Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kolb
United States
Highland Park
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to see people's opinions on Ultimate Werewolf vs. Miller's Hollow. They seem to be the exact same game. Does anyone have a favorite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so many mafia/werewolf-type games.

I think Lupus in Tabula has a way to play with no elimination.

But really, once you read some rules and about the roles, you can use index cards and make your own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
This question does come up occasionally...here's what I post (this was posted a while ago at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4038251#4038251 but is now updated for the "regular" and Deluxe editions):

IHere's why I think Ultimate Werewolf is better (and of course I'm biased, but again, this is why it exists):

1. Better Rules: Ultimate Werewolf: Deluxe Edition has a 4 page getting started guide in addition to a 24 page rule book with tons of examples, scenarios and detailed role descriptions. Considered to be the best werewolf manual out there by far.

2. Ultimate Werewolf has more roles than any other game by far: The most variety in werewolf games, with dozens of unique roles.

3. Plenty of copies of the common roles in each copy of Ultimate Werewolf: you'll always have enough werewolves and villagers. You would have to buy two copies of WoMH in order for large ww games to work (and then you would have to carry two boxes since the cards don't fit in one box).

4. Moderator tips and detailed instructions in the Ultimate Werewolf: Deluxe Edition rulebook. If you're new to moderating, you'll find a script for starting a basic game and lots of helpful advice to get you started to ensure your first game(s) are fun. If you're an experienced moderator, you'll find lots of great ideas to make your werewolf sessions better, faster, and more enjoyable for everyone.

5. No "Little Girl." This is my opinion, but the role tends to cause arguments, break the game, and sour people's opinions of werewolf.

6. Names of the roles right on each Ultimate Werewolf card. The WoMH set, while sporting a unique art style, sacrifices clarity of the role for abstract designs. In Ultimate Werewolf, the cards are clearly labeled and the illustrations back up the names. No one will wonder what role they are, so the game doesn't get wrecked (which has happened several times with the WoMH cards).

7. Ultimate Werewolf has a built-in game balance mechanism. Each card has a value, either positive or negative. Add up the values in your proposed set and the closer to zero you are, the more balanced the game is. If the village team is winning too often, you'll know what cards to remove/add to change the balance in favor of the werewolves.

8. Ultimate Werewolf-only roles like the Drunk (doesn't know his role until the 3rd night), Apprentice Seer (takes over for the Seer when she dies), and dozens more.

9. Ultimate Werewolf has high quality, sleeve-able cards. While the square WoMH cards are unique, you can't sleeve them. The UW cards can be sleeved to ensure that they don't get marked.

10. Ultimate Werewolf has brief descriptions of each role on each card. So you don't get newbies wrecking a game because they don't know what a "Lone Wolf" or any other role does.

11. It's fully compatible with Ultimate Werewolf Artifacts (though you can play Artifacts with any version of werewolf), but the art and references tie in better to UW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kolb
United States
Highland Park
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted, I think I'm sold! Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences. I'll probably pick up the Ultimate Edition tonight (though I would love a comprehensive all-encompassing pack for under $25 for the Ultimate or Deluxe + $10 Wolfpack / Night Terrors + $10 Movie Monsters + $10 Urban Legends = $55 MSRP with the additions very hard to find outside the official UW site) at my local gaming store. I'm so upset that I missed the Kickstarter for this that included all the roles. The Kickstarter page said that the Kickstarter Deluxe included all the things (Not the artpacks, those were extra.)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.