Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Opening Moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
TI is a very complex game. You are always making plans which you have to alter with every move of an opponent. But if everything comes to pass - if you get the SC you want, the order in which SCs are played is as you want it, etc. - then what would be your favourite opening moves with the different races?

Example:

Jol'Nar
I guess many players know the Jol'Nar opening move.
If you get Trade II and play it as your first action, you get 3 TG + 3 ressources from your HS. If Technology II is played you can buy Micro and Nano Technology and in your next Action you get your planet cards refreshed and usable.

Bonus: If production is played after you get these new ressources you can build another carrier to claim even more planets in round one.

Do you have some "perfect" moves up your sleeve which you would like to share or discuss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll grant you the Jol'Nar best first move is scripted, other than where the trade goods come from (you may get them from starting position, etc).

For everyone else, unless you can tell me all systems within 2 hexes of my homeworld I can't even begin to tell you my first move or first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that scripting is pretty rare. As a rule of thumb, if Production is in the game, Your first move almost invariably needs to be "Move starting carrier and take adjacent system", so that you're under your fleet supply for when the owner of Production activates it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
Agree that scripting is pretty rare. As a rule of thumb, if Production is in the game, Your first move almost invariably needs to be "Move starting carrier and take adjacent system", so that you're under your fleet supply for when the owner of Production activates it.

Except I always pick an XRD race over a non-XRD race, and failing that, almost always a race that can achieve XRD on the first turn (and 2 carriers over 1).

So often it's non-adjacent tile (I'm happy to gamble with bigger swing domain counters), but whichever are the best two systems in reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Adjacent" being contextual there

Of actual interest for starting actions though are the Arborec. They've got a tough choice early on of needing to use their troops to capture planets, but also really needing their troops to build more troops so they can start snowballing their unit production. I've only played them once shortly after Shards came out, and only in a 3 player game, so not practical experience. Whenever my friends play them they tend to do quite poorly, and I'm usually too focused on my plan and keeping the game running to be able to ponder what actions they should take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I gave some thought to a Mentak opening move.

I would probably go for a high risk opening move and pick the Technology SC.

Turn 1:
With that in my hands my first turn would be to move the Carrier with 2 GF to an adjancent system and to (hopefully) invade two planets with 1 GF each.

This leaves me with 3 Cruisers and 2 GFs in my HS and 2 CC in my Command Supply.

Turn 2:
In most cases the player with the Production SC would play it and we would use the secondary to buy 1 Cruiser and 2 GFs. That is 3 Units for 3 ressources, our HS has 4 ressources.

Our second turn would be to use our Tech SC to get Stasis Capsules, whether Production has already been played or not. (If it has not been played in the second turn it sure will be played before our third... except for the fuc... Yssaril)

Now we have 4 Cruisers and 4 GF in our HS and 2 CC in our Command Supply.

Turn 3 and 4 will be acquiring targets:
We have 2 CC left so we send 2 fleets with 2 Cruisers and 2 GFs out to invade 2 systems with probably 2 planets each and that 2 spaces away. 2 much?

After round 1 (if everything works out... and in this Thread it does ) we have invaded 6 planets and two nice fleets with invasion forces in striking distance to our neighbour. All thats left is to look at them and arrrr arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
msg tools
FRM_Vicious wrote:

Example:

Jol'Nar
I guess many players know the Jol'Nar opening move.
If you get Trade II and play it as your first action, you get 3 TG + 3 ressources from your HS. If Technology II is played you can buy Micro and Nano Technology and in your next Action you get your planet cards refreshed and usable.

Bonus: If production is played after you get these new ressources you can build another carrier to claim even more planets in round one.

Do you have some "perfect" moves up your sleeve which you would like to share or discuss?

Not to nitpick, but even for Jol-Nar this isn't a guaranteed 'go to' opener.

For example I am currently them, and I felt I was better off not doing it in my game:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204378/pbf-glory-reddit...

Because I would not have been able to reach many of the planets I took without XRD.

I think it is hard to script any race because, as Kelanen mentioned, you will not know what planets or tiles are next to your home system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.