 Elements for a quick filler. Runner up Targi and Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends for a bit more meaty games. Also any number of abstracts such as the GIPF Project games also work well for me here.
d10-3 Web of Power aka China aka Han. This is a card driven area influence game so the card luck is sufficiently nullified in a 3 player game. It's too random for me with more more players. Runner up The Bottle Imp and Bargain Hunter both good card games in the trick taking family.
d10-4 There are a number of good 4 player games for me. Terra Mystica is probably my current favorite. Medina is certainly best played with exactly 4. This is a great game that will be republished soon reportedly. Code 777 my all time favorite deduction game also plays best with exactly 4.
d10-5Quite a number of games good with 5 for me. The Princes of Florence is probably still the tops for me. El Grande and Lancaster both play really well with 5.
d10-6 6 is sort of the dividing line where games become more party games or race games. I don't really care for those long drawn out games like traditional werewolf so I'm going for games with a board.Ave Caesar, Show Manager are two of my favs.
d10-7Here is where it gets harder to find fun games for me. Speculation originally published for 6 but the republished game has an expansion for up to 8. It actually plays well even with an extra player or two. It's a fun little stock game.
d10-8 Pow Wow more of a party deduction game that takes 8 quite easily. The other one saved for those rare occasions with 8 is Tanz der Hornochsen!. I also like Kaleidos with 8 as 2 players each can easily share one easel in this word game.
d10-9 Breaking Away to be honest I probably like this a bit better with less players but again it works fine with nine. One of the best bike race games out there with an uncommon movement mechanism.
d10-1d10-0 TurfMaster or One Night Ultimate Werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I like Friday, but I REALLY like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island solo. The latter just takes wayyyy too long to set up most of the time.
d10-2 Mice and Mystics - I like this one best with two partially because controlling two mice each is more fun/less downtime, an dbecause I really like the person I play this game with. kiss
d10-3 Dungeon Petz
d10-4 Pandemic
d10-5 King of Tokyo, or Havok & Hijinks
d10-6 - d10-1d10-0 I don't often play with this many people at once. Mafia and Telestrations are the only ones I can really think of that I enjoy. (I'll play Apples to Apples or CaH, but don't enjoy it.) Machine of Death: The Game of Creative Assassination is another really fun one, but it really depends on the group - if 1 or 2 out of the 6+ players aren't into the storytelling, they have the WORST time, and either keep to themselves and stew about it, or make everyone else have less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game My newest addiction. About 75% of my plays have been solitaire, but it's also great with two.

d10-2 Thunderstone Advance My other major new game this year. We play several times a week, and I love it! I didn't love the co-op option, though, so suspect I wouldn't love it solitaire. More players might make it drag a bit. I think two is probably the sweet spot.

d10-3 Blue Moon City? Great with 2-4 players, but this may be the sweet spot.

d10-4 So many options! My 5- and 6-player choices are also great with 4, so I'll pick a game that only goes up to 4. Torn between Goa and Antiquity. Also really enjoy Silverton 4-player (or 1- or 2-player).

d10-5 Agricola. I usually play this 1, 2 or 4-player - so 5-player is a treat (new and different options for actions!) I also love my two 6-player suggestions with 5.

d10-6 Probably Power Grid. Railways of the World comes close though.

d10-7 RoboRally. Not that I often have more than 6 players, but this game gets better the more you have.

d10-8 RoboRally again.

d10-9+ I don't really play games with more than 8. Probably some incarnation of Werewolf? Unless I'm allowed to count the RoboRally variant played at FallCon every year (goes up to 12 players, if I recall correctly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
1 At the Gates of Loyang
would be my top pick for one player. The reason being, I like this game solo better than playing it with others.
2 Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or Le Havre.
Robinson is great with one but I like sharing the experience even better. Le Havre is one of my favorite games but the playtime can get too long with more players.
3 Antiquity.
Nuff said, wonderful game at any count.
4 Brass: Lancashire or Glass Road.
Brass is another favorite and Glass Road shines with four.
5 El Grande.
This game is best with five, tolerable with four, unplayable with three.
6 Coup.
6 1 Beyond Balderdash.
5 3 Shadow Hunters.
4 5 The Resistance.
5 5 Time's Up! Title Recall!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Mage Knight Board Game, only downside is of course the set-up time, but it's also the only game I wánt to play solo. I love it!

2 Difficult, because I collect a lot of games just for two players. I guess I like Dungeon Lords the most though!

3 That would still be Mag·Blast (Third Edition)

4 Goblins, Inc. for sure!

5 Betrayal at House on the Hill is lovely with five

6 Libertalia

16 7 Wonders

53 Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) kiss

45 Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, maybe not really meant for 9, but with some enthusiastic story tellers, it's always fun

64 An Evening With Bram Stoker's Dracula, well, if you have the right house for it, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 My solo-gaming experience is not very big yet, but I enjoyed playing Ghost Stories, even though I lost miserably.
d10-2 Targi, but we own many games that we enjoy playing just the two of us.
d10-3 Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries or Troyes
d10-4 Here the choice is very wide as it's the sweet spot for many games. Right now I'd go with Nations and Terra Mystica.
d10-5 Glory to Rome or Small World Underground
d10-6 7 Wonders or Fauna, also Rex: Final Days of an Empire
d10-7 Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game (with expansions)
d10-8 Citadels

I've never played with more than 8 players.

