tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: 6 + players (why I think it won't work)
Each single player wuold get very few actions (thus more luck will be involved when drawing cards).
The "Beggar" will become overpowered.
The risk of being eaten would be very small (thus reducing the "tension" associated to taking corruption points).
Probably only a couple (or even none) players would be able to place a second statue (too competition for the limited space of the garden), thus increasing the advantage of going first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Each single player wuold get very few actions (thus more luck will be involved when drawing cards).

The "Beggar" will become overpowered.
The risk of being eaten would be very small (thus reducing the "tension" associated to taking corruption points).

Probably only a couple (or even none) players would be able to place a second statue (too competition for the limited space of the garden), thus increasing the advantage of going first.

What's fewer? the number of builds?
It still takes time to build a set to build.
So far it's 3 markets for 2 or 5 players which makes the market change
little with 2 or a lot with 5. Unless you run out of cards, but that would take 10+ players?
Or you mean auctions? hmmm. Less money means auctions are more heart wrenching.....

But the beggar is self balancing- if you get rich you now want to bid more. Still, 1 buck then or more corruption....Good observation.

Ah! I agree with the santuary- maybe 1 statue per player.
Going first is no advantage IHMO. Or not- what's wrong with competition??
In theory the limit would be 11 or 12 due to mosaics.

Besides, I want to replace my pyramid with something more substantial
anyway.
You get a "B" ! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Of course you're welcome to test your variant and enjoy the game with 6 or more players. I was trying to imagine why the experience could be less-than-stellar for those involved (so maybe you could devise an additional house rule or two to improve it).

Quote:
What's fewer? the number of builds?

I was saying that each single player would simply get less turns per game, because the items to build are always the same number (2 doors, 6 sphinxes, etc.), but if that number is divided between 3 players you obviuosly get (on average) to build twice as much as with 6 players.

I wasn't questioning the number of stacks in the market (3) that would work fine with any number of players (as each player will still - and always - get to choice one of three possibilities: that number doesn't change and doesn't need to).

Quote:
Going first is no advantage IHMO.

Fine. But going first can give ou an extra turn (since when the N-th player ends the game, the first N players effectively got an extra turn).
When you play a lot of turns, one more can be irrilevant. But as I noted above, more players = less turns per player, so the importance of the extra turn is magnified (even if maybe not enough to be a concern).

Quote:
Or not- what's wrong with competition??

Nothing. But where's the competition here? Running fast to sit on the left of the player randomly determined to be the first player of the evening?

Have fun!

P.S. you'll need to redesign the table of the High Priest as well (maybe giving a small prize, like losing a single corruption or being unaffected at all, to second place and scaling the rest consequently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By accident the player teaching the game played..and we had 5 players to
start. The play was unaffected, except for grabbing 2 items for the sanctuary and treating the #6 losing offering player as tied for last.
So it needs 1 game rule change & some components. meeple
so, gee, 6 players is maybe less stellar than 5 but then 5 is less than 3 and..uh...it depends on what you want out of the game.
In theory there is no upper limit to the # of players.
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.