Subject: Enemy placement, LOS questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett F
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools

This is my first post and probably the first of many in this section. Ive had this game for about a week and am now going through the first mission after video tutorials and guides. My questions on the following image:

1- while clearing PCs on this card I found squad/squad...1 on my card and one at max LOS. Is the top card I placed behind row 3 correct for "max LOS" because of the white border in row 3?

2- would this be crossfire or would the enemy in row 4 not shoot due to risk of friendly fire?

3- would the "unspotted" unit in my card stay that way?

4- maybe I missed it, but how would the close combat be resolved? Do I place a pdf within the card along with vof for each side?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take.

1. Correct.
2. Enemy in row 4 will not open fire to the location (I am in doubt about this one)
3. Yes. It is easier to spot but you still need to do it.
4. No PDF marker is placed, just 2 VOF one on top for the germans one at the bottom for your units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett F
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help, Antonio.

#2- I'm going with the German unit on the 4th row not firing until their buddies on my card (hopefully) are wiped out.

#4- Since they are not spotted on my card I'm guessing only my units would get a VOF until I successfully spot them. Correct?

This is my first wargame and I am having a great time figuring it out. I bought this after playing through the Brothers in Arms PC game series for the millionth time and FoF really scratches the itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: question 2. No, he shoots at you. What happens though is that PC in the 4th row gets removed because of the PDF through the card from the enemy unit in the 5th row.

9.2.2. on page 38 reads:

"Enemy units that are placed that are firing through intervening PC markers along the line of fire cause those intervening PC markers to be removed if at the same level."

In other words, they won't fire through their own troops but, if (for example, the 5th row enemy was) on a higher elevation, are allowed to shoot over their heads.

P.S. To the OP, Brett, despite my 1,800-word comment/rant about the game and occasional disparaging sounding posts (made mostly in frustrating moments), FoF is (arguably) as innovative and brilliant as the wargame I put at the top of the pile, Up Front. Certainly nothing matches it's focus on command and control. Stick with it. As a wargamer of 40+ years I struggled a lot at first but it's slowly permeating into my brain and slowly rising up in my ratings. (And go grab the Commonwealth counters and Italy deck!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

2. Enemy in row 4 will not open fire to the location (I am in doubt about this one)

I think they shoot, but I am also not sure. Reasons:
a) When you set up enemy forces, they always fire at the unit that triggered the PC. The second squad would be pretty useless if it did not fire.
b) I vaguely remember something about "interlocking defenses" where the enemy opens up even when it causes friendly fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett F
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi David,

thanks for pitching in. I have lurked on quite a few threads and your posts have helped me though a few snags already. Ok so, understanding this all correctly:

-GER squad on the 4th row takes away the PC marker from the card below it.
(I have this in my notes, late night brain flatulence I guess)

-This same squad is now shooting at the card with me and another GER squad in it then? Would that be a crossfire VOF due to 2 different squads shooting now?

I also just realized neither GER squad has default cover placed...

So far I am really liking FoF, I get satisfaction on learning something new and having it click and I see plenty of potential for this happening here. I'm glad I made the jump from controllers to cardboard so far, and have a playlist ready for the Vietnam campaign while I "run through the jungle"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyquest14 wrote:
This same squad is now shooting at the card with me and another GER squad in it then?

Yes, this is the rare instance where the German unit at the top will open fire on a card containing another German unit. That's in the paragraph on the same page (38) that I quoted previously. This is because the enemy unit are most often found in some sort of cover (trenches and the like) which, as you pointed out, they would be in this case. This is the "interlocking defences" Andreas was mentioning.

Nyquest14 wrote:
Would that be a crossfire VOF due to 2 different squads shooting now?

The first times I played FoF I would have thought "yes", but after re-reading the definition of crossfire on page 23 several times, along with the definition of PDF on the same page, I think now the answer is actually no.

Crossfire requires two PDFs markers to be "aimed" at the card with a unit on it and in this case with an enemy and friendly unit on the same card in close combat with no PDF placed, there is only one. And PDFs are clearly for when "units on a card exert a VOF into another card."

Brett, I have a Vassal save file created for the start of Mission One Normandy if you ever want to do a joint walkthrough online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett F
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
Excellent breakdown of the rules, thank you! I am ready to head back into Trevieres now...just have to get through the work day.

I have Vassal and the Normandy campaign loaded up on the laptop, so I will have to take you up on that offer in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.