Popular Tags: [View All]
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK let's hear some hints.
What do you try to do?
Why wouldn't you always draw 2 cards unless scoring?
play 2 & clear seems to be used if you're screwed or trying to screw someone.
It seems you need luck to START a route.
If you get crap cards, you do a Milleboure-(draw discard, draw discard)
Unless I read something wrong,
many turns I just drew & dumped. Once you get a route it seems easier to get cards. The game never got off the ground & was aborted; surely not a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait just a freakin minute...what do you mean you draw then discard, draw then discard. There is only one time you discard any of your cards (of course I can't remember when that is).

On your turn, you can do one of three things in the beginning.
1) Flush all 6 of the cards that are face up, and replace them with 6 new ones, and then draw 1 card (either from the face up, or face down pile).

2) Draw 2 cards (either from the face up or face down pile, or a combo of).

3) Draw 1 card (either from the face up or face down pile)

Otherwise, you aren't discarding cards. That has happened to me maybe 3 times in about 10 games. I believe it occurs after you play a route, and you have to discard down to 3.

If you aren't playing a route the current turn (turning in cards to place your little houses), you should always be either drawing 2 or playing 2, unless the cards available to you make you flush them, or you don't have 2 cards that connect in your hand, and you are pushing your luck.

What I try to do in the beginning, is to build a route of all grey (ones in the middle), or go for a mix of 1 of several colors. Like dark blue, grey, light blue, dark green, light green, and purple. Obviously that is not easy, but you want to get those bonus point chips for 5,6, and 7 house routes.

Avoid building minimum house routes. Like placeing only 2 houses to claim the 3 route card. Very bad. Trust me, it took me a while to figure that out. Getting more houses on the board is more important than some of the bonus chits.

Most games I've played, the winner has built routes that allowed him to place 5-7 houses per route. This gets rid of your houses, gains you a bonus chit, and most likely gets you close to getting the other colored route bonus chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
You only discard down to 3 cards in your hand when you SCORE a route - while you are playing, you can hold as many cards as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
watch the routes others are collecting:

- take their cards too, i grab 2 of the same cards of a single city/province card knowing there are only 3 of each in the deck and the other was just played, you can keep them from collecting the province tokens for awhile, works better with less players

- dont always clear the 6 looking for the one great card for yourself if one showing will do the job decently and the other 5 showing do nothing for the next player, make them waste their special action clearing

little things like this can lead to a narrow victory, especially in a 2 player game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OK let's hear some hints.
What do you try to do?
Why wouldn't you always draw 2 cards unless scoring?
play 2 & clear seems to be used if you're screwed or trying to screw someone.
It seems you need luck to START a route.
If you get crap cards, you do a Milleboure-(draw discard, draw discard)
Unless I read something wrong,
many turns I just drew & dumped. Once you get a route it seems easier to get cards. The game never got off the ground & was aborted; surely not a good sign.

First I'd learn to play the game correctly first.

Each turn you do the following in order:
- Draft a card from the 6 face up cards or the top of the deck
- Play a card to the beginning or end of your route
- May score your route: Place houses (all in one color or one in each different color of your route), claim any chits/carriage earned, discard down to 3 cards if you have more.

In addition you may perform one special action:
- Flush the 6 face up cards (Do this when you need to find a specific card and it is not on the display or to possibly try to prevent an opponent from grabbing a needed card.)
- Draw a second card (Use this is if see 2 cards you can definitely use. Or when you are short of cards early in the game or after scoring.)
- Play two cards to your route (Use this when you are preparing to claim a chit--because the first person to claim a chit gets a more valuable chit. Ending the game first is worth a point, etc.)
- Add two to length of your route for purposes of claiming a carriage: Useful if you have no plans to go beyond a 3 or 4 length route (because that finishes an area.)

All have specific times when each should be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitti
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I know this thread is quite old. But I thought the original poster might have been referring to continually having to discard the route (not discarding cards) due to not having enough connecting cities.

Any advice on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never ever leave yourself in a situation where you are depending on your next draw to be able to continue your route. You should have the nect card you're going to play in your hand already.
When you're behind, you might want to take some risks, but in most situations I adhere to my golden rule, and I can't remember ever having discarded a route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the six cards on the board don't connect, blind draw one from the deck. Odds are that one will connect to one of the six.

And if that doesn't work and next turn you regrettedly have to discard your route, you should have one card in hand, so it's unlikely that you can't find a connecting pair within the 8 cards (your hand card, one blind draw, plus the six on the board). If you have to discard repeatedly, something is wrong with your play, if not your shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.