Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Android: Netrunner - Online Ladder and Tournaments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
iain gavin
msg tools
I have setup a website with an Android: Netrunner ladder as well as the ability to do as many ladders and tournaments(Knockout) as required.

The site is completely free to join, has lots of functionality including chat within the ladder page and PMs etc for easy matchmaking. If you are interested then check it out at http://www.thetournamentgamer.com

Feel free to take part in the forums or make use of the site at any time and let me know if you have any questions or would like more ladders/tournaments added.

Once more the url is www.thetournamentgamer.com

Once signed up you can use this direct link to view and join the Android: Netrunner Ladder. www.thetournamentgamer.com/standings.php?lid=22

Hope to see some of you there and if you have any questions or recommendations please let me know.
Boostybleep


IMPORTANT NOTE. You will not receive a verification email as ive turned that option off. You can just login with your username and password once signed up
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to provide some honest feedback, if I have to make an account I'm really unlikely to use the website. Supporting oauth would be really nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iain gavin
msg tools
DrTall wrote:
Just want to provide some honest feedback, if I have to make an account I'm really unlikely to use the website. Supporting oauth would be really nice.


Dr Tall,

Thanks for the honest opinion. The website tracks your victories and defeats in all games on all ladders. I dont see how thats possible without being able to identify the user through a logon. It also sends messages when you receive challenges etc and again I dont see how you could do this without being able to identify a player and send the messages to them.

May I ask why you are so averse to signing up. You dont need to put any personal details at all. Since I dont require email verification for signup then even your proper email is not required.

Regards
Boostybleep
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really that I don't want to have Yet Another account with a password. If you are using oauth, you can still track anything you want based on the account, except it is a single click for me to login.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iain gavin
msg tools
DrTall wrote:
It is really that I don't want to have Yet Another account with a password. If you are using oauth, you can still track anything you want based on the account, except it is a single click for me to login.


You did notice the login forever ? Therefore you wont need even a single click.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, but I'm using multiple devices and I'm assuming that even with that I will need to login to each of them individually, despite already being logged into Google which is an identity provider.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iain gavin
msg tools
DrTall wrote:
Er, but I'm using multiple devices and I'm assuming that even with that I will need to login to each of them individually, despite already being logged into Google which is an identity provider.


Im sorry the website isnt going to be of use to you. I will keep your suggestions in mind for any future development.

Boostybleep
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boostybleep wrote:
DrTall wrote:
It is really that I don't want to have Yet Another account with a password. If you are using oauth, you can still track anything you want based on the account, except it is a single click for me to login.


You did notice the login forever ? Therefore you wont need even a single click.


This will be a philosophical issue for some people. Remembering passwords sucks. We all use multiple devices, so when you jump on your iphone to log a game 6 months from now, you'll forget the password.

Of course, some of people hate OAth because you don't want to give more information to (Google / Facebook / whoever)

Honestly, I won't stress about it. Lots of sites (BGG even!) still require individual signup.

Here's some good reading on the subject from 2008
http://blog.codinghorror.com/openid-does-the-world-really-ne...


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boostybleep wrote:
DrTall wrote:
Er, but I'm using multiple devices and I'm assuming that even with that I will need to login to each of them individually, despite already being logged into Google which is an identity provider.


Im sorry the website isnt going to be of use to you. I will keep your suggestions in mind for any future development.

Boostybleep


Thanks for considering the feedback! :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brett wagner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:

Remembering passwords sucks.


The problem is of course if someone hacks your facebook account, now they also have your bank (though most 'important' accounts don't support single singin solutions like OAuth for just this reason). Another option is password management software like 1password, but that confers risk as well (someone owns your box and installs a keylogger and get's all the keys to the kingdom potentially).

In this case, even though OAuth can be a bear to integrate it's probably not such a big deal.. I'd probably be more concerned about someone getting that twitter or facebook password than my access to a card game ladder site.

After taking a quick look it looks like you just license this setup from EliteGamingLadders.com and it looks like the core of the software is built on Joomla (ick.) so I don't know how much control over your environment you have. However a quick search found an extension that handles OAuth connections to a ridiculous number of providers in the space (including g+, twitter and fb). If you do have the ability, the skills and the motivation you could check it out.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/si...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I use my Google ID for logins because if you get my Gmail you can already password reset any website so there's not much extra risk to letting an attacker login directly. Plus, the 2-factor on the Google account makes it more secure than my other logins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iain gavin
msg tools
Thanks for your ideas.

The site is there to provide a method for gamers to record results and take part in ladders and tournaments for fun. I cant see the login method being changed for the foreseeable future as the site is a pet hobby and is provided to you free of charge. If a player cant accept the login method or any other aspect of the site then please PM me the details and feel free to avoid it.

If however you can accept the site as is then I heartily welcome you and hope to play a game sometime.

Scrap the above if the site suddenly starts make $10k per day in advertising, then obviously I will address as many issues as you can throw at me.

Boostybleep

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for considering the feedback. I certainly am not upset by your decision to leave it as-is, because it is as you say your project and a free service. I appreciate you thinking about my suggestions even if you are declining them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.