Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry if this was asked before, and perhaps I'm playing two much magic the gathering. But can you do house abilities to react to schemes? I ask since house abilities can be done at any time during a intrigue phase.

For instance, a person plays the exhaust another houses guards and pay gold for each one you exhaust, can I as glaber then discard them to avoid them being exhausted and give myself influence? Or do I have to guard it first, then I can use my house ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that once an intrigue card is played, you can only play a reaction or use a guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I always understood it the way, that you can only use your house abilities in your own influence phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

House special abilities, unless otherwise noted (expansion house abilities I believe), are used in YOUR Intrigue phase.

The only thing that can react to a Scheme is a Guard or Reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Salsbury
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I disagree. The way i believe it is written on the house info sheet says it can be used multiple times in any intrigue phase. Plus I think there is one that can be used to increase and decrease the influence cost on a scheme card. This would suggest that they can be used on other players turns to increase or decrease their cost. Therefore, it should be reasonable that all players can use their abilities at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my rule book handy, but IIRC the only house ability that can be used on someone elses turn is Seppius' ability, partially because it can also affect reactions, which can be at ANY time at all.

I could be wrong, but IIRC even Solonius can use his "Spend X gold to reduce a schemes cost by X influence" on his turn. I seem to recall a ruling that Solonius cannot reduce the cost of a scheme that he's assisting, it needs to be his intrigue phase for him to use his house ability.

but again, i currently cannot look into that for terribly long cause i'm at work, and cannot spend the required time looking up that ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook says...

Quote:
Turn Order

After all the players have drawn 3 cards, play begins with the Dominus holding the Host Marker. After that Dominus has finished their Intrigue turn, play proceeds clockwise around the table.

Your Intrigue Turn

During your Intrigue turn, you may cash in cards for god, use Special Abilities, and play Schemes. During your Intrigue turn, you may perform your available actions in any order.

I interpret this as saying that a house Special Ability is an "available action" during your intrigue turn and your intrigue turn only. I believe only Seppius has an ability that explicitly allows (in the S&W rulebook) it to be used out-of-turn and even in other phases.

nimr0d55 wrote:
I disagree. The way i believe it is written on the house info sheet says it can be used multiple times in any intrigue phase. Plus I think there is one that can be used to increase and decrease the influence cost on a scheme card. This would suggest that they can be used on other players turns to increase or decrease their cost. Therefore, it should be reasonable that all players can use their abilities at any time.

The FAQ says Solonius' Bribes & Pandering ability can only be used on his Intrigue turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.