Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence. I have everything else in the game up to this cycle but am underwhelmed by the heroes. Please feel free to weigh in and explain why I am wrong and why I need to buy this expansion immediately (trust me, I'm an easy sell)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I haven't played the set but Eomer looked great on paper, Grima allows for a new way to play the game (working with the new Doomed keyword). There's the Doomed X and Time X keywords, setting up a cycle that is developing underdeveloped traits (Silvan, Gondor, Scout, Mount, Dunedain, Ranger, etc.), there spoiled cycle heroes (
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Celeborn, Idraen, Galadriel,
) and promised others a Silvan, a Ranger, and a Rohan hero. Finally there's exploring a new, fun, largely unexplored (in the literature) area of Middle Earth.

Sounds like fun to me but I'm WAY behind in scenarios, so I'm forcing myself to play before buying more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eomer is a fantastic hero. He quickly moved to the top off the my tactics heroes. But that was mostly due to a mount attachment called Firefoot that give Eomer +2 attack that comes with the dunland trap, although he was quite good without it, but now with it he is at 5 attack, if his ability triggers he is at 7. The other thing about the mount is that if exhausted and he attacked alone excess damage is carried over to another engaged enemy. With Rohan Warhorse mount, which is in VoI, he can ready after attacking, so he can clear 3 engaged enemies like cutting down wheat.

Grima is an interesting hero and allows for a whole new deck type built around doomed, so far Aragorn lore is his best buddy in the decks I have built. If you are a solo one hand player then you can do some interesting things with him and not be concerned about raising other players threat. His ability to lower the cost of a card by 1 for 1 threat can really jump start a game first round. Let's say you only have one Leadership hero and SoG is In hand first round. With Grima you can play it. The keys of Orthanc is an excellent attachment for his deck, and it can be attached to any hero, with Grima using his ability you will be guaranteed an extra resource with the attachment each round, Minus the cost of a card with Grima's ability, so it nets you 2 resources a turn.

As for the scenarios. I thought they were excellent. The 3rd one Into Fangorn is the easiest for a certain type of deck and was a bit of a let down, but the first 2 are very good, with The second To Catch an Orc being the most challenging.

I really like the time mechanic that they have introduced. It adds that sense of urgency to the quest that was not present before, so it amps up the tension of each scenario, while providing the players with more meaningful decisions to make.

Beyond VoI, the first 2 scenarios are excellent and i feel that they are some of the better designed scenarios that we have gotten. Lots of fun, challenging but doable. This cycle is shaping up to be one of the best yet.

Anyway, I don't want to steer you wrong, but for me it's been a win. Although, I'll probably buy everything this game produces regardless, but I am certainly happy with the VoI set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
I really like the time mechanic that they have introduced. It adds that sense of urgency to the quest that was not present before, so it amps up the tension of each scenario, while providing the players with more meaningful decisions to make.

Beyond VoI, the first 2 scenarios are excellent and i feel that they are some of the better designed scenarios that we have gotten. Lots of fun, challenging but doable. This cycle is shaping up to be one of the best yet.

I totally agree. I was skeptical at first, but now I feel the Time mechanic has been the best improvement to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.