Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: Star Trek Dot Com Borg Scout Cube Preview is up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
http://www.startrek.com/article/borg-scout-cube-scout-608-fo...

I can't say I ever thought we'd see a borg ship with 3 agility.

This might be the ideal platform to launch Borg Missiles from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well these are starting sooner than expected. Catching us off guard after taking so long with wave 6!

Its actually only a tad smaller than I was expecting. Definitely an interesting stat distribution. Did not expect the 3 agility at all. I did wonder how they were going to handle the possibility of outfitting it with the hull armor. I'm guessing the generic must not have a Borg Upgrade slot.

Too bad they don't show the maneuver card with these.

Also, Tactical Drone #3, lol. Wonder if they're all going to have some form of Tactical Drone. Odd that this particular one is marked as unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
I did wonder how they were going to handle the possibility of outfitting it with the hull armor.

The ship card says no Borg upgrades over a certain price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assimilation Tubules not withstanding the Borg now have some of the best Ganking cards to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:
I did wonder how they were going to handle the possibility of outfitting it with the hull armor.

The ship card says no Borg upgrades over a certain price.

Yes, I worded that poorly. What I meant was before this preview got posted, I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the big Borg upgrades like that without just not giving it a Borg slot. Obvious now that for the named that solution is part of the ship ability. And my speculation is that the generic will just not have the slot (as no generic has had an ability yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Townsend
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magnetometric Guided Charge is going to be abused to no end. Just what the Borg needed...MORE power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General_Drazz wrote:
Magnetometric Guided Charge is going to be abused to no end. Just what the Borg needed...MORE power.

I don't know, it's a fairly costly upgrade on par with a weaker Additional Weapons Array. Cutting through defense is admittedly nice, but that's situational. Against a defense-stacking cloaked type stuff, potentially devastating, against another Borg ship or a 1 agility dreadnaught, they scarcely notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1/2 size images.... BLARG! arrrhzombierobot

It will be fun to have a cube that I can play with Enterprise/TOS series ships since this won't be too overpowering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
Assimilation Tubules not withstanding the Borg now have some of the best Ganking cards to choose from.

Yikes. Very nice crew ganking cards. I'm surprised that these don't require you to spend a drone token to use them. I both want these and don't want these to arrive before I play some more Borg OP events lol. At least it won't be until September.

5 generic cards, that's quite a few, although Borg Alcove is a repeat, so I guess I shouldn't count that one.

I'd be interested in Subspace Beacon for factions other than the Borg. Mr. Spock, Dmitri Valtane, etc, you aren't necessarily locked into the Excelsior or needing Picard with a bajillion actions. Tasty

Interesting to note: the ONLY Borg upgrade that is 5 or under are the two that come with this pack (and Borg Alcove also came with the cube). I'm very happy about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
General_Drazz wrote:

I don't know, it's a fairly costly upgrade on par with a weaker Additional Weapons Array. Cutting through defense is admittedly nice, but that's situational. Against a defense-stacking cloaked type stuff, potentially devastating, against another Borg ship or a 1 agility dreadnaught, they scarcely notice.

If that upgrade card didn't have the Borg ship only restriction, I could see it getting abused heavily as it becomes a mobile cloaked mines upgrade (although expensive). The two powerhouses are still going to be the Cube and the Sphere. Points are a premium. It would really only benefit me against cloaked ships, but it's not too tough to punch through those cloaks when rolling 6-7, sometimes 8 dice on a single primary weapon attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I already had my replacement model printed. Looks so cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
With so many hit points tied up in its shields, this ship potentially falls hard to ferengi missiles/polaron beam.

stpitner wrote:
If that upgrade card didn't have the Borg ship only restriction, I could see it getting abused heavily as it becomes a mobile cloaked mines upgrade (although expensive). The two powerhouses are still going to be the Cube and the Sphere. Points are a premium. It would really only benefit me against cloaked ships, but it's not too tough to punch through those cloaks when rolling 6-7, sometimes 8 dice on a single primary weapon attack.

Oh, yeah, if it weren't Borg Only then we might be in business. But on any ship other than the one it comes with you're right that you might as well just juice up your big primary attack to overcome defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Townsend
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
With so many hit points tied up in its shields, this ship potentially falls hard to ferengi missiles/polaron beam.

stpitner wrote:

Oh, yeah, if it weren't Borg Only then we might be in business. But on any ship other than the one it comes with you're right that you might as well just juice up your big primary attack to overcome defense.

MGC
Montgomery Scott
Tuvok

that off the top of my head is a 6 die attack that cannot be evaded. Thats pretty much instant kill on any cloaked ship.

