Chris Sabol
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own
1 core
2 Tie Fighters, 1 each Interceptor, Advanced, Defender, Phantom and Imperial Aces
2 A wings, 1 each X wing, Y Wing, B Wing

There are a few of us just getting into the game that are going to meet tomorrow for the first time to get in some play time. I've thrown together 4 lists that I think should work, be fun and easy to deal with for us noobs. The one thing I am not using now that I think I would like to is Darth with Marksmanship, a combo I think is pretty pro. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NOOB SWARM 99 points
Ties and Interceptors
21 points Saber Squadron Pilot #1
21 points Saber Squadron Pilot #2
21 points Saber Squadron Pilot #3
12 points Academy Pilot #1
12 points Academy Pilot #2
12 points Academy Pilot #3

TRIUMPH 100 points
33 points Carnor Jax Royal Guard TIE, Hull Upgrade, Shield Upgrade
24 points Howlrunner Expert Handling, Shield Upgrade
43 points Rexler Brath Ion Cannon, Marksmanship

REBEL AAXY (V1.0) 100 points
19 points Green Squadron Pilot #1
19 points Green Squadron Pilot #2
32 points Wedge Antilles R5 Astromech, Swarm Tactics
30 points Horton Salm Ion Cannon Turret

NOOB REBEL QUINTET (AAXXY) 100 points
20 points Grey Squadron Pilot
19 points Green Squadron Pilot #1
19 points Green Squadron Pilot #2
21 points Rookie Pilot #1
21 points Rookie Pilot #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these lists could be fun and would help everyone learn the ships. That said, if I was a total beginner I'd probably shy away from lists with more than 4 ships - just to keep the games a bit more manageable and have less bumper-car action.

I like Triumph except you wouldn't want Marksmanship on Brath because it would eliminate his ability from being usable - even though it's not a common one to pop up. If you use Marksmanship you wouldn't have a focus to spend.

Vader is a lot of fun - if he had 3 attack he'd be pretty great I think - especially with Engine Upgrade and something like Outmaneuver or Predator.

Soontir is a great pilot to get used to - and B-Wings with HLC and Advanced Sensors or Fire Control Systems are fun (I forget where those 2 cards- Lambda? Slave 1? If so you'd not have them obviously)

Predator is a nice 'target lock light' that is usable on each of your attacks - nice on Brath so you can (maybe) hold your focus for his ability.

Here's a Brath list I have been tinkering with. Soontir and Mauler can try and peel away shields before a Brath attack. Soontir is an amazing soloist and Mauler is just a personal choice so he can shoot earlier - Backstabber or Night Beast or Howl (etc.) could sub in and you could tinker with either Engine Upgrade on Brath or some other combo.

Stealth Device could easily go on Fel instead of Brath - may be better there.

Mauler Mithel : Veteran Instincts, Targeting Computer
Soontir Fel : Push the Limit
Rexler Brath: Heavy Laser Cannon, Predator, Stealth Device

I like a Vader/Soontir/Echo list also - though Echo isn't loaded as well as I'd like.

Darth Vader: Outmaneuver, Engine Upgrade
Soontir Fel: Push the Limit
"Echo" : Advanced Cloaking Device

On a side note - any chance you used to live in the Lake Worth area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to X-Wing Miniatures!

Here are some recommendations that I hope are useful for your group.
I’ve tried to keep the ship types and number of ships the same, assuming that’s the number/types of ships you would like to play.

NOOB SWARM

Avenger Interceptor x3 (60 points)
Obsidian Squadron TIE x3 (39 points)

You have all ships at the same pilot skill which should make maneuvering a lot easier. I am assuming you are playing against squads with mostly either low pilot skill (1-2) or named pilots (>7). So pilot skill 3 for your Interceptors should be enough to benefit from their abilities, since you had no elite pilot skills on your Sabre Interceptors anyway.

