Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Blackberry Season in the town where I live, and so my wife and I have been out nearly every second day picking. The experience has some intrinsic rewards, (IE Cobbler) and some definite moments of pain. (Dropping the ripest Blackberries, getting caught in thorns)

There's a Blackberry Festival in a couple of weeks, and I've been thinking about what kind of thematic thing I could make to sell. A game would have to be incredibly simple and really pretty to attract non-gamer attention. And I'd need to be able to craft a dozen or two of them within the next couple weeks.

That's the inspiration behind Blackberry Dice. A tiny little Yahtzee-style game about picking berries and avoiding getting stuck in thorns, composed of three custom dice and nothing else.

The Dice
Each of the three dice have the same six sides:
No Berries
One Berry
Two Berries
Three Berries

Bug
Thorns

The Rules
On your turn:
Roll all of the dice
You may reroll as many dice as you like up to twice
Every time you roll dice, If any of your dice shows a bug, turn one of your dice that shows blackberries to a side that shows one less
You may not reroll dice that show Thorns.
If you roll three Bugs, you get five more rerolls
If all three of your dice show the same number, take the points and take another turn.
After using up all of your rerolls, count your points:
Gain one point per blackberry.
If all three dice show thorns, you get 10 points
Each player takes five turns. Whoever has the most points at the end wins.

And that's it. I'll post a PNP up here soon, I just wanted to get that down. I'm including this in the 2014 Dice Game Contest.

PDF File Here!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this rule work? "If there are any thorns, you gain zero points." This seems like it would put a grinding halt to the game once you've rolled a die twice and it lands on Thorn, right? Just wondering if maybe "a Thorn just counts as a -1 point" would be a better fix for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And after a couple playtests, I came to that exact conclusion. I decided to make the thorns freeze the dice, and added a "shoot the moon" option using them. Here are the revised rules:

The Rules
On your turn:
Roll all of the dice
You may reroll as many dice as you like up to twice
Every time you roll dice, If any of your dice shows a bug, turn one of your dice that shows blackberries to a side that shows one less
You may not reroll dice that show Thorns.
If you roll three Bugs, you get five more rerolls
If all three of your dice show the same number, take the points and take another turn.
After using up all of your rerolls, count your points:
Gain one point per blackberry.
If all three dice show thorns, you get 10 points
Each player takes five turns. Whoever has the most points at the end wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Michael
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a really cool game. Quick play and fun. I am wondering something that may seem obvious. When you say "two rerolls" that means two rolls with as many dice as desired/possible AFTER the initial roll, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carpedm wrote:
This is a really cool game. Quick play and fun. I am wondering something that may seem obvious. When you say "two rerolls" that means two rolls with as many dice as desired/possible AFTER the initial roll, right?

Yeah, Like Yahtzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF File Here!!!

I know you were all super excited about this. cool

I love having a reason to do vector art. There's all kinds of cool shortcuts to make things look cool fast. Example: Wormy's mouth is a squashed multipoint star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.