Hide
18 Posts

Catan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Going first vs last rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nishant Kumar
msg tools
Whenever I play Settlers of Catan, I always go last, because then I can place 2 settlements and 2 roads at once, which is safer.

But some people insist on going first, because they will be able to get the best spot on the board for their initial settlement.
While this is important, it's also easy for them to be cut off by other players, ruining their chances of winning.

What do you guys think? Is it best to go first, last or in the middle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who goes first also goes last, so they get one great placement, and if that gets totally cut off, they can put their second settlement where there is room to expand (but it's rare for their second settlement to have high production rates).

The player who goes last gets to pick two locations with complementary resources, e.g. you can pick wheat port and a big wheat producer, or make sure you have potential to get all 5 resources. But if they get totally surrounded, they're out of luck.

Benefits to both. I've seen people win from either, and I don't much mind where I end up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you're playing 3 or 4 players. If I'm placing first in a 3-player game, my 2nd settlement is theoretically in the 6th best spot, which usually isn't that bad.

You can get cut off pretty easily, whether you place first or last. Placing last still means that 2 or 3 other settlements are being placed after you're done. Who's to say the other players won't box you in?

In short, I think placing first and last both have their pros and cons, and I don't really mind what spot in the order I end up with. A lot of the turn order advantage depends on the board setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always determine it randomly every game so you best be able to adapt to which ever order the dice spit out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer going last for the same reason.
But we always randomly choose starting player, so it does not happen often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Going last gives you more control over your strategy.

In my (un)professional opinion, going third is best in a three-player game and going third is best in a four-player game.

That being said, I've never not determined turn order randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 4p game, it's usually crowded enough that there will be 2 to 3 good placements for your first building. The last player is relying on 2 buildings that compliment each other.

In a 3p game, going last or first is just better simply because the board is less crowded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played last night with new player. One of them put down last, ie, two settlement in a row. He chose in the middle of the forest next to a wood port. One would think it was an advantage, but it happen that while leading he didn't win.

One of the great things of Catan is that everybody has a chance, even with bad dice and bad positioning on the board.

My take: select randomly who gets to put down first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From page 11 of http://www.catan.com/files/downloads/soc_rv_rules_091907.pdf

SET-UP PHASE...
Round One
Each player rolls both dice. The player who rolls highest is
the starting player and begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcv jcv
msg tools
For years I've kept stats on the Catan games I played and who won and what the starting order was. Never really added it all up though. But I've long suspected that the player that starts last has a better shot in winning.

On E&P though you're more likely to get screwed if you start last. Especially if the players before you build an additional ship and explores two tiles each: you can very easily be in a spot where you have to pony up a sheep to discover anything in your first turn. And discovering new tiles bring resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcvjcvjcvjcv wrote:
For years I've kept stats on the Catan games I played and who won and what the starting order was. Never really added it all up though. But I've long suspected that the player that starts last has a better shot in winning.

Could you please add it all up?
Or at least share the raw data if you can and we'll add it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Allen
msg tools
My wife and I have played Catan with 3 different couples (coincidently) about 60x's each. Because the outcomes between positions 2-4 are a bit different from group to group, it's less clear as to which position is the next best to start from. The first position, however, clearly has the advantage.

1(%) 2(%) 3(%) 4(%) Total

1) 25(41%) 16(26%) 13(21%) 7(11%) 61

2) 26(38%) 25(36%) 10(14%) 8(12%) 69

3) 23(40%) 12(21%) 8(14%) 15(26%) 58

Totals 74(40%) 53(28%) 31(16%) 30(16%) 188

Surely there are other people out there who have kept their stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryAllen wrote:
My wife and I have played Catan with 3 different couples (coincidently) about 60x's each. Because the outcomes between positions 2-4 are a bit different from group to group, it's less clear as to which position is the next best to start from. The first position, however, clearly has the advantage.

1(%) 2(%) 3(%) 4(%) Total

1) 25(41%) 16(26%) 13(21%) 7(11%) 61

2) 26(38%) 25(36%) 10(14%) 8(12%) 69

3) 23(40%) 12(21%) 8(14%) 15(26%) 58

Totals 74(40%) 53(28%) 31(16%) 30(16%) 188

Surely there are other people out there who have kept their stats.

Wow, I admire your record keeping! My record keeping is a bit more anecdotal - whatever spot my wife is in, that's the spot that has a 40% chance of winning.

I'm surprised the win rate is that high for the first player in a 4-player game. Even though you get the best spot, you also end up with the 8th best spot, which is probably not too good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Allen
msg tools
It doesn't make much sense to me either. To put a finer point on it, while my winning percentage out of those 188 games is an abysmal 16%, forty percent of my wins are when I go first.

It's made me wonder if it's just us, or if somehow it's an actual flaw in the game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
We always determine it randomly every game so you best be able to adapt to which ever order the dice spit out.

We determine "first choice" randomly. The player who is randomly selected (dice roll) gets to choose being first, last, or in between (which is virtually never selected). Because we usually play with 5 or 6 players, the decision is often based upon the layout of the tiles and production numbers (also done randomly, but with no 6's, 8's, or duplicate numbers adjacent). Most times, the chooser goes first, but occasionally he/she decides to go last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Allen
msg tools
I'd be curious if you kept stats, which position wins the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more balanced the board is the later you want to start. Most boards in Catan are quite unbalanced so I'm not surprised by this these interesting statistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.