Throw on a Energy Dissipator to drop shields first, and now you are dropping all but 2 ships in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
General_Drazz wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty much just an "FU ROMULANS - LOL" card, which...well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
General_Drazz wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty much just an "FU ROMULANS - LOL" card, which...well...

its the first real card to help battle a 9 dice evek fleet in a long time. It won't see much use, but it will make defense stackers think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The quirky completionist in me wishes a 1st and 5th of 5 were also included so I could run one happy little family of 5 on a ship somewhere....just because.

I like that they're going somewhere a little interesting with more shields than hull. It would be nice to see a little more variety in ship designs with something like that, somewhat delaying the inevitable repeat of stat lines likely to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zinvictus wrote:
The quirky completionist in me wishes a 1st and 5th of 5 were also included so I could run one happy little family of 5 on a ship somewhere....just because.

Perhaps that's one of them depicted on Scavenged Parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:

Perhaps that's one of them depicted on Scavenged Parts.

Certainly it is, but I'd rather have them represented as people too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Boe
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
Why is wizkids determined to make the Borg more and MORE powerful? Assimilation Tubules was bad enough and now they get even more amazing ganking cards? Does it matter what I put on my ship or will it all be disabled, discarded, and assimilated? Really hoses Fed players when their key strength is upgrades? Takes the fun out of thinking of inventive builds when in the back of your mind you're thinking: "This might be a good combo of cards...until it's assimilated." And how many ships can survive being one shotted by a Cube with target lock and battlestations with 2 shields disabled from 4 of 5? LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Drazz wrote:

They needed it.

If they couldn't nullify cloaking, then in certain situations a Romulan ship might be able to do almost-well against a Borg. Thank goodness that will never be the case, and the healthy and entertaining Borg Meta will continue unabated.

Range of 1-3 and crit conversion is also helpful. They should probably add, "this card can not be stolen or discarded for any reason" so this ability cannot possibly be cheesed away by those other devious races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
General_Drazz wrote:

They needed it.

If they couldn't nullify cloaking, then in certain situations a Romulan ship might be able to do almost-well against a Borg. Thank goodness that will never be the case, and the healthy and entertaining Borg Meta will continue unabated.

Range of 1-3 and crit conversion is also helpful. They should probably add, "this card can not be stolen or discarded for any reason" so this ability cannot possibly be cheesed away by those other devious races.

Your sarcasm aside, as others have said, its mostly only useful on the scout cube. Unless a target has a lot of defense conversion, the Cube/Sphere/Soong are just better off using their primary weapon against a cloaked ship. This upgrade isn't really a power increase for the Borg outside the scout cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Your sarcasm aside, as others have said, its mostly only useful on the scout cube. Unless a target has a lot of defense conversion, the Cube/Sphere/Soong are just better off using their primary weapon against a cloaked ship. This upgrade isn't really a power increase for the Borg outside the scout cube.

Well, thank the heavens that the poor 360 arc incredibly fast and maneuverable scout cube doesn't have to suffer through the indignity of possibly having a bad matchup. I would really hate to think that even their smallest ship would be forced to play the fucking game instead of just comparing lists and seeing who won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:

Well, thank the heavens that the poor 360 arc incredibly fast and maneuverable scout cube doesn't have to suffer through the indignity of possibly having a bad matchup. I would really hate to think that even their smallest ship would be forced to play the fucking game instead of just comparing lists and seeing who won.

The thing has 6 durability. Even with that 3 agility, it probably won't last very long if you are intent on destroying it quickly. Your post is a perfect example of someone over-reacting to something just because it has to do with the word "Borg."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
The thing has 6 durability. Even with that 3 agility, it probably won't last very long if you are intent on destroying it quickly. Your post is a perfect example of someone over-reacting to something just because it has to do with the word "Borg."

If that was some sort of tradeoff, it would be meaningful. As it stands though, the ship is flat better than every other ship in its class, due to its arc and superior mobility (that, again, it is not paying for). The last thing it actually needed was a way to nullify the unique advantages of other ships. It already has massive advantages.

Was my post overreacting? Probably. I'll own that. I'm just sick of the ludicrous design decisions in this game. Part of me is hoping that we will eventually see evidence of a shift in the game's design, where balance is actually considered before more crap is thrown on the already-teetering pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I still say the most devastating thing you can probably slot in for a weapon is going to be the Borg Missile. Unlike other Borg ships, there's no opportunity cost of losing out on a big, damaging attack to fire the missile. So you run it on the little guy and have him just hobble the heck out of the other ship's action economy so the jumbo borg ship can finish it off with ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.