Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the English rulebook only addresses the situation when the block bag is empty - but what if the "buy action" is taken and there are not enough blocks to fill up to 11? Does the remainder of the bag get filled, or does nothing get filled at all (and the wheel, therefore, doesn't get turned)?

Thx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I follow the question.

If the wheel is rotated and blocks are purchased, you would refill Market (wheel) back to 11. If you run out of blocks, then you do not refill.

If the wheel is not rotated, then you do not refill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules are assuming you draw the blocks one at a time.

Quote:
...you must draw blocks out of the bag, without looking, until there is a total of 11 blocks on the wheel.

Perhaps this is a bit tenuous, but to me this implies one-at-time drawing. Otherwise the 'until' clause doesn't make much sense.

This interpretation also makes sense given the answer to the question in the rules "What happens if the wheel is empty and there are no blocks in the bag?" The question is not "What happens if the wheel is empty and there are 10 or fewer blocks in the bag?".

I think the one-at-time drawing is needed to make the rules self-consistent, even though it isn't explicitly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Todd.

Yes... that's exactly what I was wondering. What if... in the act of refilling to 11... you don't reach it, and there are no more blocks in the bag?

I was hoping there was a more exact German explanation/translation on this, but in the meantime I think we will play just like you suggested.

(a) In the act of refilling, load however many you can (to reach a total of 11).

(b) If the bag is empty, you can still take the action but NOT turn the wheel for discounting (since there are no more blocks in the bag).

(c) If the wheel is empty, but there are still stuff in the bag you can take the action but MUST turn the wheel to bring out blocks (and must purchase at least one block at full value).

(d) If the wheel AND the bag are both empty, you cannot take this action.

Items (b) - (d) are explained in the rules, but not item (a).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to one of our games. One player kept on hogging the blocks, and during the by action there was not enough to refill to 11. We did not overthink it and just played as is, as later on he must build and thus the bag gets refilled..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not about "overthinking" it. It's about understanding which is the proper method to play by this mechanic.

I can easily see the designers stating something like:

"If the refill count is not enough to hit 11, then the player choosing the buy action cannot turn the wheel."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
It's not about "overthinking" it. It's about understanding which is the proper method to play by this mechanic.

I can easily see the designers stating something like:

"If the refill count is not enough to hit 11, then the player choosing the buy action cannot turn the wheel."

Why not? Turning the wheel benefits other players as well.

But I agree a definitive answer would be nice, but it's a nice light-medium game so for the meantime we play it as I have said...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night. I loved it! So much gaming fun for "3 simple rules". The construction of buildings was fairly competitive, and so we never came across a time where there wasn't enough blocks in the bag.

But you know how games are... play enough times and weird anomalies start to present themselves! :-)

If that happens, I will just refill whatever we can (because the bag wasn't "empty"). So even if there is only one block inside, we will allow that you can turn the wheel and replenish how ever many blocks are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.