Subject: another soccer pitch invasion, this time in Dallas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://deadspin.com/real-madrid-roma-in-dallas-fell-victim-t...

At what point does this stop being "just dumb kids having fun" and start getting dangerous?

Deadspin wrote:
Real Madrid-Roma In Dallas Fell Victim To A Massive Pitch Invasion

Real Madrid and Roma played a preseason friendly at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas last night, and at one point, there were more invaders on the pitch than there were players.

With about five minutes remaining, a trickle of fans turned into a flood—about 20 people ran onto the pitch in attempts to get near the benches, make political statements, take photos with players, or even just to not feel left out. The players seemed patient, if wary—though they should not have been encouraging this sort of thing by signing autographs and posing for selfies, as some did.

In all, a pretty disgraceful showing from the fans and from security, but it made for some crazy videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few words of the broadcast, I recognized that this was the Italian broadcast team.
Even they weren't too upset at this; it amused them in some places. 'Now a girl. And another girl. A small boy has arrived.'

That was very peculiar, I must say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
All the cool kids are doing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't the BBC? whistle

The BBC broadcasters are normally bursting with excitement.
Nope, I couldn't keep a straight face while typing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
An MLS stadium has finally hit the big leagues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
An MLS stadium has finally hit the big leagues!

How is that an MLS stadium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
I am ashamed to be an American.

Our soccer hooligans are bigger pussies than a run of the mill French soccer hooligan.
In their defense: They appear to be half the age of the average European soccer hooligan. Which might make them more brave.
I expect young people to do dumb things. Unlike adult Euro-hooligans who should probably know better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was present for that fiasco at the Cotton Bowl (which though not currently an MSL stadium, it's where FC Dallas first played back in '96 when they started in the league as the Dallas Burn).

At first several youths simply took advantage of the lax security protocol for the match. Then, embolden by watching others run around midfield and even return to their seats without ever being stopped by security, many more joined those on the pitch. The uniformed officers present were obviously understaffed in handling the situation effectively. For the first few minutes youths largely had free reign to run among the players as officers attempted to station themselves around the perimeter to halt further fan encroachment. While youths asked for autographs and hugs or snapped pictures with the players, there seemed to be more concern for protecting Ronaldo from adoring fans that tried making their way towards his bench. That was where the most forceful attempts at stopping fans could be seen.

Even though the hooliganism the youths displayed appeared mostly nonthreatening, the security on hand were clearly overwhelmed. If it had turned ugly, I don't think they would have been prepared for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.