14 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Some advice for the sleeves and extra dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am consindering buying the game and I would like to buy some sleeves too.
How many Fantasy Flight sleeves of wich size do I need?
I guess: 2 packs of the mini ones (1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (41x63 MM)); Two packs of the standart ones (2 1/2" x 3 1/2" (63.5 x 88 MM)); and 1 pack of the tarot ones (2 3/4" x 4 3/4" (70 x 120 MM)).
Is that correct?
Are the extra dice worth buying too? Are they important or rather necessary for a enjoyable game?
Thanks for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Source:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think buying an extra set of dice is helpful, but not necessary. But only buy 1 extra dice pack. I bought two and it was way more than necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes to the extra dice, the four in the base game are just barely enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Rak
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,
Tarot size (FFG orange) - 14 cards
mini ones (FFG yellow) - 56 cards total
standard ones (FFG gray) - 96 total (although 6 cards are pre-build armies - I don't use them = didn't sleeved).

As to extra dice I bought them, cause I don't like to memorize dice roll or to write them down; to be fair it happens only in certain combos (lore cards + unit attack), in my games it occurred about 3-5 times per game. None of the units requires more than 4 dice at standard single attack. So I guess it's nice-to-have, but it definitely is not necessary.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's funny that people sleeve their cards for ANY game...who do you people play with? ha ha. I have games from when I was a kid that I played hundreds of times and the cards are still in wonderful shape.

Just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
I think it's funny that people sleeve their cards for ANY game...who do you people play with? ha ha. I have games from when I was a kid that I played hundreds of times and the cards are still in wonderful shape.

Just saying

Not all cards are as sturdy as others.
Not all players are as kind to your components as you are.
Basic sleeves are very cheap.
If a single card gets marked it will always bug me whenever I see it and I WILL be able to tell what that card says, thus giving me an unfair advantage.

So why WOULDN'T anyone sleeve cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
grubman wrote:

Just saying

Not all cards are as sturdy as others.
Not all players are as kind to your components as you are.
Basic sleeves are very cheap.
If a single card gets marked it will always bug me whenever I see it and I WILL be able to tell what that card says, thus giving me an unfair advantage.

So why WOULDN'T anyone sleeve cards?

I totaly agree with you!
In my opinion, it's a must to sleeve boardgames, containing a lot of cards. I doesn't need expensive ones, just sleeve them at least.
Of course all of us are just playing with normal dudes, no rough ones.
But cards easily bekome scratched, especially the ones with black borders. It Could be some disadvantage too if they are marked, but I'm mostly enjoing cards which are like fresh printed. And this, after the game was played a hundred times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, didn't mean to come across all judgmental. Just making lighthearted conversation. People don't "get" a lot of the things I do to my board games either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically sleeve cards that need a lot of shuffling, especially small cards when I can (because they are a pain to shuffle "normally").

I used to sleeve most of my cards in games, but lately, I think I've decided to just sleeve the ones that get the most physical wear from shuffling or constant handling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Sleeving or not sleeving is personal.
I started sleeving those games with more flimsy cards, the cards from games that get played a lot, and cards that get heavy play (even if the game is not played that often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra dice are a nice addition I feel due to the fact each player can now have their own dice pool now. I feel sleeves are a factor depending on how often you play. If I have a game on the table at least once a week I'll sleeve them, otherwise I don't figure the cards will get enough wear to justify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kert Masters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played without the extra dice pack for a while now. If you have some standard 6 sided dice laying around just use those and assign each symbol a number. If you can't remember what is what, write it on a piece of paper. This is what my friend and I used.

1 = Retreat

2 = Lore

3 = Special Ability

4 = Single Sword

5 = Duel Sword

6 = Ranged Attack

This is much better IMO than trying to remember what you rolled or writing results on paper.

As for sleeves, I used 1 pack (100) of Black Backed Ultra Pros for the standard cards and 2 packs (50) of Fantasy Flight mini sleeves for the small cards. I did not sleeve the scenario cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.