Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking Action tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have 6 in Locomotive and the obly tile left to take is Locomotive, what do I do? Becouse the rules clearly say that its forbidden to take this tile if you have 6 in locomotive.

And one more question if taking the locomotive action tile I must upgrade my locomotice right? So you can force people to take it and pay the cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It shouldn't be possible for the only tile left to be Locomotive. You have six roles for players to choose from even if everyone already has Locomotive maxed.

Urbanization
Production
Move First
Build First
Engineer
Auction thingy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I saw now that there are 7 action and only 6 player maximum ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Yeah I saw now that there are 7 action and only 6 player maximum ^^
Until you play an 8 player board like http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/37302/age-steam-.... And then I've no idea what you'd do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Any expansion maps should have special rules for the ocassion but even then, players who are last in the turn order would simply get nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, Doubt I'll ever get near that count so haven't even read those rules yet.

Given Steam is oooold now and i'm so new to it I don't want to start new question threads. So as this is about action tiles... Do you use the physical action tiles in standard steam? As chits they seem pointless compared to placing a disc on the equivalent icon on the board directly - the money and numbers are misleading as they're not used, and turning them over (which I think you're supposed to do) loses information. And given it's already there on the main board anyway, why bother with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Sure, Doubt I'll ever get near that count so haven't even read those rules yet.

Given Steam is oooold now and i'm so new to it I don't want to start new question threads. So as this is about action tiles... Do you use the physical action tiles in standard steam? As chits they seem pointless compared to placing a disc on the equivalent icon on the board directly - the money and numbers are misleading as they're not used, and turning them over (which I think you're supposed to do) loses information. And given it's already there on the main board anyway, why bother with them?

I personally use the board spaces in this instance (unless I am using an expansion map without them), for exactly the same reasons you have given.
However, Standard is IMO not the best way to play Steam (and I have Age of Steam for when I want to play that way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:

I personally use the board spaces in this instance (unless I am using an expansion map without them), for exactly the same reasons you have given.
However, Standard is IMO not the best way to play Steam (and I have Age of Steam for when I want to play that way).

In your opinion, what IS the best way to play Steam? Base game? Or some variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
In your opinion, what IS the best way to play Steam? Base game? Or some variant?

Base Steam is the best way; it removes the exploitable imbalances of the turn order auction and income reduction which were present in AoS, cleans up the whole income/expenses aspect and adds a layer to the strategy by forcing players to consider future turn order when selecting their action.

I was rarely defeated by others in the group when playing AoS; I hardly ever win when playing Base Steam because everything exploitable has been removed. This doesn't mean I dislike AoS, which is still a great game as the imbalances are slight; but it was generally too easy (for me) to take it to a level where one's lead was unassailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That would seem to say more about the weakness of your opposition than of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
That would seem to say more about the weakness of your opposition than of the game.

Possibly; or possibly my overwhelming superiority!

Either way, it is hardly as fulfilling a game experience if there is a distinct imbalance. If you would prefer to believe it is the players and not the design which is imbalanced, then so be it; however, Steam still results in the experience becoming more challenging for me because those imbalances are removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm tempted to translate that to Steam providing a smaller/slower reward for player skill. In this it isn't that the imbalances are removed, but that the reward for understanding an using/exploiting the (intricacies of the?) system are smaller and less telling. ie a more level playing field among players of unequal ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm tempted to translate that to Steam providing a smaller/slower reward for player skill. In this it isn't that the imbalances are removed, but that the reward for understanding an using/exploiting the (intricacies of the?) system are smaller and less telling. ie a more level playing field among players of unequal ability.

Only tempted?

I would tend to agree this is mostly on the mark; apart from the fact the exploitable imbalances are removed. Seriously, they're just not there. Players are almost always of unequal ability, I think, so that probably goes without saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I've always felt that the phenomina of providing a "more level playing field to players of unequal ability" to be one of the hallmarks of a "Euro" design. Players thereby tend to stay engaged to the end of the contest because, by various means, it can remain an open question as to who will win. Or, another way of looking at it is that, "the game is the thing" instead of "winning is the thing." Still, the more expert player will win more often - just not invariably...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.