12 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Edge Token sense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schw Ix
msg tools
What is the Sense of Edge-Token?
The Edge-Tokens are placed on the old map-tile when exploring a new one.
They only hinder me from exploring a new map tile in the same direction again, what abviously is not working anyways, because there is a tile now.
Also, when I scroll the tiles, the token will just disapear, alowing me to leave a tile into the direction I came from and exploring an new map?!

Here some pictures of how I understood how its working:

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the Edge-Token on the new tile?
It would hinder me to go back the way I came from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another Thread Juraj explained that the Edge tokens prevent some possible exploits with the map tile scrolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that too, but I can’t imagine what possible exploit there could be other than the one pictured above, which obviously is not prevented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we look at the last picture, we can see that it is no more possible to go to tile 3. When there are no Edge tokens you can go to tile 3 again remove tile 4 and after that it is also possible to go again to tile 4 and remove tile 3. I think that want Juraj to prevent. But i can be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Sascha Your are right! This is the "exploit" we found during playtesting the game. We switched maptiles every now and then until we got a "good" one. And we nearly never hat monster because we switched again and they were banished by this before the reached us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schw Ix
msg tools
Without edge-token, I see that you could use the scrolling to your benefit.
But even with the edge-token used how they're supposed to be, the use
like I showed above is pssible, what seems kinda wrong.

I read in the storybook, the explorers weren't able to find the same way out that they found in. It would be logical to block the path you came from. It would also make scroll-cheating impossible.

My suggestion is, to put the edge-token on the newly explored tile.
there is no way to scroll back into the direction you came from, so the only way ist forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To prevent any possible exploit - put edge tiles on the new and old tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schw Ix
msg tools
That would be a possibility, but I see no advantage over the method to put a token to the new tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could contain Spoilers

@Schw Ix "the explorers weren't able to find the same way out that they found in"

I don't want to spoil to much of the story but this is something which has to do with the Howling mountain itself. To go back and don't find what you saw there last time is something which is part of the story and not a exploit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schw Ix
msg tools
I see your point. To follow the spirit of the story, no edge-token would be necessary. But due the scrolling-exploit, we need the edge-token.

At some point scrolling becomes impossible in one direction (as shown in the first post, after moving back where tile 1 was before, you can never again go to the right from tile 2), which not fitting the story. Since we can't be true to the story all the time, I would prefer to always have the option to move forward. That might just be my preference.

I also did just realize how rusty my english has become o.o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I might be wrong on this, but if I remember reading the rules correctly, once a tile has an edge token on it, you can not create another tile from it. In the above example, once tile 2 creates tile 3, tile 2 cannot be used to explore new tiles, so it also blocks the north and south directions from tile 2. This essentially make a linear progression through the dungeon. It also forces you to get rid of the entry token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schw Ix
msg tools
Quote:
When an explorer explores a new map tile, put an edge token onthe edge of the activating explorer's map tile. If there is already an edge token on that map tile edge, the exploring effect cannot be resolved.

The Edge Token only blocks that edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.