Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the final round of a two player game tonight, the other player played her two cards before me and left me with a Courtyard that only had common fields in it. Since it was the final round, I had no need of a common field and paying the money for it was detrimental to my final score.

In this situation, would I have been able to take one of the common fields from the Courtyard and simply discard it rather than paying the two coins to play it? The rulebook, as shown below, seems to suggest that you must pay for it.

rulebook wrote:
Whenever a player plays a “Field” Action card, he must immediately pay 2 Cash for it.

We ended up playing that I had to pay and play the field but I wanted to get clarification if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to pay for it. The only cards you can voluntarily discard are helpers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I have played plenty of games of this, but have never seen that happen. I would say you have to take and pay for a field, by the RAW. I would also say that is pretty devilishly good card play by your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lee
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Don't forget that in a 2 player game, you can turn one card from the deck over too if you hadn't already done that - even if your opponent has already taken their cards.

However, if that card came up field too, or if you had already turned a card over from the deck, then yes I agree, you do have to pay the 2 cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to pay. And possibly take a loan...

But you have the chance to sell goods for paying to avoid the loan...

Best...ode. (for H@ll Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
Yes, you have to pay. And possibly take a loan...

But you have the chance to sell goods for paying to avoid the loan...

Best...ode. (for H@ll Games)

Thank you everyone for the replies and the clarification. It seems that we did play it right. And yes, I did do the extra card draw allowed in the two-player game. It was another common field... What are the odds?

Kudos to my wife for the good play. She won the game 18 - 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.