Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on this kick recently as far as my iOS purchases are concerned with adventure games where you solve a mystery, and I realized that there isn't a single game (that I'm aware of) that scratches this itch. I'm not talking Clue, or Mystery Express, or Alibi or Mystery of the Abbey - I don't feel like I'm sleuthing in these games where you are looking for which card is missing.

Is anyone familiar with a game where you do a more in depth analysis. Question suspects, solve puzzles, cross reference statements, etc etc? Or, something that doesn't meet all this criteria but takes a better stab at it than the games listed above.

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases

It's fantastic with the right group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Gumshoe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is semi-related...if you own the Wii (the original, not the Wii U), there's a great mystery game, Guilty Party For what it is, it's great. Don't sure how much it scratches that mystery itch, but I also love solve-a-mystery games, and this game at least falls along the lines.

Just my 2-cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: This game is a very open-ended story experience. You are presented with some opening to a mystery, and you decide what leads you want to follow up on, gaining access to more story which may or may not be relevant to the case.

Also, how about Letters from Whitechapel: In this game, one player is Jack the Ripper and the others play as police officers. Jack's movement is kept secret as he runs around the board, trying to collect five kills and make it back to his secret hideout without getting caught. The police search for clues of where Jack has been, trying to narrow down where his hideout is and potentially block him off from it so they can arrest him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game is an older one that's pretty easy to find. It has the roll-and-move mechanic, but I think that's more to artificially space time out between clues you receive. You travel around a board finding clues to a mystery, and when you think you know the answer, you go back to Sherlock's home to state what you think happened. If you're right, you win. If you're wrong, you're out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about a mystery game like this too. One where you are actually using deductive skills and linking evidence. Board games seem to struggle with these aspect for a couple of inherent reasons.

That being said, the closest "feel" I ever got to a mystery type game are some of the variants to Android.

I had an idea for a mystery game that required someone else to set up the game but not even participate. They were basically a glorified randomizer, but that was the only way I could secretly link one element to another without the player knowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1000 for Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. Great game and loved by the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always on the hunt for a board game like you describe. I actually get that itch scratched best, though, with the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-Roleplaying-Lovecraft-Edi...

I recently ordered Trail of Cthulhu, too, which takes a different approach to clue gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
newkillerstar27 wrote:
221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game is an older one that's pretty easy to find. It has the roll-and-move mechanic, but I think that's more to artificially space time out between clues you receive. You travel around a board finding clues to a mystery, and when you think you know the answer, you go back to Sherlock's home to state what you think happened. If you're right, you win. If you're wrong, you're out of the game.

Very fun game that you should probably be able to get inexpensive used. The time spent playing this and the old Commodore-64 version, wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.