Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting this game and part of my interest is the idea of players having conflicting ulterior motives to aim towards that may be against the best interests of the group.

Can anyone confirm what the ulterior motives are so that I can understand if they will deliver what I am hoping for from this game...?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
a small set of cards with your own personal 'mission' on, eg:

finish the game with 4 weapons
finish the game with full health

you keep these secret.

if you 'win' the game as a team they don't matter, you all win.

BUT if you 'loose' the game as a team, you personally can still win if you have completed your mission.

it's very simple but it stops people from being too altruistic, also could add a bit of mistrust if you think someone is hoarding all the weapons rather than sharing them with the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. It sounds VERY similar to Dead of Winter. Would I be right in thinking this game appears to have the same sort of feeling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Ulterior Motives are fun.
Dead of Winter actually has more randomness. In WD, you know when things are going bad. It's usually your own fault. In DoW, things can go from bad to worse on a couple of rolls and sink the whole game.

At least in WD, someone can be held responsible for all the bad stuff that happens to the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
Interesting. It sounds VERY similar to Dead of Winter. Would I be right in thinking this game appears to have the same sort of feeling?

I was looking into this game myself and was thinking the same thing - like this is "Dead of Winter lite."
It seems like there were some concepts borrowed from this game when Dead of Winter was being created - almost like they started with this and added a lot more detail.

Edit: Just ordered this on Amazon - looking forward to playing it. The gf and I are both big WD fans and watch it every week. She's not into really heavy board games and I think she would consider DoW too heavy. This one I think will work well for a more casual (read as: less nerdy - I mean this in the best way possible, BTW) gamer like herself.
Besides, the price on DoW is a bit much right now.
I tricked out my purchase of the game with some zombie minis too!

BRING ON THE DEAD!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.