12 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minimum Armor 0 or 1 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Kowalczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
Many action cards (Ice Block, Shield Bash), spells (Tremor/Earthquake, lethal Chill) and units (Amotep Freezers) state that when reducing enemy armor it cannot drop below 1.
On the other hand there is no such information on skill "Howl of the Pack" and unit Shocktroops (but we can assume it should be consistent with the cards above)
AND it is written on Tovak's "Resistance Break" that armor can drop to minimum 0.

So Tovak is the only guy who can produce instakills on enemies, or his skill need to be rewritten ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some movement skills reduce movement cost to minimum 1, others reduce it to minimum 0. I think armor reduction is the same way. Just go with what the cards explicitly say, and if they don't say, treat it as no minimum. That's my answer, and I'm sticking with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit has armor 0 you'ld still have to hit it with something to kill it. Since Attack 1 is your minimum attack, Armor 0 or 1 doesn't make a difference (at least as long as the unit doesn't have a relevant immunity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kowalczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
No, if enemy has armor 0, I need to play Attack 0. So he is killed instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play Attack 0?

btw, from the FAQ:

Q: Can armor drop below 1 (e.g. through Howl of the Pack or Shocktroops from the expansion)?
A: No. Armor can never be less than 1.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Mage_Knight_FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kowalczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
Chris Coyote wrote:
How do you play Attack 0?

btw, from the FAQ:

Q: Can armor drop below 1 (e.g. through Howl of the Pack or Shocktroops from the expansion)?
A: No. Armor can never be less than 1.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Mage_Knight_FAQ

Thank you, that's solid clarification. By the way it is what I expected.
Anyway I am still curious how players used Tovak's Resistance Break in times before Lost Legion

And How to play Attack 0? Well similiarly to BlocK 0 when enemy attack is reduced to 0 it is treated blocked, so if armor is reduced to 0 it should be treated killed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Logically, if you attack with 0 it would be classed as if the attack never actually happened so it must be necessary to attack with a strength of at least 1 to be able to do any damage to an enemy - the armour of 0 would then result in that attack instantly causing damage, resulting in an instant kill.
That seems to me to be in keeping with the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by the FAQ, which says armor can never be reduced to 0, compared with Tovak's skill that clearly states it reduces armor to a minimum of 0. Has that skill been errata'd?

P.S: I agree that you'd still need to play at least some attack to kill an enemy with armor 0, unless the ability says otherwise, so it's sort of a moot point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I'm confused by the FAQ, which says armor can never be reduced to 0, compared with Tovak's skill that clearly states it reduces armor to a minimum of 0. Has that skill been errata'd?

In my recently-published French copy of the game, the skill says "minimum 1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:

In which version did you see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prograft wrote:

In which version did you see that?

I was just going off of what the topic creator said. I also did a search for the skill online, since I didn't have my game handy:

http://unofficialmageknighttheboardgame.wikia.com/wiki/Resis...

So I take it the original version said 0, or didn't specify a minimum, and it was errata'd in the second printing? FWIW, I checked my copy, and it says Minimum 1, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it is just a mistake in the wiki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.