Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly as a Wargamer, what a fantastic game this is, in terms of components and gameplay. I love the idea of launching the troops into the battle and losing control of it all! Works brilliantly.

Secondly as an Ayrshireman, I was thrilled to see Lord Semphill as a component of the game. I often visited his very remote tomb in his Collegiate church on the Ayrshire/Renfrewsire border. Very atmospheric, and evocative of the disaster which this battle was for Scotland.

Thirdly, I wonder if this was the bloodiest day in Scots history? Was this the Scottish Antietam? I think more died here in a single day than in any other day, thought I am prepared to be set right on it.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
I'm not sure if it was Scotland's bloodiest day (although I think it was); but I believe the Scottish host at Flodden was the largest Scotland ever fielded.

It was certainly my family tree's "Antietam": I lost six ancestors at Flodden, as well as an ancestral uncle and half-uncle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1austria wrote:
Firstly as a Wargamer, what a fantastic game this is, in terms of components and gameplay. I love the idea of launching the troops into the battle and losing control of it all! Works brilliantly.

Secondly as an Ayrshireman, I was thrilled to see Lord Semphill as a component of the game. I often visited his very remote tomb in his Collegiate church on the Ayrshire/Renfrewsire border. Very atmospheric, and evocative of the disaster which this battle was for Scotland.

Thirdly, I wonder if this was the bloodiest day in Scots history? Was this the Scottish Antietam? I think more died here in a single day than in any other day, thought I am prepared to be set right on it.

Any thoughts?

Proportionally it must be up there; absolutely... Pinkie Cleugh must have been close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
I'm not sure if it was Scotland's bloodiest day (although I think it was); but I believe the Scottish host at Flodden was the largest Scotland ever fielded.

It was certainly my family tree's "Antietam": I lost six ancestors at Flodden, as well as an ancestral uncle and half-uncle!

Which parts of the country?

I was keen on giving Flodden some coverage because it was the real Scotland - mostly Borders and Lowlands - that fought - not the Whisky advert Mel Gibson kilty claymore Scotland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
amacleod wrote:

Which parts of the country?

I was keen on giving Flodden some coverage because it was the real Scotland - mostly Borders and Lowlands - that fought - not the Whisky advert Mel Gibson kilty claymore Scotland.

In spite of my last name, I don't have a single ancestor on that side of the family who fought at Flodden; my Flodden-fodder are all on my father's mother's side, and they were all Lowlanders, born and raised....with the possible exception of Archibald Campbell, 2nd Earl of Argyll: I have no idea where he was born, but as a Campbell, I would expect he was born in the Highlands...maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world....my mother was a MacLeod, and that would tie in with it being a lowlanders battle. The MacLeods were from Skye and so were Highlanders.

I have attached a link to Castle Semple Collegiate Church, the resting place of Lord Semple. It is very unusual as although the Scottish nobility took a pounding at Flodden, few bodies were apparently returned to their families. Contemporary commentators spoke of burial pits used for the bodies of the Scots, although the really puzzling feature of the battle is that very little archaeologically has turned up, although the battlefield itself is beautifully preserved.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/property...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1austria wrote:
It is very unusual as although the Scottish nobility took a pounding at Flodden, few bodies were apparently returned to their families. Contemporary commentators spoke of burial pits used for the bodies of the Scots, although the really puzzling feature of the battle is that very little archaeologically has turned up, although the battlefield itself is beautifully preserved.

Of course, did James IV really die, hmmmm?......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
1austria wrote:
It is very unusual as although the Scottish nobility took a pounding at Flodden, few bodies were apparently returned to their families. Contemporary commentators spoke of burial pits used for the bodies of the Scots, although the really puzzling feature of the battle is that very little archaeologically has turned up, although the battlefield itself is beautifully preserved.

Of course, did James IV really die, hmmmm?......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23993363

If at first you don't succeed
Use the boot, and then the heid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.