Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

King of New York» Forums » General

Subject: Will I want to play Tokyo version again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it has been said that King of New York is a completely separate game which appears to be more interesting is there any reason if the 2 games are sitting on the shelf together that I will ever grab KoT?
I'm thinking, other than it adding more monsters as options, why would I not sell KoT knowing KoNY will essentially replace it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing. It's possible that adding more to an otherwise streamlined game won't necessarily make it better...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I cannot see wanting to play this one. No powers makes it just another board. I like the monsters being unique and having their abilities. Maybe I'd think about it if it had the powers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
What if... King of New York: Power Up? :O then you're in a dilemma...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am just assuming, but I expect there to be power up expansions down the road for this version too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xiongie wrote:
What if... King of New York: Power Up? :O then you're in a dilemma...


Then yes, it would make it more interesting instead of just Monster A like the original KoT which I did not get until the Power Up expansion and I have no desire for the lame Penguin because he has no powers. Anyway, enough rant. Please do not take this as condemning those who want the game sans powers, this is just my personal opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Haha, the problem with that is... that's going to be like a normal game + expansions which is more costly. I hope they put the powerups in directly, and those who doesn't want to play it with powers can just exclude them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.


What problem is this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe kony is more complicated then kot?...but i see your point...no reason to play twilight imperium 2ed when i have 3ed...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
or save $ and just stick with tokyo (which I assume you already have)





imo no thanks to a re-themed game that has you do the exact same thing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Carr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One day the apes will rule the earth. I'll be safe but I don't fancy your chances much.
badge
Nothing to see here, go read something else.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
any reason if the 2 games are sitting on the shelf together that I will ever grab KoT?


Without seeing the full rule set of KoNY, what's been shown already suggests to me a much deeper game (multiple locations, units fighting back etc) than KoT. So I could see myself grabbing KoNY when I want a more involved game but still playing KoT when I want something quick and simple (or when I'm trying to get someone hooked on boardgames, KoT is a brilliant "gateway" game).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KongTheApe wrote:
mrranch wrote:
any reason if the 2 games are sitting on the shelf together that I will ever grab KoT?


but still playing KoT when I want something quick and simple



I was thinking about this how we will play KoT with my 5 year old minus the power ups, but when playing with adults, even new to games adults, I will always defer to the more complicated rules with evolution cards anyhow.
I would love to keep both but between too much money already sunk into this addictive hobby and space getting limited on the shelves I am somewhat reluctantly looking to sell all my KoT stuff. free up a little of both money and space to make way for New York which looks fun with things like jets, boroughs, superstar powers, removal of the 1/2/3 dice, and more. I fear if I wait everyone may come to realize KoNY is better and the value of KoT may sadly see a drop.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
Avatar
mbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.

Or....... don't play with boring people. yuk
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about wait and see how it plays and then you can decide?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.


You are in luck, the new dice don't have numbers on them anymore. That should force players to actually try to fight each other. haha
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
I am sure like most in the thread I also own KoT with all the expansions. I just watched the KoNY review, and it looks similar enough to where I would only want one OR the other.

What I don't know yet is whether I am more interested in KoNY because it's the new/shiney or because I would actually like it better.

I think the complexity is increased, but in a more horizontal direction than vertical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
YourHero wrote:
I am sure like most in the thread I also own KoT with all the expansions. I just watched the KoNY review, and it looks similar enough to where I would only want one OR the other.

What I don't know yet is whether I am more interested in KoNY because it's the new/shiney or because I would actually like it better.

I think the complexity is increased, but in a more horizontal direction than vertical.


I'm in complete agreement with you. I don't think it has added enough to justify having both games take up space on the shelf. I think KoNY looks the better game so I'll probably just use that with the KoT monsters adde din as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muz333 wrote:
YourHero wrote:
I am sure like most in the thread I also own KoT with all the expansions. I just watched the KoNY review, and it looks similar enough to where I would only want one OR the other.

What I don't know yet is whether I am more interested in KoNY because it's the new/shiney or because I would actually like it better.

I think the complexity is increased, but in a more horizontal direction than vertical.


I'm in complete agreement with you. I don't think it has added enough to justify having both games take up space on the shelf. I think KoNY looks the better game so I'll probably just use that with the KoT monsters adde din as well.


Just do what Vasel is gonna do and throw out the inserts and put it all in one box, then you don't need more shelf space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks as if both would easily fit in the same box.
E
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
I copied a design I saw on bgg, but I made myself an insert.


I was not super efficient with the space as I saved room if I decided to sleeve the cards, so I might be able to squeeze in more...great now I have to buy some more foam core. OR just ditch the insert all together and use tuckboxes and baggies.

You guys are right though, if I cannot decide just keep both. I just think that I would almost never play one or the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to combine with nice organization you'll love the Broken Token organizer! I know I do. See it here:
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/king-of-tokyo-box-organizer/
It definitely still has the spare room after Tokyoand expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.

The Dice Tower review specifically mentions this, and they said it's much more difficult to "turtle" for VP in KoNY due to the new mechanics and different dice. It's a much more aggressive game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One thing I don't like about KoT is because of the VP that u can get from the dice result. Now KoNY totally get rid of it by replacing it with new mechanics which I'm definitely eager to try it out and see how it works.
Anyway I just sold my KoT and I'm ready for this

I'm kinda disagree people who said if you don't like KoT then should avoid getting this. I'm the one who don't like KoT but I'm really looking forward to KoNY and feeling excited!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
JoyrexJ9 wrote:
hpbruin wrote:
Unless they've fixed the problem of just rolling for victory points then I'm not going to buy it.

The Dice Tower review specifically mentions this, and they said it's much more difficult to "turtle" for VP in KoNY due to the new mechanics and different dice. It's a much more aggressive game


Yeah. From everything I've been seeing it looks like they did fix this problem. I am much more interested in this game now. I like the added complexities and think this one will go over much better with my group. I'm excited to try it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.