Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Redirecting Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Assume that Iron Legacy is out, and he has a Superhuman Redirection in play (redirect the first instance of 5+ damage to a hero target).

I'm playing Nightmist, and have both an Elder Ring (+1 damage) and an Amulet of the Elder Gods (discard 2, redirect the first damage i would take) in play.

Iron Legacy, for whatever reason, hits me for 5 melee damage. I choose to discard 2 cards and redirect that damage back at Iron Legacy.

What is now the source of this damage? When Iron Legacy first throws the damage at me, I'm 99% sure the damage is coming from Iron Legacy. When Nightmist redirects it, is this damage still considered to come from Iron Legacy? Do I now take ownership of this damage now that I redirect it? Does Elder Ring increase this damage? I'm not technically "dealing" the damage, I'm redirecting it from another source, so would that mean it doesn't get increased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redirection does not change the original source of the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I had a situation like this in a game today, involving a Nemesis bonus.

Legacy is lowest HP. He can the card in play where he can take damage for others, and has -1 Damage from another card.
Wraith is highest HP. She has smoke bombs in play, which is a redirect to highest and -1 Damage.

Blade blasts Legacy for 4 DMG, plus 1 for a total of 5 because he's that stinking do-gooder.

Wraith pops a smoke bomb and leaps in Blade's way. That doesn't change the fact that Blade still thinks he's punching Legacy. Damage is reduced by 1 from the smoke bombs, now sitting at 4

Then Legacy jumps in the way int he confusion of the smoke to take one for the team. His fortitude knocks another 1 off of the damage, making it sit at 3.

The nemesis bonus was never lost because the whole time Blade thought he was punching Legacy.

Wrong on 2 counts -
1. Smoke Bombs are mandatory and will redirect whenever the lowest HP hero takes damage, so in this case Wraith will end up taking the damage.

2. Damage modifiers such as Smoke Bombs, Nemesis and Fortitude are recalculated whenever the target changes.

As a result, Wraith will end up taking 3 damage (the original 4, -1 for Smoke Bomb redirection, no modification for Nemesis or Fortitude.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brownsword
msg tools
Redirection gets confusing quickly I'll admit, but the important thing to remember is that each time it's redirected only count the original damage and then apply any modifiers to the damage.

For example:

Mr. Fixer, Wraith and anyone else vs. the Ennead.

Wraith has Smoke Bombs in play, Mr. Fixer has Driving Mantis and Pipe Wrench in play. Wraith has the lowest HP and Mr. Fixer has the highest. Numbers in brackets are the current damage dealt.

1. Shu targets Wraith for 4 Infernal Damage. (4)
2. Smoke Bombs redirect this to Mr. Fixer applying -1 to the damage. (3)
3. Pipe Wrench applies another -1. (2)
4. Mr. Fixer redirects it to Set. (4)
5. Nemesis bonus takes effect giving it +1. (5)
6. Shu deals Set 5 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schmitt
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluedarky wrote:

1. Shu targets Wraith for 4 Infernal Damage. (4)
2. Smoke Bombs redirect this to Mr. Fixer applying -1 to the damage. (3)
3. Pipe Wrench applies another -1. (2)
4. Mr. Fixer redirects it to Set. (4)
5. Nemesis bonus takes effect giving it +1. (5)
6. Shu deals Set 5 damage.

I think step 4. Mr. Fixer redirects it to Set. (4) actually only does 3 because the Smoke Bomb -1 still applies. It's a reduction on the redirect, not on the damage dealt to Wraith so it still applies. Steps 5 and 6 would be one lower as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.