United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this game up and was getting ready to play it this weekend, and I come onto BGG to find people in a total panic about the perceived brokenness of this game. So far, I have learned:

1) The Temple of Mercury is overpowered, and should either be limited to 20 VPs or should require a relinquishment of resources when used.

2) The Labour Camp is overpowered and should be placed as a starting tile so that no one is able to benefit/profit from owning it.

3) The Market is overpowered and should be limited to one transaction per pip of the worker used.

4) The Blacksmith is overpowered and should not be used with the Temple mentioned above.

5) The rules for turn order are broken and can be gamed by players who deliberately stay in last place to gain more workers early in the game.

6) A lack of resource-generating buildings early on makes the game stagnate and should be made part of the opening market of buildings during the first turn.

What am I supposed to make of all of this? There is no way I am considering making all of these changes for my first play, but obviously there must be some serious problems with the game, or else so many "fixes" from so many people would never have come about. Right?

Is this a disaster beyond repair? Are the designers making attempts to revise the rules into a more satisfactory game (apart from the Temple of Mercury fix)? If I were to choose among the available "fixes," which one should I use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go read Rahdo's reply to my exact same concern before I decided to purchas this game, it's on order.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/45413/praetor/rahdo-runs-thro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

What am I supposed to make of all of this?

I would suggest playing it out of the box, as is, at least a couple of times before doing any modifications. Sometimes hearing about so many things being broken is a sign of a great game. Sometimes everything being broken means nothing is broken.

I've played twice with zero modifications and have enjoyed both plays with fairly tight scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say the only thing you need to do is limit the Temple of Mercury to 20VP max. That's all. Don't even tell the other players the gripes, see if they can come up with their own reasons why the game shouldn't work as is.

I like the game, despite its faults, it's fun and maybe a little overlong, but I wish they'd have playtested it a little more thoroughly. It makes me worry about their next game, Progress, which I Kickstarted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
I've played my first game yesterday. I was aware of this "ooh, the game is broken" hype, so I was ready for a disappointing experience and.. And I really liked it. I've played a two player game with my wife and everything went smoothly and really well. There's even no temple of Mercury in a two player game. Praetor is definitely not an overbalanced game like many others, where almost everything gives you the same amount of VP and you always finish with tight results. No, you can dramatically win or loose but not because of some broken tiles, but because of your choices and mistakes. And another thought, maybe I'm wrong but I think that in Praetor you really have to play against other player's strategies. Not just "I will do this while you will do that", but to be aware what other players are aiming at, and to try to prevent them from successfully achieve their goals.
Anyway, as a two player game I really liked it. Maybe my opinion will change later, but of today I would definitely call Praetor a good game. So in case of this game I would recommend you to listen to Joel Eddy or Rahdo because they're eurogamers and Vasel is terrible at eurogames. And I would recommend you to try the game with two or three players at most for your first times. There's lot of eurogames that are playable with large groups but your experience from it will be completely ruined. Play Lewis & Clark with five and you will never want to see this game again. Play it as a duel - wow, it would easily become your favourite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
Honestly, consider doing the 20VP fix only. It's easy enough, and fixes a major potential issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, like others have said, just limit the Favor Points allowed for the Temples. We limit them to 25 FP. All the rest of the "broken" issues are not really broken. They do add a lot of strategies to the game.

To even add more strategy to the game, change the rules for the Temples to that they have to pay the resources for the Favor Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing wrong with this game. People just like to get all uppity

I can name several other games with similar issues, that are highly ranked.

Turn order: See Power Grid. Same "issue". Gaming your turn order to gain a late advantage is an accepted strategy.

Overpowered stuff: Too numerous to mention. See Magic the Gathering, see Risk Legacy nukes, see Assassin card in Citadels, see etc. etc.

Just like with many other games, the point of the game is to decide how important certain actions are to you, and then dealing with the adversity of when your opponents jump on them first.

You think there's something too good to pass up in your game? Then get it before your opponent, isn't that the whole idea?

Just like with everything else in life, the deal is that you can't always get what you want, you don't have every option available to every single time. The type of game where every option is available at all times would be boring as heck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.