Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to see the 'Think Fun' version of this pop up on Amazon etc. which is great as it's been on my want list since I saw the kickstarter (which regrettably I couldn't afford at the time).

Additionally I have seen, for a slightly cheaper price, the Kickstarter version. Are there any cosmetic differences between the two editions or additions that one has that the other doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from my random searching around today (for other things game related) I know that the kickstarter version has a bug card and the non kickstarter version has a bug token. The token is cooler. I think you would only want the bug card if you were playing with the for-adults rules on their website:

http://www.robotturtles.com/galapagos/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The kickstarter version has a few more walls and crates. The ThinkFun version has a much better tray in the box to hold the goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shapiro
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
(Game creator here)

All the above comments are spot on. The new version has gold foil and brighter colors, which are a nice touch. The instructions in the new version are also reworked with tons of feedback from backers so they're even better (although you can get them at http://www.thinkfun.com/robotturtles/howtoplay.php if you have the older version).

I have a soft spot for the original Kickstarter edition, but unless you plan to play a lot of Galapagos games (competitive variation for grownups), I would recommend the Thinkfun version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danshapiro wrote:
I have a soft spot for the original Kickstarter edition, but unless you plan to play a lot of Galapagos games (competitive variation for grownups), I would recommend the Thinkfun version.

So you can't play Galapagos with the ThinkFun version?

I have both copies but have yet to play. Was thinking about parting with one of them. I really like the ThinkFun parts but now I don't know what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Galapagos you are supposed to use your bug card (kickstarter version) to reverse someone's program. The Thinkfun version has the bug as a cardboard tile, and therefore not able to be shuffled into the deck. This is the only reason I can think of that would make a difference between the two version for the Galapagos variant.

However, if you are fine with not reversing peoples' program in Galapagos, then the Thinkfun version works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.