Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Historicon 2014 SMG Tournament Recap

Hello fellow SMG players!

First off I would like to take the time to thank each and every person that participated in our second HMGS SMG tournament! We had a total of 22 players and 48 games played. This roughly doubled what our turnout and participation at Cold Wars 2014 yielded. This is proof that SMG is growing and hopefully we can have a larger turn out in the future.

Congratulations to the top ten players!
1. Kevin Collins - 154
2. Todd Trahan - 153
3. Jase Williams - 130
4. Jason Williams - 96
5. Bill Edwards – 95
6. Todd Young – 95
7. Dan Alban – 86
8. Chris Corman – 82
9. Parker Wyttenbach – 67
10. Michael Stikeleather - 58

Games were played on both Friday and Saturday from 10am – 8pm. From the start we had players sorting soldiers and getting ready for their games as early as 8am! We had 6 Tournament tables setup with ample seating along with one full time Demo table to teach new players the game system. It was extremely busy during the convention peak times and we had a lot of new player picking up their base games and soldiers.

There was never a shortage of players and the games were plentiful. Some of the players were veterans that have been playing SMG for years but it was refreshing seeing the amount new players joining in! Thanks to the "vets" who helped out our newer players of SMG. You really helped make the event extremely friendly and approachable. I cannot thank you all enough!

Overall, the tournament went extremely smooth. The changes in rules with grenades worked well. The changes with X Terrain seemed to answer some looming questions people had about playing. With so many players actively playing with it we were able to have a brain storming session about the mechanics of X Terrain and we have a much clearer picture of exactly how address this is the new upcoming rules changes.

Here is a shot at the upcoming Manor X Terrain. This is just one of 3 pieces that will be going into the package. It is still a prototype but is very close to release.

We will be hosting SMG at WBC in Lancaster, PA next week. That has always been a great venue for all types of players to get exposed to all kinds of gaming. I encourage everyone who is able to try and make it.

Our next HMGS Tournament will be held at Fall In! - Lancaster, PA. Look for the event details in the PEL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only was able to play on Friday, but enjoyed playing in the tournament. Both games I played were back-and-forth affairs that went right down to the wire.

I think it says something for the accessibility of the game that the game I lost was to a brand new player who I had just explained the rules to before we started playing. He benefited from my assistance with unit selection (he played against me with my own squad of German sharpshooters!) and a favorable table position, but he still picked up the game quickly and played it well.

Thanks again for organizing, and for the generous prizes!

-Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun was had by all.

Quick question though. When do you anticipate the release of the new x-terrain rules update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Johnny hastily dug a foxhole, careful not to damage the sticky bomb detonator. The tank rumbled nearer. Fear of being crushed or spotted consumed him; yet seconds later, he deftly slapped the bomb onto a greasy gear and spun for cover, snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that were there, was the incentive to throw grenades deemed at least equal to the decision to fire at close range instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking, Tim.

After what finally looks like marginal playtesting, it was good to hear that some dangling issues might be covered and then felt like a tease that those new ideas were not passed on to the rest of us.

And agree with you Brian. This helps grenades maybe be worth something, and also helps address the negative potential of someone stacking his squad with zero/few kill/wound results (If he avoids close combat, it's a winning formula, and if opponents both do it, it's the endless game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, Brian and Bill +1thumbsup And the KEY question is: when is the release of new XTerrain rules? whistle new grenade rules are important too, but XTerrain is screaming the loudest now cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for setting up the tournament it was loads of fun. I bought a new set of Germans and they played well, but I had to load up some different types of troops for my style of play. Hope to play again in future tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leg Infantry
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All,
I must have missed the initial post of this but thought I would weigh in on the tournament.

I participated in the SMG Tournament at Historicon 2014 and I had a terrific time. I only played in two games but I was more into teaching than playing for all the marbles. Needless to say I did not come in the top 10 people. However, there were more people playing, twenty-two players according to an email from Rob Belli and that was more than at Cold Wars.

My first game was against Buford, who was a very good opponent but still learning the game although he has been playing for some time. He had US Paratroopers and actually had about three or four super soldiers. The mission for both of us was to patrol and eliminate the opponent’s soldiers. The only X-Terrain on the board was the large hill from Hasty Positions. It was midway between us but since I had more cards (thus the initiative) it was likely I would have the MOVE cards to get to and occupy the terrain feature – which is what happened. With only 6 cards to my 10 I felt confident that I would have enough moves to be able to reach the hill whereas I also felt that Buford would come up short on one of the phases of movement.