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh awesome lists I think for me it would be (with the dice number being the additional players because well because )
d10-0 Mosaix - I really enjoy this light game, tetris, pattern making, dice and whiteboards - who needs more
d10-1 Race for the Galaxy - particularly with 2 as you play 2 cards per turn making more interesting combos possible
d10-2 Catan: Seafarers - I know many have over played Catan, but I particularly love scenarios like the fog islands where you discover the board as you go, plus seafarers gives you a use for sheep!
d10-3 Seasons - Huge dice! Plus awesome game, with huge dice. I love how you get to choose the order your cards come in after the draft, adds tactics.
d10-4 Sentinels of the Multiverse - I love the way each character's deck lends itself to a different play style and how they work together.
d10-5 Strozzi - Elements of push-your-luck and set collection make this an enjoyable game.
d10-6 7 Wonders - scales well with player numbers, and great drafting mechanics.
d10-7 Shadow Hunters - great fun hidden role game, can be slow if you forget the giving people a green card to start with when you have more than 6 rule, but fun and interesting.
d10-8 The Castle of the Devil - another interesting hidden roles game, with yet another twist of object collection.
d10-9 Two Rooms and a Boom - noticing a theme with the larger player counts... But this one has rooms... And a timer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Schultz
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my list, in no specific order:

7 Wonders

Ghost Stories: White Moon and with the two free scenarios posted in the files here

Tokaido

Hanabi

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

Pandemic

Firefly: The Game

A sentimental fav: In Pursuit

Childhood fav: Jet World

Ticket to Ride: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecily Parsley
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1- I honestly do not like solo games. I'm with Tom Vasel on this one - if I'm playing a game by myself, it's going to be a computer or xbox game. So...The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Star Trek Online

2- It's hard to pick just one since almost all of our gaming is 2p - but some of the best: Lewis & Clark, Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

3- Suburbia, 7 Wonders

4- Cinque Terre, Taboo if you want a party game

5-6- Zombicide shines with its max players.

7-8 I rarely play games with this many people. But some of my favorites for this count are Wits & Wagers, Cards Against Humanity/Apples to Apples depending on the crowd, Beyond Balderdash, or really any party game

9+ pretty much the only game I would play with 9+ is Telephone Pictionary, or if you want it in a box, Telestrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mage Knight Board Game
2. Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
3. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
4. Manila
5. Cosmic Encounter
6. Dixit
7. Cockroach Poker
8. The Resistance: Avalon
9. Mascarade
10.The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow

Fun thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I'm never coming up with a 10 player game, but...

d10-1 Eldritch Horror - enjoy this solo, but it's a total pain to set up

d10-2 Twilight Struggle - theme is awesome, no two plays are the same

d10-3 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - optimal number for this one, although I also like it with 2p; too long with 4p

d10-4 Puerto Rico - gotta go with the classic, although Terra Mystica, Automobile, Brass, Navegador, there are so many games that are great with 4p

d10-5 Belfort - big fan of this one with 5p, also Power Grid

d10-6 Imperial

d10-7 now I'm running out of things, Kings of Air and Steam plays okay with that number because you pick actions simultaneously

And I can't come up with much more other than light party games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game I'm really awefull at this, I also roll exactly what I shouldn't..

d10-2 Province Right now because it's new, will it last?

d10-3 Mice and Mystics Hope to start a campaign, would be less ideal with more players (can't all always join the scenario)

d10-4 Runewars Favorite of my SO, for a lighter game Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

d10-5 Descent: Journeys in the Dark (1st ed is awesome, but 2nd ed also)

d10-6 Yggdrasil or with non-gamers:Dixit

d10-7 7 Wonders

d10-8 RoboRally

d10-9Pickomino Not supposed to go up to 9, but just got more cut-throat with 9

d10-1d10-0 The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, though it's been a very long time that I've played games with that many people at the same time

First things that sprang to my mind. Maybe I'll think of more favorites .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an interesting idea.

1. Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy the solo game is fun and takes a lot of thought to come out ahead
2. Shanghaien love this game and the backwards scoring mechanism
3. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game I enjoy with 2-5 players, but I think 3 is the sweet spot.
4. Takenoko the sweet spot of board games, I could put 15 games here easily. But this is fun and has great components.
5. Lords of Waterdeep fun worker placement
6. Yggdrasil: Asgard hard co-operative with a great theme
7. Say Anything fun party game that is like a cross of Apples to Apples and Wits & Wagers
8. Shadow Hunters hidden role game with partners. Best with 5-8 players.
9. GiftTRAP cute party game about giving and getting gifts.
10. The Resistance: Avalon fun secret role game with lots of table talk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.