Subject: The nature of Jacks in a Suit game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
Suppose a Clubs game is announced. If a diamond is led for a trick and I hold a 7 of diamonds and the Jack of diamonds can I play the Jack?

I ask because I read that in a suit game the Jacks are treated as belonging to the trump suit so is my Jack of diamonds a diamond or a club?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glaucobacchi wrote:
Suppose a Clubs game is announced. If a diamond is led for a trick and I hold a 7 of diamonds and the Jack of diamonds can I play the Jack?

I ask because I read that in a suit game the Jacks are treated as belonging to the trump suit so is my Jack of diamonds a diamond or a club?

It´s treated as Clubs in this case, so you can´t play the Jack if you still hold your 7 of diamonds or other diamonds.

It may help to imagine suit games to have a suit "Trumps", consisting of the 4 Jacks and the 7 non Jack cards of the suit announced as trump. That´s 11 cards, a number you should keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
Thank you. Understood. That is what I thought.

I played Skat yesterday with two friends. None of us had played before but I had read the rules I found online as many times as I could. We used a normal UK deck (clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades). We struggled to internalise the concept that sometimes (in a Null game) the Jacks are below Queens and have the suit shown on their card and other times they have a different 'rank' and belong to the trump suit. It felt like we were using the wrong cards, i.e. the cards did not help us absorb the rules. I read that Skat is popular in Germany. Do Germans play with cards that have the Jacks marked to make them look more powerful in some way and to de-emphasise their suit markings?

Similarly the Tens sometimes but not always out-rank the Kings. Are these concepts common in German card games? Should I buy a different deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the normal deck we also use in Germany (sometimes a german deck with Eichel, Laub, Herz und Schellen). There are no special Skat cards.

The Jacks and Tens are below the Queens only in Null games and this is easy to remember. And the concept that the Tens are higher than Kings is normal in many german trick taking games like Doppelkopf or Schafkopf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're trying our favourite card game!

I don't think a different deck would help other than for flavour. The decks we use aren't much different from what you have. Mostly we use French suited cards to play Skat. Germans new to Skat and its sister games have exactly the same questions and troubles that you describe. It's just that more of us get used to these concepts at an early age, because they are shared by Skat and, with slight differences, our two other most popular card games Schafkopf and Doppelkopf. It's something you get used to. Also, remember that the changes in rank of tens and jacks only apply to Null games and they work rather differently anyways. Under no other circumstances do these changes occur.

Cheers and have fun!

Nico ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tobias
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've PM'd you details of a player in Coventry who's willing to help you, and details of the British Skat Association.

Enjoy the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.