Peter Morrison
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
A VIKTORY II World Championship tournament is about to kickoff. It will be played using the online interface at gamesbyemail.com

If you're interested in participating in it or in any future tournaments, please send me a message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know yet: how many players, players per game (2 on 2, or massive 8 player, or somewhere in between), single elimination or some kind of seeding, time limit to the contest, time limit to get a players next move in, what happens if a player abandons one of the contest games, etc. In other words, what can I expect if I decide to participate, since knowing what to expect may help me decide IF I can participate? What are the Rules to the contest? Is there a prize, or just fame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Morrison
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
60+ players so far on the roster
probably lots of 1v1 games
multiple games in a series of phases (players with worst records getting weeded out, NOT single elimination)
not sure yet on time limit
game abandonment will result in judges likely making a determination if the game was already decided or still in contention
final tournament rules still being worked on
just fame...glory lasts forever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VIKTORY wrote:
just fame...glory lasts forever

I assume we won't fight you? Because in the half dozen games against you that I've had, I never beat you. That, a long time ago, was the glory I wanted. Of course, it would still be interesting to see how far I get in THIS contest too.

1v1 tends to be decided on 1 city IIRC. (OTOH, larger numbers of players often depended on diplomacy. I liked 5 as a sweet spot.) Will you keep the 1v1 at the small gameboard size? If, at some of the latter plays, people could play 1v1 on a 3 or 4 player board size, it might be less 1 battle decisive in the win, though games would take a bit longer. Eh, just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Morrison
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
There are pros and cons to all the different options (2 vs 3+ players per game; larger vs regular map for 1v1 games). Larger number of players per game bring in diplomacy (which can be a good or bad thing depending on which end of the stick you might get).

We (the tournament committee) have debated on using the larger 3 player board size for the 1v1 games. However, we want to have a larger sample size of games and the regulation 2 player map will allow for quicker games that should equal a larger sample size. A larger sample size will give us more confidence that the stronger players are advancing through the different phases/rounds of the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.