Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in getting into the 18xx genre and wanted to see if there was any specific game that could be recommended for solo play, or if there's even a 18xx game that is suitable for solo play (perhaps not designed this way but has a variant to be played this way). Thanks for all your recommendations and suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only 18xx I know of that has solo rules is 1829 Mainline. It's not one of the more popular 18xx titles though.

A better option would be to find the old 1830 computer game for the (DOS-based) PC. I'm sure there are people here who can give you instructions on finding it and installing it so that it will run on modern PCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
The only 18xx I know of that has solo rules is 1829 Mainline. It's not one of the more popular 18xx titles though.

A better option would be to find the old 1830 computer game for the (DOS-based) PC. I'm sure there are people here who can give you instructions on finding it and installing it so that it will run on modern PCs.

Thanks for the reply. I checked Mainline and found the Variant information there (never would have found that without your suggestion thumbsup )- figured I'd post the link here in case someone else is looking for solo play options with 18xx.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/541274/18xx-klondike-adaptin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:

That 1830 DOS game was great! I remember the AI as actually posing a decent challenge. I'll second the recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1830 dos game is abandonware you can play with dosbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be too light for your tastes, but compared to non 18xx games it's pretty heavy, and people seem to like it for solitaire: Silverton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it about 18xx games that makes them not be solitaire friendly? Do they tend to have auctions or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
What is it about 18xx games that makes them not be solitaire friendly? Do they tend to have auctions or something like that?
An initial auction, holding shares in other peoples companies, cutting people off with station markers, fighting over turn order on the stock chart and dumping companies onto other players. It's a highly interactive game that's extremely hard to simulate well with 2 players let alone 1 player.

Edit: Missing some words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
[listitem=3281909][/listitem]
[listitem=3281711][/listitem]
[listitem=3281658][/listitem]
[listitem=3281970][/listitem]
[listitem=3281598][/listitem]
[listitem=3282031][/listitem]
[listitem=3318363][/listitem]

Perfectly soloable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Enrico. Except for 1829 Mainline, none of the games is designed for solo play in the sense that you compete against the game system to see how large a score you can get, but if you want to play a multi-player game by moving around the table and making the best move for each position, they work fine. His videos will give you a good idea as to whether that would be enjoyable for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1829 Mainline. That said, in theory, there's no reason why that system couldn't be adapted to other 18XX games. I've never personally done it, but I would think it would work ok for several other titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do want to add that solo 18XX is very different than multi-player 18XX. In general, 18XX is a very interactive game where finding the optimal moves very much depends on what you think other players are going do. I really enjoy 1829 Mainline solo, but it probably only contains about 50% of the multiplayer 18XX experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I agree with Enrico. Except for 1829 Mainline, none of the games is designed for solo play in the sense that you compete against the game system to see how large a score you can get, but if you want to play a multi-player game by moving around the table and making the best move for each position, they work fine. His videos will give you a good idea as to whether that would be enjoyable for you.

I have used the Rails program to attempt a solo experience. While the board/positional stuff is reasonable for solitaire effort, I think trying to simulate multiple competing objectives in a stock round is nigh impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I do want to add that solo 18XX is very different than multi-player 18XX. In general, 18XX is a very interactive game where finding the optimal moves very much depends on what you think other players are going do. I really enjoy 1829 Mainline solo, but it probably only contains about 50% of the multiplayer 18XX experience.

In 18xx the other players can decide to worth with you to build a route that will be profitable to both of you, or they can decided to block you, or do both in parts of the same game. You won't get that in solo play.

Auctions at the begining, as well as buying and selling shares of companies belonging to others are also big parts of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.