Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. If the archer attacks the ship the gestation moves up 1 for each hit 4+ on the dice = hit on the ship?

2. Archer rolls 2 dice for its attack and rolls a 4 and 5. That is 2 hit on the ship and gestation marker move 2 spaces? is this correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

If Archers are active in an area, you better raise the shields, attack them quickly or move a crew member in to become the target of they will really hinder your chance at victory.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muddled through my first game Scenario 1 Made quite a few rule errors got my Gluteus Maximus Handed to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Carroll
msg tools
I'd like to ask another clarification on archers. Do they attack shields just like other units other than not taking damage when they fail? Do they not attack shields at all? Do they just need to roll "hits" on the shield? The rules aren't particularly clear. We played it as just rolling as per the melee vs shield rules but without the possibility of taking damage.

Related thought: the video on the Mr. B Games web site appears to be using an earlier version of the rules, so it is actively unhelpful. (Specifically, it appears to have the brute go before the archer to knock the shields down, so we never see the archer shoot at the shields). There are other cases where the rules were different also. It would be great to make a replacement video for the shipping rules.

Really looking forward to a FAQ. We made so many mistakes in our first game, and spent most of the time cross referencing to try to make sense of the rules. Having the quick start explicitly give setup instructions rather than referring to a scenario mean that our first game was played at much higher level of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

They do shoot at the shields first, then crewmen, then the ship. Page 5 talks about this, and all the alien classes (as well as their abilities). The Archer has a bolt icon, signifying ranged attack, and talks about how they attack the shields but do not take damage from misses.

On page 12/13 is the general order of battle which applies to all aliens so an Archer works exactly the same as the others, with 2 exceptions:

1) They never advance (always attacking from a far).
2) They always shoot at something - Shield first, if not shields, a crewman in their zone, if no crewman, the ship.

Hope this helps!

We will be making a FAQ for the game sometime later this month.

Scenarios are for sure helpful to scale the difficulty, and were a great addition via Kickstarter. Agreed a mention in the setup guide might have been helpful, but we opted to talk about them in the rules instead. Very good point that it might be nice to say "play scenario 1" in the setup guide. Thanks for the suggestion!

The video on our website is a touch dated, agreed but we kept it up there as a video reference. We did it in September last year, and absolutely changed the attack order around a bit, and cleaned some things up as playtesting feedback came back. For sure will look into doing a new one, or posting one of the reviewer/previewer videos in its place. I would say always go with the rules in the box vs. a video personally, and sorry for this causing you any confusion.

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Sean,

Just to clarify, are you saying that each rolled 4 by an archer knocks out one shield token, regardless of its value?

Thanks!

SJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Hi Sean,

Just to clarify, are you saying that each rolled 4 by an archer knocks out one shield token, regardless of its value?

Thanks!

SJ

Sean was talking about shots taken at the ship. Archer attacks against shields work the same as any other alien except that Archers don't take damage from misses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Archers always hit on a 4+ (no matter the target).

WRONG: see below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Donn's post.

Archers shooting at a crewman or the ship need 4+

Archers attacking a shield need to roll and get higher than the shield, but do not take damage if they miss (because they are range attacking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
I agree with Donn's post.

Archers shooting at a crewman or the ship need 4+

Archers attacking a shield need to roll and get higher than the shield, but do not take damage if they miss (because they are range attacking).
Sean, this isn't right is it? Archers need a 4+ for Crewmen and 5+ for the Ship (assuming that 4+ means 4, 5 or 6)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOPS! Sorry about that.

For sure needed in the FAQs (Living and Official)for clarification but is in the core rulebook.

Archers hit Shields and Crewmen on 4's 5's and 6's and hit the ship on 5's and 6's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
OOPS! Sorry about that.

For sure needed in the FAQs (Living and Official)for clarification but is in the core rulebook.
Agreed. That's how I knew But I agree it's worth putting in the FAQ because the bit about targeting Crew is in the description of Archers, but the description of targeting the Ship is in the body of the rules under its own section. This way the two bits of information are together

Quote:
Archers hit Shields and Crewmen on 4's 5's and 6's and hit the ship on 5's and 6's.
I know 4+ is a compact form, but I still have to stop and think when I see it "does that mean 4-6, or 5-6?" for some reason I always think 4+ is a 33% chance not a 50% chance. Old dog, new tricks. Is my problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So Archer to hit roll is:
Shield = dependent on tile
Crewman = 4+
Ship = 5+

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:
So Archer to hit roll is:
Shield = dependent on tile
Crewman = 4+
Ship = 5+

Is this correct?
Spot on.

You could say

Shield = (TileValue)+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.