Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

OddVille» Forums » Rules

Subject: When can you place a Worker on the Resource slot on the Main Square? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make sure that we are playing correctly?. As there are 4 slots in the Main Square, a player can put a Worker on any of the unoccupied resource slot on the Main square after he has placed a building adjacent to the Main Square cards. Is there right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
brighknight_216 wrote:
Just want to make sure that we are playing correctly?. As there are 4 slots in the Main Square, a player can put a Worker on any of the unoccupied resource slot on the Main square after he has placed a building adjacent to the Main Square cards. Is there right?

No, it is not. You may only place a worker on the Main Square by using the Traveller character card. The Traveller is a double-edged sword: you can either keep the card in front of you and score 7 points at the end of the game—but run the risk of losing it before that. Or you use it a single time by moving a worker from the resource board to the corresponding empty slot on the Square and score a certain, immutable 4 points for that at the end of the game. The Traveller card itself then becomes worthless to you.

You don't get the Square bonus when using the Traveller, by the way. But the Square bonus is handed out as normal when placing buildings adjacent to it which are connected by a road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
brighknight_216 wrote:

No, it is not. You may only place a worker on the Main Square by using the Traveller character card. The Traveller is a double-edged sword: you can either keep the card in front of you and score 7 points at the end of the game—but run the risk of losing it before that. Or you use it a single time by moving a worker from the resource board to the corresponding empty slot on the Square and score a certain, immutable 4 points for that at the end of the game. The Traveller card itself then becomes worthless to you.

You don't get the Square bonus when using the Traveller, by the way. But the Square bonus is handed out as normal when placing buildings adjacent to it which are connected by a road.

Just want to clarify. Based on what you say, I can only place a Worker on the resource slot on the Main Square by removing one Worker from the resource board and using it. Is that right?

Also, is it possible for me to remove the Worker on the resource slot on the Main Square to build building? I assume you can but I can be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
brighknight_216 wrote:
Just want to clarify. Based on what you say, I can only place a Worker on the resource slot on the Main Square by removing one Worker from the resource board and using it. Is that right?

Add 'while owning the Traveller character card', and the above is correct. If the Traveller isn't present in the game (possible in a 2- and 3-player game where the character can be removed at random), then the Market Square always remains empty from start to finish.

Quote:
Also, is it possible for me to remove the Worker on the resource slot on the Main Square to build building? I assume you can but I can be wrong.

No. Once in the Market Square the worker is there until the game ends. The slots are not resource slots like found on the resource board.

Basically the Market Square represents a gamble. If you don't use the Traveller, then you look at an uncertain 8 points (7 from the Traveller, 1 from the worker on the resource board). If you do use the Traveller, you look at a certain 4 points (0 from the Traveller, 4 from the Main Square slot). It is up to you to decide what weighs more heavily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, Maarten. Play the game wrong the last time. Will play it correctly in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Quote:

No. Once in the Market Square the worker is there until the game ends. The slots are not resource slots like found on the resource board.

Basically the Market Square represents a gamble. If you don't use the Traveller, then you look at an uncertain 8 points (7 from the Traveller, 1 from the worker on the resource board). If you do use the Traveller, you look at a certain 4 points (0 from the Traveller, 4 from the Main Square slot). It is up to you to decide what weighs more heavily.

Thanks for clarifying this. Got this out and finally went through the rules but was not clear on how this worked. I was thinking that as long as you had a worker on the main square then the Traveler was worth nothing but if you used the worker and had nothing on the main square later then the Traveler would then be worth 7 points.

That is what I get for thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We struggled understanding the Main Square Card and the Traveller character.
A close reading of the rules reveals:

Regarding the Main Square card:

"There can be more than 1 owner. Each owner gains 4 points. Note: The only way to place a worker on the Main Square card is to use the "Traveller" (see Characters)." Rules, page 5, Section "Victory Points", Entry "Main Square card". See also Rules, page 5, Section "Examples", for Blue Player, line 2: "4 points for Main Square card C", and for Red Player, line 1: "4 points for Main Square card C."

Regarding the Traveller character:

"At any time during your turn you can place 1 of your workers on an empty resource spot of the Main Square paying the corresponding resource. A player cannot have more than 1 worker on the Main Square. At the end of the game, the player that has this card in front of himself gains 0 points if he has a worker on the Main Square; 7 points if he doesn't." Rules, page 6, Section "Character Cards", Entry "Traveller".

These rules and examples appear to me to produce harmoniously the following play procedure:
1. Player A obtains the Traveller card during regular play upon building a building bearing the Traveller's guild sign (3 brass bells on white field);
2. On one of Player A's subsequent turns while still in possession of the Traveller card, s/he may place a worker on one of the resource icons appearing on the Main Square card near the street intersection, each of which are bordered in gold (see Main Square card; and also see page 5, Section "Examples", illustration of the Main Square card C.)
3. When Player A does so, Player A will pay immediately one resource matching the resource icon upon which s/he placed their worker on the Main Square card and will score 4 points for the Main Square card at the end of the game, based on the Main Square card's point value appearing within the shield symbol in the upper left corner of the card.
4. In the further course of play, the Traveller character may be taken from Player A by another player upon the other player building a building bearing the Traveller character card's guild sign.
5. The other player now possessing the Traveller card may likewise place a worker on an unoccupied resource spot on the Main Square card once.
6. Once a worker is placed on the Main Square card, it cannot be removed.
7. Again, a player may only have 1 worker on the Main Square card during the game.
8. The Main Square card is not part of the Resource Board; a worker may not be removed from it for any reason; a player does not derive a resource from placing a worker on one of the resource icons near the street intersection; a player does not derive a resource as a bonus for developing the Main Square card because the player did not "develop" the Main Square by placing it as described in the Section "Develop OddVille", pages 3,4; but a player would derive a bonus from building a building adjacent to the Main Square card if connected by a street or if in possession of the Lamplighter character card.
9. The holder of the Traveller card at the end of the game scores the value of the Traveller card. The value of the Traveller card is 7 points if the holder of it has not placed a worker on the Main Square card, but is 0 points if the holder has placed a worker on the Main Square card.
10. A worker placed on the Main Square card is a worker placed "in the City", and should count as 1 of the 6 workers for the purpose of determining game end condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.