Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: [PSA] Using clicks to activate abilities on cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This shouldn't need to be said, because the rules cover it, but it has come up SO OFTEN recently I've been... inspired?... to post this.

One of the major mechanics in Netrunner is that of Paid Abilities. All Paid Abilites use the format of

[COST] : [EFFECT]

For example, look at these two cards.

Both of them follow the format - the cost is on the left of the colon, the effect on the right. You spend whatever is on the left to get whatever is on the right.

In the case of cards like Magnus Opus, where the cost includes one or more [clicks], this is a particular kind of Paid Ability called an Action. These are no different to the basic actions such as

[click] : Play an Event.

All actions require you to spend one or more clicks, and they all require you to complete that action before you can take another. This means, for example, you cannot use Magnum Opus in the middle of a run, as

[click] : Make a run

is one of the basic Runner actions.

Now, this is the bit which has been coming up a lot lately. Having multiple copies of a card installed does not allow you to trigger both by paying the cost once. This means if you have 2 copies of Magnum Opus and pay one click, you do NOT gain 4 credits. You activate one of the actions by spending a click and resolve it completely, gaining two credits. You may now spend another click to activate another ability as normal, but nothing allows you to 'stack' Actions like this.

Furthermore, the rules state under 'self-referential language'

Core Rules p.21 wrote:
Unless otherwise noted, a card with text that refers to its own card title only refers to itself and does not refer to other copies of cards with that title.

This means that if you have multiple copies of Armitage Codebusting installed

Activating the ability still only allows you to take credits from one of them. You are using the Action granted to you by that card, and that card alone.

Remember: clicks are a form of currency, a finite resource. Spend them how you will, but you only have so many, and Actions cost clicks. You can't put the same coin into two vending machines, and you can't use the same click to pay for more than one Action.

I hope that this will help someone; but for my own piece of mind I hope we don't get any more questions on this topic (or at least not this week )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I can think of is that a lot of new players are jumping into the game lately. They seem to be learning the game with other new players, seemingly more concerned with basic mechanics, deckbuilding, and all the factions, as opposed to the more important things such as the timing structure, paid abilities, etc.

Don't know if this is because they are unable to find other experienced Netrunner players to learn the game from, or are simply intimidated by them.

Let's not forget though how difficult this game was to learn when we first started out. It's very different then anything else. Ever.

In any case, it definitely is a noticeable issue recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardsbydizzle wrote:
The only thing I can think of is that a lot of new players are jumping into the game lately. They seem to be learning the game with other new players, seemingly more concerned with basic mechanics, deckbuilding, and all the factions, as opposed to the more important things such as the timing structure, paid abilities, etc.

Don't know if this is because they are unable to find other experienced Netrunner players to learn the game from, or are simply intimidated by them.

Let's not forget though how difficult this game was to learn when we first started out. It's very different then anything else. Ever.

In any case, it definitely is a noticeable issue recently.

This doesn't really explain it though. We all had to start somewhere, and I'm pretty sure a lot of us (myself included) learned Netrunner with another person who had never played it before. Yet of all the things to get wrong about playing Netrunner, this is something very clearly covered in the rulebook and kind of beyond common sense I think. I've never heard in person or seen on the internet anyone ask this question until suddenly this week.

So... Like what's different now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost like they posted the same question multiple times, just by spending a single click...

e: beaten by Stratagon in the other thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardsbydizzle wrote:
It's very different then anything else. Ever.

Except for a certain dead CCG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakodrako wrote:
So... Like what's different now?

I'm guessing a large influx of new players over the past few months, more so then we've seen over the life of the game. Granted, I'm basing this on my own meta, so I could by way off in regards to the meta as a whole.

A larger number of new players could mean a larger number of new player questions.

I know, I'm probably just reaching.

endgame wrote:
Except for a certain dead CCG...

Touche my friend, touche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Endicott
Australia
Newcastle (Maryland)
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We may all know it, but this is laid out perfect with pics to show my son how to understand it.

EDIT: just last night a noob clicked paintbrush during a run against me, it was his 4th game

nice, keep them coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that the Portland, Oregon meta has had a big influx of new players and some immigrants from other metas mixed in. I have been teaching them using just core decks so they learn good fundamentals. They have been coming along nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is coming back again, for a while there a few questions got asked several times per week, it was kind of annoying since it created a lot of spam in the forum, now I am all for helping out new players (I just took some time when I was on my way out to play a game with a person on OCTGN which was his 2nd octgn game and 4th total game), but imo we are curling these new players to much.

If someone asks a question that is clearly stated in the rules, or has been asked multiple times, or is in an old subject, I think it would be better to point them in that direction and ask them to search before asking, in a friendly way. This way the will hopefully learn and search first next time. I know NR can be a hassle, but if you are a new player, there is (almost) no question you'll be able to ask that is not covered in the rules or that can't be resolved by reading the structure of a turn/run flowcharts. The last sub 1% of questions that will be asked and are not covered in those places are all but surely to have been asked before in the forums (this also applies to not so new players).

We have some crazy individuals in this community (in a good way) that will make up an extreme fringe situation, the second a new card is spoiled, which can not be resolved trivialy by the rules and since it is only 3 seconds since the card was spoiled no-one else have had time to ask the question (hopefully). In this extreme case asking the community will not help, though it is fun to discuss and I welcome these types of questions, but the maker up:er of the question should e-mail/twitter Lukas to get the "right" answer and afterwards post it in "the thread"/a new thread, and voila, when someone not as crazy (again, in a good way) comes up with the fringe situation, the answer is already waiting for them.

There are a lot of players here that got the game down very good and are really helpful that is great. Cheers to everyone that helps out and makes the forums better

/end kinda rant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting that there seems to be an influx of new players happening to basically everyone's meta at once.

The other day, I had someone who said "Clicks 3 and 4, run on R&D", and thought that meant that he would see two cards, even if the first card turned out to be Ice/Operation. I think there's just a thought barrier. Netrunner plays rather like a program; not everyone thinks like one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't fully understand this either. Even when I was playing the game for the first time, after reading the rulebook and watching a tutorial video, I never once thought that you could use clicks on multiple cards simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes people feel like they're supposed to uncover a secret interaction between cards that they- and only they- can see.

And they're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do we care how many times a question is asked? Hopefully they are from a different person at least. The only thing I can think of is that it clutters up the rules forum, but since the experts out there already know everything, or can do their own search as described in the kinda rant above, then the clutter should be no issue to them. And those that don't mind can assist the new player. Best of all worlds in my opinion.

Either don't read the rule clarification posts or don't respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.