Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I borrowed Valandor's idea to open a thread for comments, encouragement, smack talk and strategy discussion regarding the first ever Cthulhu Wars PBF.

Every comment is particularly apreciated, but this way the PBF thread can stay nice and clean.

This is a link to the PBF thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1207321/cthulhu-wars-pbf-1-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... It seems so detached from all of the action. Makes me feel like I am broadcasting from one of those bad 80's/90's sitcoms like "Full House". You know the ones! Where they pay the audience to interact with the show because it's so horrible?

Unsolicited Plug: Have you already pledged or pre-ordered your copy of Cthulhu Wars? YOU HAVE! Then don't forget to purchase some of the great add-ons! They extend game play in new and exciting ways! You'll be glad you did!

Announcer: We now return you to your regularly scheduled "Peanut Gallery" session!

What is up with this "thegrinder" fellow? He's gotten himself into a nasty three way which could lead to absolute disaster! Shub-Niggurath is ready to "Avatar" around the map causing problems. And her offspring are just waiting to party en mass!

Then we have "Valandor" who is playing "Yellow Sign". He's already established himself as a Heavyweight Contender, and this announcer's crowd pick! He's got the "King in Yellow" and "Hastur" on his side... What more does he need???

I'm telling ya folks... This match here in Cthulhu Wars Stadium is going to be one for the books! That is... If we all survive the "End of the World" long enough to broadcast it!

Unsolicited Plug: Need a quick snack to curb your cravings while watching the "Cthulhu Wars" match? Then try our new Byakhee Bites! 100% breaded Byakhee with no added colors, preservatives, or artificial flavorings! 60 seconds in the microwave and you're set for the game! Pick up a bag today in your grocer's freezer section!

Announcer: We now return you to your regularly scheduled "Peanut Gallery" session!

I'm still wondering what "thegrinder" is waiting on... Maybe an open invitation to actually play the game? I guess we'll have to keep the fans apprised as the game progresses...

Announcer: We now return your local news and weather...

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm still wondering what "thegrinder" is waiting on... Maybe an open invitation to actually play the game? I guess we'll have to keep the fans apprised as the game progresses...

Just trying to be cautious and establishing a good power base before slamming my opponents to the ground!

I was very tempted to steal a gate away from Crawling Chaos (North America and New Zeland were very juicy), but I didn't want to leave my Goo alone with only a cultist defending... Especially since Crawling Chaos still has power to spare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Brand
Italy
flag msg tools
I don't know what game I'm playing And I'm about to do something which could very quickly end very badly..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmhmmm... As you are snacking on the advertised "Byakhee Bites"!

You are establishing a nice foothold in the area. "Crawling Chaos" and "Yellow Sign" seem to be your biggest threats at the moment. Both are well within striking range and they are both equipped to do so. So keep a close watch on them.

You also made it a point to pick up "Blood Sacrifice" as your reward for being in 4 areas. I can't express how important this spell book is to the Black Goat faction. An extra "Elder Sign" token each "Doom Phase" really adds up!

Once the next round opens up we should get a better visual on your battle tactics. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guzmino wrote:
I don't know what game I'm playing And I'm about to do something which could very quickly end very badly..

I hope you don't roll 2 kills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
Guzmino wrote:

That could end quite badly... Let's see how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Crawling Chaos will regret making me go last devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And meanwhile, Great Cthulhu was doing something completly different but very far away from being efficient... If things continue like that, game will be over before Green Octopus shows up !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
Guzmino wrote:

I shouldn't have said that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want in on the next Pbf, if there are any slots open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We may be able to organize several at once, I'll volunteer to master one game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Let me know when! I'm excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play in one too. Dibs shubby. I'd be willing to mod one as well, though it'd be my first time doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dibs Yellow Sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play whatever is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nexus rexus
msg tools
mb
count me in aswell xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is still room left, I volunteer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kotsonis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Proposal: spin off a thread in either General or PBF (ideally a sticky, if BGG supports that) for people to set up PBF games.

Anyway, it seems to me that Black Goat should win this; CC is handicapped by missing its 10 power worth of spellbooks, which makes it very difficult to get to the 6 spellbook mark to be able to win while also growing in Doom fast enough to beat the Goat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree, Black Goat will very likely win, let's see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
BotlGnomz wrote:
Proposal: spin off a thread in either General or PBF (ideally a sticky, if BGG supports that) for people to set up PBF games.

Anyway, it seems to me that Black Goat should win this; CC is handicapped by missing its 10 power worth of spellbooks, which makes it very difficult to get to the 6 spellbook mark to be able to win while also growing in Doom fast enough to beat the Goat.

I'm not so sure about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New mission kill as many GOOs as possible.

Things I should have done differently.

I should have tried to kill Nyarlathotep, even if had just pained him it would have decentivised Crawling Chaos to steal cultists.
Maybe I should have summoned Hastur instead of ritualing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I think Hastur would have made your life easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a good LEARNING game. I have seen a number of moves that I winced at on all sides.

Overall I think we are seeing the need to protect your GOO, as we learn the difference between "low" chance and "no" chance of a kill.

Thanks for doing this in public!

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:
Its been a good LEARNING game. I have seen a number of moves that I winced at on all sides.

Overall I think we are seeing the need to protect your GOO, as we learn the difference between "low" chance and "no" chance of a kill.

Thanks for doing this in public!

Poliorcetes

This depends on the faction and your Great Old One. Great Cthulhu, for example, takes advantage of each death he undergoes. The initial summoning cost is 10 power with each subsequent summoning costing you 4. Plus... He obtains an Elder Sign each time this occurs. This allows players to use him as a battering ram against enemy factions and their Great Old Ones.

One of the biggest challenges is knowing the other players and the factions they command. Each faction plays differently so you really need to know their abilities and spell books. Crawling Chaos and Yellow Sign have spell books designed to protect your Great Old One. These are "Seek and Destroy" and the "Shriek of the Byakhee" spell books. They allow you to pull in additional units to protect your most valuable asset. Black Goat does this with the sheer volume of units and the ability to re-summon them all at once at reduced costs.

Regardless of which faction you play... Always keep your eyes open to exploit opportunities and use every ounce of your spell book strength to win the game. Dice rolls are the truly random factor that can make or break you though. So be sure to stack the cards in your favor as often as possible to obtain the desired outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.