https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I've seen it a couple times before but this is such a great video it demands another watch!

Photon Torpedoes -- FULL SPREAD!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voyagers ship ability should totally have been
"When you fire a photon torpedo, you may add another photon torpedo card to the ship for free.

Photon torpedoes do not take up a weapon upgrade slot on USS Voyager"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've heard this a lot, but I've always just assumed that the parts could be replicated as long as they have the schematics and the energy. Seems like my assumption is wrong though since people with far more Trek knowledge are always bringing up this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The retcon on Voyager was that it was always able to build new torpedoes but didn't carry the required raw materials for the replicators. Subsequent exploration allowed them to gain the the materials needed to make more. Of course, none of that was ever indicated in the show. (They did visit an arms dealer once and bought an Isokinetic Cannon then promptly forgot about it.)

More likely, it was the Star Trek Infinite Reset Plot Device Button installed just before she was launched.

Side Note: I actually liked Voyager but it was a HUGE missed opportunity. The show could have been a little "grittier" and the damage Voyager sustained should have been carried on throughout the episodes. Required repairs should have had some impact on their decisions in following episodes. (Kind of like the Galactica reboot, an excellent series for 2 1/2 seasons.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Ron Moore commented that he wanted Voyager to progressively fall apart over the series.

But the budget limitations of Stock Footage, and too many writers prevented it.

He went on to do NuBSG, where the Galactica got more and more dilapidated each season until (spoiler alert) almost literally breaking in half due to metal fatigue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with "they make more torpedoes" is Janeway SAYS THEY CAN'T DO THAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
The problem with "they make more torpedoes" is Janeway SAYS THEY CAN'T DO THAT.

I believe that reference is in season 1-2 when they were on replicator rations. Remember "there's coffee in that nebula". Once the found new sources to power the replicators they were fine, which happened around season 3 iircc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The limited shuttles and torpedoes isn't a big deal. Its believable that at some point they found a way to replenish them (they built two Delta Flyers! surely they could build shuttles they didn't even have to design, as well as torpedoes). What's a bit more of a headscratcher is the crew complement. Not quite as easy to replace personnel that died routinely. Though to be fair, they did also pick up most of the Equinox's crew after season 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect most of a torpedo would be moderately easy to replicate--the only really difficult part would be arming it with antimatter.

At the time Janeway made the comment about "no way to replace them" (in the first episode, I think?), she probably wasn't counting on finding new sources of antimatter to

a) refuel the ship and
b) arm new torpedoes.

But presumably, somewhere along the way they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring two of the premise points (Maquis vs Federation contention was the other) is the reason this show is nothing more than half-baked. Had they maintained the serial-show tension of a ship continually improvising it would have been more memorable for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ex8404 wrote:

Side Note: I actually liked Voyager but it was a HUGE missed opportunity. The show could have been a little "grittier" and the damage Voyager sustained should have been carried on throughout the episodes. Required repairs should have had some impact on their decisions in following episodes. (Kind of like the Galactica reboot, an excellent series for 2 1/2 seasons.)

I thought the show should have been more like year of hell but no reset. To the point of the voyager that left to stop the Maquis would barely be recognized as voyager when the ship returned to earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only things they could never replicate were the Doctor's mobile emitter and the Bio Neural Gel Packs.

I actually like Voyager, it is my second favorite series. I enjoy how they kept a good balance between serious and humerus stories without being too campy. The only things I wish the writers changed is it would have been neat to keep the Equinox around for a season or two as the anti Voyager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they found more torpedoes under the couch cushions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have this video queued up when you're ready to argue with the TO that Transphasic Torpedoes can't be discarded when fired from Voyager (or any secondary weapon for that matter).

On the other hand this game is hardly thematic when you can have Captain Kirk on the Valdore rubbing palms with the Ferengi or some crap like that. Theme, what theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Corbett
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The elite talent should have been:

Fire another volley:

When you are required to disable a secondary weapons system, discard this card to re-enable it. Immediately make another attack with the same weapon against the original target.

5pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.