Once I reached the hill and occupied it my soldiers were able to sight the paratroopers. I had a machine-gun working as a team and with extra ammunition was able to fire every phase. This took a toll on Buford but was not the reason he was not able to fulfill his mission. During the game I was telling him not to lead with his leader. He did not heed those words and with a three card draw leader eliminated he reverted to only drawing three cards. Not good for Buford. Additionally, I counselled him to take better shots, like short rather than long shots as there was a greater probability to hit with shorter shots. Buford disagreed a number of times but finally he understood. It will make him a better player, especially as the short shot soldier was already spotted while the long range soldier was not.

One additional aspect of the game was dealt with. Man for man, I explained, his soldiers were better than my Germans. However, mine were working as a team and because of this I could be on par with his soldiers. Coupled with better (more) leadership this gave me a distinct advantage and also added flexibility. Buford got the message and although he lost the game 24 – 0 (of which we ended early – we stopped so that three of his soldiers would not get eliminated) he learned a lot and I was told he went and purchased a Tactics Module that I am sure he will put to good use.

The next game I had was with Keith and there was also a good deal of learning in this one to. Keith was a tactically skilled player who had British Paratroopers. Again, pound for pound considerably better than my soldiers. We had similar missions with him needing to recon all of the landmarks. He said he had misread his mission but had he done so, it would have taken him into the open where he was sure he would have lost the game. As it was the game reverted to a firefight with my machinegun in the X-Terrain Church and his soldiers a new piece of X-Terrain that is not out yet, two houses with a covered archway joining both houses.

During the game one of my soldiers yelled to the machine-gunner, “Can’t you hit anything?” The machine-gunner, enraged by that time took out a Luger and shot him in the arm, saying, “Yah, I can hit you.” Thus one of my men was wounded by his own squad member! I play for the story mostly.

With both sides sustaining losses, Keith moved two of his men to try to accomplish the mission. I moved three of my men (two leaders). I was able to spot his men but he was not able to spot mine. On what ended up being the last turn I had a card that said that three of my men could move, throw hand grenades and shoot. I moved to close to Combat Contact but could not get in base to base contact. I threw the two grenades I had and missed with both of them and then I had a fateful decision. Do I shoot with three close shots? I did and hit about seven times. I pinned both of the enemy soldiers but the rest were zips. Then he shot at me and killed two of my men. With that we ended the game. He played well and deserved the win. I should have held my fire and closed with him into Combat Contact on the next turn. With the initiative and numbers the chances are pretty high that I would have prevailed. But it was not to be and I too learned something in a 36 to 12 loss. (He was given the completion of the mission’s points).

I thought both games were good, interesting and fun and my opponents were both gentlemen that I would welcome another chance to play. The tournament was well run and that is not always possible when you have a tournament going and teaching new players at the same time in the same area. Kudos to Rob for meshing those two components in. The fact that we were in the path between the tournaments and the regular games being played probably helped as many people saw what was happening and stopped to either learn or take it all in. Finally, I thought LBG was quite generous with the swag that will be given for those that participated. Too many times it is only those that won. Not so here. I hope no one thinks ill of those intentions as I have been playing tournaments for far too long to think that all companies all all TOs run their giveaways like that. There are times to appreciate some things - this is one of them.

For those not able to get to Historicon, I hope you make it to Fall-In. You will have fun while still having a challenging gaming experience. Whether you play two games like I did or play many more like some others, I do not think you will be disappointed and it can't help but make you a better player.
Best,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AA report...any news on rules clarifications? Further explanations of XTerrain? Which grenade rules did you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Edwards
msg tools
The rules for XTerrain were those described in the "New Official Tournament Rules" thread on this forum. Rob Belli was immediately available to answer any questions players had about those rules. The grenade rules used were also the new version. A hit result was pulled in the normal manner for each soldier under the blast template. If one or more hits were scored then a damage check was made from each player's deck for each hit scored. Consequently, grenades became much more effective than before.

Overall, it was an extraordinarily well run and pleasant tournament experience. There were five tables set up for players to use. Each table had a different layout and mission. XTerrain was available, but players were given the option to play the board with or without that XTerrain. I found every player I met to be friendly and helpful. There was none of the cutthroat attitude I have experienced in tournaments for other games. Additionally, prize support was extremely generous. Every player who participated in at least two games qualified for some level of prize.

After this sort of highly enjoyable experience I am very much looking forward to participating in another SMG tournament at the next conference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce E. Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has LBG posted the tournament scenarios anywhere so that those of us who couldn't make the trek east can play the same scenarios in our own midst?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
cv3saratoga wrote:
Has LBG posted the tournament scenarios anywhere so that those of us who couldn't make the trek east can play the same scenarios in our own midst?
Ummmm....so far, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.