Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror + Assassinate is the AUC's bread-n'-butter move. It's quite powerful because it bypasses the "bases last" rule.

Thematically, how are the AUC assassinating (i.e. destroying) bases? Is there a real-life historical example of the AUC doing this? Just curious. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
See the Design Note in 1.4. A base is not necessarily a military base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelroy wrote:

[1.4] reads, "Bases represent not only training and bivouac facilities but also, for the Insurgents, political administration as well as coca or poppy fields and processing labs."

Ok fair enough, but how are the AUC able to bypass guerrillas or troops/police and destroy any of the above in a way that the Gov't, FARC, or Cartels can't? What's so special about the AUC from a thematic standpoint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Zelroy wrote:

[1.4] reads, "Bases represent not only training and bivouac facilities but also, for the Insurgents, political administration as well as coca or poppy fields and processing labs."

Ok fair enough, but how are the AUC able to bypass guerrillas or troops/police and destroy any of the above in a way that the Gov't, FARC, or Cartels can't? What's so special about the AUC from a thematic standpoint?

The AUC were often protected or outright controlled by political, police, or military leaders. They represent the strong-arm sort of "vigilante" groups who believe they represent the real interests of the government and people, or who work under the false pretense that they represent the protection of the government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:

The AUC were often protected or outright controlled by political, police, or military leaders. They represent the strong-arm sort of "vigilante" groups who believe they represent the real interests of the government and people, or who work under the false pretense that they represent the protection of the government.

It must have been such a fun and exciting place to live in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
Zelroy wrote:

Yes, from what I've read the AUC not only collaborated with the Gov't, many of its members were formerly gov't military.

This suggests infiltration, but I don't recall the AUC being particularly known for this, and again, if the AUC can infiltrate, why not anyone else?

The FARC's kidnap ability makes perfect sense. They did so much of it that I've read somewhere that it became so routine and institutional that they accepted personal checks as ransom payment.

The Cartel's Processing and Cultivating are things you would expect Narco Traffickers to do.

So while I can understand the AUC's Terror Op of running through villages and slaughtering anyone who remotely seems left-leaning, can understand assassinating; I'm having trouble grokking how they bypass defending forces like no one else. The closest thing I can think of is that it is like the Phoenix program in Vietnam where Spec op teams went after ranking VC, but then the conundrum is still there: why just the AUC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hate playing AUC. Such a tiny bank roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assassination can be conducted by one and only person and target one and only person. It is not an attack it's more like a commando op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! My thinking was that AUC had two things in combination that gave it a particularly potent ability for violence against soft targets:

a. A greater ability to infiltrate enemy organizations than Govt forces, and
b. A viciousness and extremity in violence against non-combatants unmatched by its still very violent competitors.

So I was envisioning "Terror + Assassinate" as a souped-up terror in which large groups (like even a whole village) of suspected political supporters are quickly massacred, promptly removing the enemy's political support locally (as opposed to across a Dept or City, mroe broadly, which is represented by the Opposition/Support effect of the Terror).

The prospect for FARC Guerrillas or other defenders of the bases preventing the above is represented by their ability to remove (or just Activate by Sweep for the Govt) the Underground AUC Guerrillas needed to Terror in the first place. If they allow the AUC to sit there underground, oh well ...

Hope that makes sense! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that's a pretty good explanation. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.