Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I wrote in an earlier session report, our first attempt at Reef Encounter was not a success for my wife. However, our second attempt was much better, and she totally beat me!

One of the big differences this time around was that we did a lot more attacking to get more consumed tiles, and we made use of those tiles in a variety of ways. No one ate coral right away, but when we had each fed, then there was some tile fixing, of what we wanted to score low and what we wanted to score high.

My wife made a massive attack in which she netted about 5 consumed tiles. There were some crazy turns, one of which where white ate pink, then tiles were flipped, then pink ate white. We developed cool strategies, some of which even worked. One of mine involved grey coral, but by the time I got a large coral of grey set up, I forgot exactly what that strategy was. My wife had a similar experience with one of her plans.

I had a feeling about half way through that my wife was doing very well indeed, and I was in a rush to feed my parrotfish as hers had fed three times to my two. I was also in a rush to fix more tiles.

Unfortunately I made a rookie mistake. She was not in a position to feed, but because I had fixed the second last tile, she was in a position to end the game and did.

Three of the polyps were worth four points each. The final score: me-22; my wife: 42.

Obviously she caught on to the game quite well. She said that she likes it a lot more, but still finds it frustrating.

I think this time I got too worried about the tiles and using them to advantage, and did not concentrate enough on feeding. So much to do!

I am very happy she feels it will grow on her. It was such a feeling of dread to play such a cool game and not have your spouse (not to mention main gaming partner) like it. This is definitely a game that requires a number of plays to get the hang of. It is a very cool game. At this stage, I am marvelling at how involved a game this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My wife says: "I think it will grow on me--like a polyp.
I'm really happy to hear things went well the second time around! My SO isn't such a big fan of RE so I play more online these days at SbW, she is however a big fan of Runebound and enjoys kicking my ass at that on a fairly regular basis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My wife says: "I think it will grow on me--like a polyp.
Glad to hear it went well. As you observed, consumed polyps are definitely the key to an exciting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife kicks my butt a lot when we play this game, too. Not that I mind: I'm just happy she likes to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with you on that. I'm very happy that I can look forward to playing more of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.