Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I asked Rod to help me learn to play my new (used) copy of Chrononauts, and he graciously agreed. It took us a couple of minutes to sort the cards out, and set up the timeline. We each drew an Identity and a Mission, and soon we were creating paradoxes, and patching them up. In about fifteen minutes, Rod had paved the way for his character to return to her home time line. He leaned forward, and asked, "Again?"
"Of course." We played another game, and another, and another. We must have killed Hitler twelve times in eight games, and called it an evening. We had won by patching paradoxes, by achieving our mission, and collecting artifacts; if we couldn't win one way, we shifted to the alternate victory conditions. The ever-shifting nature of the board, combined with the draw-a-card, play-a-card fast pace, was addictive, as well as the goofy science-fiction premises (Lincoln survives assasination in 1865 only to be impeached in 1868).
The next day, we added Sean, Douglas, and Marina to the fun. "This looks complicated," one of them commented. By the middle of the first game, they understood everything that was happening. We played a few more games before I had to call it quits.
Our only complaint with the game is the annoying Time Vortex card, which requires redistributing all the players' hands fairly evenly. It's obviously a now-I-can-come-from-behind card, but it just didn't feel right to anyone. There's only one in the deck, so I may very well propose a house rule where we leave it out.
Chrononauts is a winner. I am going to play Chrononauts with every man, woman, and teenager I meet. I wouldn't be surprised if Rod or Sean pick up a copy as well, maybe even both of them. The play is so clean and elegant, the very few questions that arose were answered on the cards themselves in words AND easy-to-distinguish icons, and you get to kill Hitler, stop the Hindenburg from exploding, and save JFK along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.