Alternative:
Sabre Interceptor + Push The Limit + Targeting Computer x2 (52 points)
Academy TIE x4 (48 points)

TRIUMPH

Carnor Jax + Royal Guard Title + Push The Limit + Shield + Stealth (36 points)
Backstabber (16 points)
Rexler Brath + Heavy Laser Cannon + Predator (47 points)

You need to be at range 1 to benefit from Howlrunners ability and you want Carnor Jax in the middle of your opponents ships. That leaves just Rexler to fly in formation with Howlrunner. And Howlrunner is a bit expensive to boost just one ship. And like Masterhit wrote, Marksmanship seems to counter Rexlers own pilot ability.
Putting a Heavy Laser Cannon on Rexler boosts his offensive power and Predator gives you the (probably 2) reroll just like Howlrunner.
Jax with Push The Limits can turtle with Focus and Evade and Shield + Stealth hopefully keeps him alive long enough. Denying Focus means a higher chance for Rexlers shots to get through without using Focus himself, so you might use his pilot ability instead.
When fielding just one TIE Fighter Backstabber is a great pilot to fly on his own either flanking/attacking with 3 dice like an interceptor or drawing enemy fire away from your other (more important?) ships. He’s already great without any upgrades.

DARTH VADER

Darth Vader + Marksmanship + Concussion Missile (36 points)
Backstabber (16 points)
Academy TIE x4 (48 points)

I think this squad should be really fun to learn the game as an Imperial Player. Vader is fun to fly, Marksmanship is a good Elite Talent for him like you said and Concussion missile was/is considered one of the best missile options for Vader (Fireing it with Focus from his second action and re-rolling a blank almost guarantees 4 hits in the attack). And the squad is not overly complicated to fly, no tricky/complex pilot talents and upgrades.

I’ll try to come up with some thoughts on your Rebel squads (too much time obviously).
Hope this helps.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REBEL AAXY

Green Squadron + Deadeye + Concussion x 2 (or Homing/Assault Missile without Deadeye)
Wedge Antilles
Gold Squadron + Ion Turret

I think it would be a good idea for the A-Wings to either use their missile slot (and for you to learn using missiles) or use Push The Limit to zip around (A-Wings have a lot of green maneuvers on their dial to get rid of the stress next turn). Naked A-Wings should be Prototype Pilots so you can use the points to upgrade other ships).
In your squad you could change the Green Squadron Pilots to Prototypes and use the 4 points on a Proton Torpedo for Horton (useful with Hortons re-roll ability at range 2-3). Without the torpedoes I would downgrade Horton to a Gold Squadron. You still have the Ion Turret on a Y-Wing.
Swarm Tactics for Wedge is less useful since the A-Wings are probably not at range 1 and you don’t want to tie your best offensive ship to the slow moving and less maneuverable Y-Wing.

Alternative:
Green Squadron + Push The Limit x2
Wedge Antilles + Push The Limit + R2

Prototype A-Wing x2
Wedge + Marksmanship
Horton + Proton Torpedo + Ion Turret

(or Expert Handling + R2 on Wedge instead of Marksmanship. Wedge gains the barrel roll to get out of enemy firing arcs and uses R2 for more options to get rid of the stress)

NOOB REBEL QUINTET (AAXXY)

Prototype A-Wing x 2
Rookie X-Wing x2
Gold Squadron Y-Wing + Ion Turret

For naked A-Wings look at the comment above. I guess you chose the Greens and the Grey to get to 100 points?
Pilot skill 2 on the Gold Squadron should be enough for generic TIEs and a Y-Wing without a Turret might be a bit weak on the offensive side (and you or who ever is flying the squad can learn to use turrets this way).

And at last my suggestion for a learning Squadron for the Rebels.

REBELS

Luke + R2D2 + Torpedo
Rookie x3

Luke + Swarm Tactics
Rookie
Green Squadron + Push The Limit + Concussion Missile

The first Squadron fields some iconic characters (Luke, R2D2, X-Wing) that should immerse you into the game and is on the other hand easy to handle and fly and does not rely on complicated abilities. And you can fire a torpedo for fun (at Darth Vader?)

The second squadron gives you 3 different types of Rebel ships to experiment with. You can get used to firing missiles and turrets and even practice some formation flying with Luke and the Rookie (Swarm Tactics on Luke).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sabol
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great feedback Protko. Unfortunately, I don't have the ships for some of the layouts but it is a great start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I forgot that you don't have 4 X-Wings. And I just realised that Imperial Aces only comes with Sabre Squadron and Royal Guard Pilots as generics.
But since you seem to be playing a friendly match you could proxy the missing Avenger Cards?

Anyway, good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.